PDA

View Full Version : its promotion but i am not sure it helps

coolhand
07-26-05, 02:25 AM
http://www.nbc11.com/sanjosegrandprix/index.html

click on the CEO racer story and watch the video.

they act like he is going to race in the "san Jose Grand Prix" when in fact he is a Atlantic C2 entrant who only raced on Long Beach this year.

To a prospective new fan this would make champ car appear like a series where 40+ year old rich guys race in casually. They fail to mention he is a second rate participant in a support series.

i would have had them rather not do the story :mad:

Dr. Corkski
07-26-05, 05:34 AM
KNTV here is a joke anyways, probably worst of the local stations with a major broadcaster, and they are backed by NBC $$$. Consistent with San Jose's unrivaled level of apathy they didn't even bother doing a piece on two local stars that are actually driving in the main event. Then again you probably can't expect too much from those clowns since they are the only Bay Area major broadcaster not based in a real city. Anyone that read or saw that won't even remember the name Ishikawa by Friday anyways.

Ishikawa's probably spying on my comp as I am typing this. :laugh:

rabbit
07-26-05, 09:42 AM
Check out the "Champ Car" they have pictured with the "Residents Upset Over Grand Prix Street Closure" story. :rolleyes:

Where is CCWS' advance PR?

Andrew Longman
07-26-05, 09:49 AM
Gotta love the grabber on the left:

"NBC11's TJ Holmes reports on what makes San Jose the perfect place for the San Jose Grand Prix."

Where else would you run the SJGP? :shakehead

I don't like that they literally moved people out of their homes for the race. That doesn't seem like a good PR situation and a risk the promoters shouldn't have taken.

racer2c
07-26-05, 10:08 AM
Sounds like DC. I hate single year events. :thumdown:

Steve99
07-26-05, 10:55 AM
With the way the courts are leaning these days those people are lucky they still have their homes. The city could just use eminent domain to take them for "economic development" reasons.

coolhand
07-26-05, 08:38 PM
Check out the "Champ Car" they have pictured with the "Residents Upset Over Grand Prix Street Closure" story. :rolleyes:

Where is CCWS' advance PR?

i read it and it was only 9 residents :rolleyes:

cameraman
07-26-05, 08:47 PM
True but I would be mighty pissed if it was my house.
(But only if it was an IRL race)
Otherwise I'd be on my roof with the cameras

coolhand
07-26-05, 08:51 PM
True but I would be mighty pissed if it was my house.
(But only if it was an IRL race)
Otherwise I'd be on my roof with the cameras

its only 9 homes, just give them VIP access to the race and stuff for the weekend. It should not cost them to much to buy them off for 3 days.

FCYTravis
07-26-05, 09:27 PM
That driver wasn't just at Long Beach. Mark Ishikawa entered and raced in the Atlantics at Monterrey and Portland.

He will be racing at the San Jose Grand Prix. Just not in the Champ Car Grand Prix of San Jose. Don't blame Mark for milking his Atlantics entry for all it's worth, PR-wise. That's what he's supposed to do. Maybe you should be asking why the local Champ Car drivers aren't bothering to exploit the same angle.

BTW, Champ Car is a series where 20-year-old rich kids race in casually. C'est la vie.

JohnnyQ
07-26-05, 10:16 PM
That driver wasn't just at Long Beach. Mark Ishikawa entered and raced in the Atlantics at Monterrey and Portland.

He will be racing at the San Jose Grand Prix. Just not in the Champ Car Grand Prix of San Jose. Don't blame Mark for milking his Atlantics entry for all it's worth, PR-wise. That's what he's supposed to do. Maybe you should be asking why the local Champ Car drivers aren't bothering to exploit the same angle.

BTW, Champ Car is a series where 20-year-old rich kids race in casually. C'est la vie.

Right on Brother.

coolhand
07-26-05, 10:52 PM

Blame Mark for "milking his atlantics entry"? Ok Mr. Be all end all poster.

1. I was reffering to how this Hobby racer gets a promo spot on the Local NBC station and purveys and imgage that this is what the racers an the SJGP are all about. I DO have a problem with them failing to mention he is in a support race. Otherwise people may think they are showing up to see 40+ year old rich dot commers with to much money on their hands.

2. About "other local Champ Car drivers". Who? yes Jimmy lived in the south bay for a short time but he lives in Vegas and probably feels no need to get on the Local Bay Area news station. A.J.? what would he gain, he is not living here either.

3. I dont see how you can say Mark is doing a good job "milking his Atlantics entry" without even having the series or league he supports mentioned in the segment. its a thing about him that does not help him or the series in the long run. It wasted an opportunity for people to learn more about the series and took up valuable airtime that could have been used for HUNDREDs of more worth while stories about the show that is comming to San Jose.

other people seemed to agree with me

FCYTravis
07-26-05, 11:05 PM
That's not Mark's responsibility, coolhand. His responsibility as a driver (and a team owner) is to promote his sponsor and his own interests. You can't do everything in a 30-second TV spot. What, do you expect him to spend 20 seconds gushing about how great Toyota Atlantic is? The TV station chose to do a feature on *him.*

I really don't see your problem with the clip. So he's a 40-year-old rich guy who's racing and he's talking about it on TV. Good for him. It's what he's supposed to do. That's called activating sponsorship.

Which "hundreds more worthwhile stories?" Why is it not worthwhile for a local TV station to do a story about a local race driver who runs a tech company and is racing in the heart of Silicon Valley? Isn't that everything that Champ Car is supposed to be leveraging here - the tech connections? If we're going to race in Silicon Valley, I find it perfectly reasonable that a Silicon Valley-based driver is going to find a way to get some local TV news time.

As for your assertion... I dunno, which would the San Jose fans rather see, a 20-year-old rich kid from Europe or a 40-year-old hometown tech CEO?

other people seemed to agree with me.

nrc
07-26-05, 11:17 PM
It's TV news. He could have talked to them for an hour about Formula Atlantic and how it's a development series and they probably would have just ignored it as a detail most viewers wouldn't care about. Snip, on the cutting room floor it goes.

rabbit
07-26-05, 11:20 PM
It's TV news. He could have talked to them for an hour about Formula Atlantic and how it's a development series and they probably would have just ignored it as a detail most viewers wouldn't care about. Snip, on the cutting room floor it goes.
Bingo.

FCYTravis
07-26-05, 11:21 PM
Exactly, nrc.

coolhand
07-26-05, 11:50 PM

I agree its better then nothing, but i am not sure if it was wasted time that could have been used about SERIES awarness versus some small human interest story that only adds to the SJGP

FCYTravis
07-27-05, 12:33 AM
"Building series awareness" won't put butts in bleachers. I suspect that right now, the latter is getting more attention than the former, rightly or wrongly.

JohnnyQ
07-28-05, 06:58 AM
Let's face it....the current crop in CART is about as interesting as a bag of hair. I'd rather read about a local trying to make good then Fabio torn apart over which jet-ski he's going to ride during the week.

nrc
07-28-05, 08:33 AM
Let's face it....the current crop in CART is about as interesting as a bag of hair. I'd rather read about a local trying to make good then Fabio torn apart over which jet-ski he's going to ride during the week.
I disagree. AJ and the emergence of Rusport is one of the best stories in years.

Jervis Tetch 1
07-29-05, 12:23 AM
I disagree. AJ and the emergence of Rusport is one of the best stories in years.
Agreed.

Dr. Corkski
08-01-05, 03:16 AM
The local seemed to pay a lot of attention to Ishikawa (while ignoring a lot of other faster local participants), and Mark made it easier for them to follow since they could tell his car apart by the fact that he was usually facing the opposite way of the racing line all weekend. :gomer: