PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP Donnington

eiregosod
07-25-05, 04:44 PM
what a 4-way shoot out!

High Sided
07-25-05, 05:07 PM
the 250 race in the rain has probably been the best race of any type I've seen in a long time. when racing motorcycles for a hobby I always thought racing in the rain was a bit crazy. this race confirms that thought but was simply amazing to watch.

eiregosod
07-25-05, 05:12 PM
I didnt see the 250s , in the 500cc class they lost half the field after only 6 or so laps.

I assume the riders had to do all the braking before they got to the corner, there's only enough grip to tippey-toe around them.

and 75k in the stands, motogp is sure gaining in popularity. It helps now that the old F1 TV partnerrs are showing motogp.

High Sided
07-25-05, 08:27 PM
all i caught of the 500's was the final interviews. speed will be re-airing both tomorrow, tuesday afternoon. as far as grip in the rain that was the case running in the 600 production class but when they grid us with classes that could run real rain tires i was amazed how well they worked as they motored by me threw the turns.
motogp...12-1pm eastern
motogp 250...1-2pm eastern

oddlycalm
07-25-05, 10:47 PM
A truly amazing amount of crashes indeed. Hayden's high-side-hop-over was one of the weirdest get-offs I've seen.

Experience pays off on days like that and Rossi managed a virtuoso ride in appalling conditions with Roberts and Barros doing very well also. Incredible when Rossi, who had been all over the place during the early laps, just checked out to the tune of 2 seconds a lap late in the race. :thumbup:

oc

DagoFast
07-26-05, 02:10 AM
I honestly thought Rossi was not going to win, he made at least 2 fantastic saves and appeared to be pushing as hard as it was possible. Then with about 7 laps to go, he just checked out. The other riders have to just shake their heads.

eiregosod
07-26-05, 03:41 PM
A truly amazing amount of crashes indeed. Hayden's high-side-hop-over was one of the weirdest get-offs I've seen.

Experience pays off on days like that and Rossi managed a virtuoso ride in appalling conditions with Roberts and Barros doing very well also. Incredible when Rossi, who had been all over the place during the early laps, just checked out to the tune of 2 seconds a lap late in the race. :thumbup:

oc

i wonder if Rossi was doing a Schumi; find where the grip runs out, then adjust your line accordingly.

eiregosod
07-27-05, 03:50 PM
Interesting article from the BBC , who incidently show all motoGP races this year.

I didnt know that motogp picked up a former media relations manager from F1. It explains the way that motoGP is being packaged and presented for TV companies to buy into

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/4712453.stm

MotoGP's special brand of racing

"If you can imagine the Glastonbury Festival with crash helmets, you have some idea of the scale of the travelling circus that surrounds MotoGP racing.

With about 100,000 people mobbing Donington Park during British Grand Prix weekend, the tented villages, flags, merchandise stands, huge queues and heavy rain made the place feel like a music festival.

But these hardy souls had come to hear the deafening roar of the world's most powerful bikes and see the world's fastest riders on British bike racing's biggest day out of the year.

So what exactly is MotoGP racing and why does it inspire such devotion in its fans?

In short, MotoGP is the elite of motorbike racing, the two-wheeled equivalent of Formula One, and the only motorsport category that is anything near a rival in terms of popularity and global coverage.

For example, in the 2004 season its 16 races in four continents were televised in 208 countries and drew an average attendance of 115,237.

Biker and four-time Olympic gold medallist Sir Matthew Pinsent is one of the sport's many admirers.

On his first visit to a MotoGP race this weekend, he told BBC Sport what he thought made the event popular.

Even as a commuter-type biker, you can appreciate what they're doing
Sir Matthew Pinsent

"It's the speed, the control, the excitement and the skills on display," he said.

"In car racing, a lot of the skill is hidden in the cockpit, but with bike racing, you don't need binoculars to see a rider putting his foot down, shifting his weight or cornering.

"Even as a commuter-type biker, you can appreciate what they're doing."

Pinsent's retirement from rowing has freed up more time for him to ride his bike, visit Donington and meet the larger-than-life MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi.

"There's any number of things I wanted to do but couldn't, and now I'm working my way through the list," he said. "Coming here was right up there."

Pinsent met with Rossi just prior to the start of Sunday's race, highlighting the air of informality that sets MotoGP apart.

This was also apparent on Saturday, when Blata rider James Ellison casually weaved through the crowds on a scooter.

Matthew Pinsent launches the Big Recycle 2005
Pinsent has taken up juggling and motorbikes since retiring

Rossi's domination of MotoGP resembles Michael Schumacher's success in F1, fanning inevitable comparisons between the sports.

But Nick Harris, the media relations manager for race organisers Dorna who spent six years doing a similar job in F1, believes MotoGP has the edge on pure entertainment.

"F1 is very clever, but MotoGP is a straight down the line, get out there and race-type racing," he said. "There's far more individual skill involved."

Harris also insists MotoGP is far more competitive than F1.

"Schumacher used to run away with it, but every year Rossi has won the title he's been pushed the whole way and has had to break records on the last lap. That's what keeps it so interesting."

Noise, colour, exceptionally fast bikes, characters and drama down to the very end - all of these ingredients make MotoGP special and keep the fans coming back in their droves.

coolhand
07-27-05, 04:02 PM
anyone know where you can download race videos?

RichK
07-27-05, 04:03 PM
This about says it all:

"F1 is very clever, but MotoGP is a straight down the line, get out there and race-type racing," he said. "There's far more individual skill involved."

Great 250 race, by the way!

eiregosod
07-27-05, 04:23 PM
anyone know where you can download race videos?

there's some 'multimedia' content on www.motogp.com , there's no link but you'll have to use your internet surfing skills to find them ;).

edit: seems its pay content

coolhand
07-27-05, 04:39 PM
there's some 'multimedia' content on www.motogp.com , there's no link but you'll have to use your internet surfing skills to find them ;).

edit: seems its pay content

thats what i was meaning.

on another forum last year somone posted a link from the site for the pay content and i could view it.

it was a race higlight video.