PDA

View Full Version : An Idea to Increase TV Ratings

sundaydriver
03-11-03, 10:30 AM
I think CART needs to dip into the sex appeal bucket. I propose naked pit lane reporters. Maybe make a contest out of it a week before the race. Each contesant would have the opportunity to strut their stuff in a contest judged by the CART drivers. The winner gets to roam the pits naked, reporting on how each team is doing during the race.

I think if the cameras gave enough time to the model, more people would tune in. Think of the demographics. Middle age men with cash to spare would find out just how exicting Champ Car racing is. Pretty soon CCWS would be the talk of the town and ratings would soar. :thumbup:

What do you think? ;)

Spicoli
03-11-03, 10:46 AM
yes.

pchall
03-11-03, 11:38 AM
This is a Gen-X sport with a middle-aged audience.

I don't know if the radical disconnect between today's youth and this product can be overcome.

This might be why we need a turbo 2.0l four ricer formula...

mnkywrch
03-11-03, 12:27 PM
If you want the GenX crowd, send Jeremy McGrath to CART boot camp.

Get him up to speed ASAP in Champ Cars, however you can do it.

Put him on the grid in 2004.

He can't be much worse than the current backmarkers - and he's got a name.

pchall
03-11-03, 12:35 PM
That may be the way to do it.

Gen-X will have the dollars in the future. My car buying choice for the last thirty years were greatly influenced by the racing I followed as a pre-teen.

pchall
03-11-03, 12:56 PM
Now that I have had all my morning coffee I would like to add that the only way I can see increasing tv audience is for CART to auction off Danica Patrick to the next available hot star by public "vote" on some "actuality' show.

The audience on over-the-air-tv sucks right now.

They don't deserve CART races over the air because they are unable to understand real life or real sport.

sundaydriver
03-11-03, 01:01 PM
I agree with all the above PLUS hot naked women roaming the pits during the race. :D

Napoleon
03-11-03, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by pchall
This might be why we need a turbo 2.0l four ricer formula...

I think you are right.

rabbit
03-11-03, 02:20 PM
As a Gen Xer myself, I have to agree with the Jeremy McGrath and 2.0L ideas.:thumbup:

Yes, sex does sell, but IMO it is oversold. This generation likes things on the edge. That's the message CART needs to get out there, just how "on the edge" this sport is.

mnkywrch
03-11-03, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
This generation likes things on the edge. That's the message CART needs to get out there, just how "on the edge" this sport is.

You've also got the "barrier to entry" issue.

A kid can pretty easily pickup a skateboard or bike and act like his "extreme" hero.

Kinda hard to replicate in motor racing...

rabbit
03-11-03, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Kinda hard to replicate in motor racing... racing sims, karts

That's also the best argument for the 2.0 turbo. Nowadays it seems I see as many kids in Civics with giant wings as I do kids on skateboards.

mnkywrch
03-11-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
racing sims, karts

Little bit more expensive...

That's also the best argument for the 2.0 turbo. Nowadays it seems I see as many kids in Civics with giant wings as I do kids on skateboards.

Then why not have the 2005 formula look like the set from The Fast and The Furious?

I have no idea why the NHRA isn't going full-bore after that market.

nrc
03-11-03, 03:31 PM
If you want to connect to a younger audience you need to form a direct connection between karting and CART. You need to fast track talents like Almendinger and Hand straight up the ladder and into CART while they're still young.

mnkywrch
03-11-03, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by nrc
If you want to connect to a younger audience you need to form a direct connection between karting and CART. You need to fast track talents like Almendinger and Hand straight up the ladder and into CART while they're still young.

Why bother?

Pook said in Autoweek that Atlantics wasn't a good training ground for CART talent.

Besides, the only owner to hire an Atlantics driver for 2003 just happened to manage said driver.