PDA

View Full Version : Tire trouble at Pocono?

Andrew Longman
07-25-05, 02:42 PM
I didn't see any mention of tire problems again at Pocono in the newspaper or other write ups. I take it there was no repeat of the tire problems from last month.

What changed? Crew chiefs decide to run a bit more air? Drivers avoiding the rumble strips? I also didn't see the race but somehow how I doubt either crew chiefs of drivers are going to "slow down".

My guess is the Goodyears were the problem last month. The lack of problems with the Hoosiers during the ARCA race is my evidence.

TRDfan
07-25-05, 02:46 PM
I was listening to some of the race on the radio, and the announce team was talking about Goodyear getting on the teams to run more air pressure.

Supposedly they were handing out cards that said: MALC - More Air Less Camber

devilmaster
07-25-05, 02:48 PM
There were a couple blown tires yesterday, iirc.

The goodyears are most likely the problem. Not only do you look to the hoosiers in the ARCA race, but you can look back to the late 90's of CART. Once Firestone got a grip (no pun intended) on their development, they basically handed Goodyear's ass on a platter.

Goodyear used to give used tyres away. (not sure if they still do, but i suspect they do) Firestone never gave tyres away, they took them back as part of the R&D on making better tyres.

IMO, that was one of the major differences why Firestone beat goodyear into submission. They had better R&D teams. Goodyear left and signed an exclusive agreement with NASCAR.

It'll never happen, but i'd like to see Firestone into NASCAR, cause i'll put 20 bucks on the fact that if it did happen, firestone would be kicking goodyear's ass within 2 to 3 years.

pchall
07-25-05, 03:55 PM
There were a couple blown tires yesterday, iirc.

The goodyears are most likely the problem. Not only do you look to the hoosiers in the ARCA race, but you can look back to the late 90's of CART. Once Firestone got a grip (no pun intended) on their development, they basically handed Goodyear's ass on a platter.

Goodyear used to give used tyres away. (not sure if they still do, but i suspect they do) Firestone never gave tyres away, they took them back as part of the R&D on making better tyres.

IMO, that was one of the major differences why Firestone beat goodyear into submission. They had better R&D teams. Goodyear left and signed an exclusive agreement with NASCAR.

It'll never happen, but i'd like to see Firestone into NASCAR, but i'll put 20 bucks on the fact that if it did happen, firestone would be kicking goodyear's ass within 2 to 3 years.

Of course, Mickey Michel Rahal on his FSR claptrap show has been insisting that there is no problem with the Goodyears but dumping on Michelin...