PDA

View Full Version : AGR wizzed off by Danica Mania

cart7
07-25-05, 07:44 AM
They stage a protest when Danica gets her own line for an autograph session.

Linkie thing (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050725/SPORTS01/507250377)

:laugh:

TKGAngel
07-25-05, 08:34 AM
Now that is funny. Being penalized points for missing an autograph session - what is this, NASCAR?

If one also reads further down the linkie, one would see that Panther is not coming to champcar in 2006, but has an agreement to run champcar drivers at Indy for 2006.

Don Quixote
07-25-05, 08:36 AM
If one also reads further down the linkie, one would see that Panther is not coming to champcar in 2006, but has an agreement to run champcar drivers at Indy for 2006.
:thumdown: Stop the madness!

cameraman
07-25-05, 10:24 AM
Where does it say anything about the 500?

Panther staying in IRL

Panther Racing has declined an offer to join the Champ Car World Series in 2006, opting to remain in the IRL for what will be a ninth season.

Team co-owner John Barnes said Panther would "absolutely not" be changing its status at the end of the season. He refused to detail the financial offer made by the owners of Champ Car, citing a confidentiality agreement he signed.

Barnes said he doesn't know which engine manufacturer his team will be partnered with in 2006. His staff will meet with top General Motors officials this week in an attempt to convince them to keep their Chevrolet brand with the league beyond this season.

Barnes said he has a group of Chevrolet dealership owners that wants the manufacturer to stay in Indy-car racing. But if GM doesn't come back, Barnes said his team will become a Honda outfit.

Barnes said Chevrolet officials have met with their Cosworth counterparts in England about extending their contract, although an agreement has not been reached. Cosworth has helped build Chevrolet's IRL engines since the middle of the 2003 season.

rabbit
07-25-05, 10:29 AM
Where does it say anything about the 500?
Hmm, that's interesting. It said something about it an hour ago. It even mentioned how Panther provided support for Green when he brought FMA to Indy in 2000.

John Barnes: "Curt, WTF are you doing? You can't print that yet! I told you that was off the record!"
Curt Cavein: "I'm so sorry."

jonovision_man
07-25-05, 10:37 AM
Hmm, that's interesting. It said something about it an hour ago.

I saw it too... weird.

tllips
07-25-05, 10:37 AM
Hmm, that's interesting. It said something about it an hour ago. It even mentioned how Panther provided support for Green when he brought FMA to Indy in 2000.

John Barnes: "Curt, WTF are you doing? You can't print that yet! I told you that was off the record!"

I saw that too, this morning. I don't remember anything about the chevy dealerships in the article this morning either.

Very fishy!

stroker
07-25-05, 10:47 AM
Perhaps this is evidence of a deal between the Amigos and Panther to share resources. In exchange for Chevy-badged Cosworths for the season, Panther supplies cars for any of the CC drivers wanting to cripple themselves severely.

That avoids Haas & Co. being taken to task by folks like us for being such short-sighted morons and still allows them to take advantage of whatever prestige the 497.5 has left.

Personally, I think it's more likely a case of KK wanting to go and win the 497.5 with his own engines and drivers. You don't think there'd be some P.R. value in that?

Heh, heh, heh...

rabbit
07-25-05, 10:50 AM
In exchange for Chevy-badged Cosworths for the season, Panther supplies cars for any of the CC drivers wanting to cripple themselves severely.
Funny in a sad-but-true kind of way

jonovision_man
07-25-05, 10:59 AM
I saw that too, this morning. I don't remember anything about the chevy dealerships in the article this morning either.

Very fishy!

Hey here's someone who quoted it on TF:
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63296&page=4

This was the original wording:

Panther staying in IRL

Panther Racing has declined an offer to join the Champ Car World Series in 2006, opting to remain in the IRL for what will be a ninth season.

Team co-owner John Barnes said Panther would "absolutely not" be changing its status at the end of the season. He refused to detail the financial offer made by the owners of Champ Car, citing a confidentiality agreement he signed.

One part he did confirm was an agreement to run Champ Car teams in next year's Indy 500, much as Panther did in 2003 with Michael Andretti.

stroker
07-25-05, 11:09 AM
Funny in a sad-but-true kind of way

I'VE GOT IT!!!

We'll call it "HOOSIER ROULETTE"!!!

<Wile E. Coyote> "Heh, heh, heh... Wile E. Coyote... SOOPER GEEENIUS..." </Wile E. Coyote>

nrc
07-25-05, 11:18 AM
Now that is funny. Being penalized points for missing an autograph session - what is this, NASCAR?

I read that differently. It's sounds to me like that's part of the deal that he was supposedly offered by Champ car.

I say "supposedly" because I think there's a good chance it's BS. Panther went fishing for Tony bucks. They either got what they were looking for or they found out that they had overplayed their hand.

JoeBob
07-25-05, 11:28 AM
Does anybody have a scanned version of the "Get Used To It" ad?

That is probably at the forefront of AGR's gripes. Every year, IMS pours a ton of marketing into the 500 winner, and puts the 500 winner front and center. Wheldon is being ignored.

trauma1
07-25-05, 11:50 AM
sounds like the whizzinator is on order for FTG, bet FTG give panther what they want$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rob
07-25-05, 12:04 PM
speedtv.com has an article that mentions the CCWS Indy-only program that Panther would offer: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/18425/

RichK
07-25-05, 12:14 PM
I'm sure Fangio, Nuvolari, Gurney, Hill and Mario would all have protested in the same situation.

After all, race driving is all about the attention, right?

RacinM3
07-25-05, 12:16 PM
What a joke. They'll stage a protest over some chick getting her own autograph line, but not over the fact that IRL cars have broken many, many more backs of drivers than any other race cars in the history of mankind.

These guys need to get some priorities. :thumdown:

TKGAngel
07-25-05, 12:19 PM

I'm amused that there's no "revised" timestamp on the article. Also curious to see what ran in the printed version of the Star.

Steve99
07-25-05, 01:42 PM
He refused to detail the financial offer made by the owners of Champ Car, citing a confidentiality agreement he signed.
Nice how this insinuates that Champ Car was going to pay him to make the switch. :shakehead

FRANKY
07-25-05, 02:07 PM
Nice how this insinuates that Champ Car was going to pay him to make the switch. :shakehead

Of course they were going to pay, that's a no brainer, there aren't enough real sponsors. Tony will be breaking out the checkbook again after Toyota leaves.

JohnnyQ
07-25-05, 07:50 PM
What a bunch of a-holes the AGR boys are. :cry: They're pissed that Danica is stealing there thunder? They never had thunder to steal. If Tony, Dan and Dario fell off the earth 6 or 7 people would know about it. Man these silverspoons are just useless spines. Let's deport these douchbags. Such trivial bull*****.

Team Panther should be an Infinity Pro Series Team. I wonder why Pennzoil is leaving????? Maybe because they chose un-marketable drivers? Sponsors love it when you take there money and offer no return on there investment. :shakehead

coolhand
07-25-05, 08:15 PM
I think thats a bunch of BS about the "financial offer". It might of been a IRL engine package with Cosworth that they deliberatly contrued into a "CCWS financial offer"

Brickman
07-25-05, 08:17 PM
What a joke. They'll stage a protest over some chick getting her own autograph line, but not over the fact that IRL cars have broken many, many more backs of drivers than any other race cars in the history of mankind.

These guys need to get some priorities. :thumdown:

I'll say. I saw the autograph line at Phoenix, they basically go in a single line and then turn right or left when they reach the tables depending on who they want an autograph from.

At Fontana during the CART days they just went to the driver autograph stations to get their autographs. Maybe Tony, Brian, and Dario never realized that Paul's line was longer. ;)

Hard Driver
07-25-05, 09:08 PM
Seperate autograph lines for Danica... And she has never won a race.

I know demand and the customer, etc... But the Danicamania the league is trying to hype is pathetic since the girl has never won a race.

Methanolandbrats
07-25-05, 09:46 PM
Looks like that water bottle suckling, whiney prick Mikey has rubbed off on his stable of drivers. Be like Mike. F em all.

oddlycalm
07-25-05, 10:37 PM

These guys need to get some priorities. :thumdown: That's my take as well, interesting priorities. I'm not surprised that it was a "team" decision because it sounds exactly like a typical MA decision to me. Expect whining to follow.

I had to laugh at this brilliant reflection from Brainfart :D

"The attention Danica has drawn to this series -- none of which she asked for -- has risen the tide for all of our ships, and everyone needs to understand that."

What comes to mind is that the EARL is a series of the illiterate for the illiterate and dedicated to bodycasts and banality for all.

oc

Lizzerd
07-25-05, 11:51 PM
"The attention Danica has drawn to this series -- none of which she asked for -- has risen the tide for all of our ships, and everyone needs to understand that."

You're right, you freaking idiot, she did not ask for it. But, it was the morons like you and the others in your pathetic little circle of friends that shoveled her into every journalists' notebooks.

Looks to me that the only tide that has risen is Danicle's, thanks to you and your ilk. :flame:

FRANKY
07-26-05, 12:16 AM

I know demand and the customer, etc... But the Danicamania the league is trying to hype is pathetic since the girl has never won a race.

Crocker is next NASCAR, Legge has won, but I expect the same thing mania when she goes to Champ Car. It's not about winning little races, but about having the ability to break through and win a BIG one.

Jervis Tetch 1
07-26-05, 12:22 AM

I know demand and the customer, etc... But the Danicamania the league is trying to hype is pathetic since the girl has never won a race.Couldn't agree more.

As for Panther, Barnes is fricking dreaming if he thinks his team is going to get Honda engines. :saywhat:

CART T. Katz
07-26-05, 01:44 AM
i watched around the horn today (it was 5 pm, what else was on other than local news?) and found myself strangely agreeing with mariotti when this danicle story came up. his point was that agr had every right to complain because when the winner of the 497.5 and the defending series champion are getting less attention than someone who has never won a race in their professional career, something ain't right with that situation. needless to say, statgirl and the other two hacks stood up with the broadcast partner and said that danicle was the reason that they were watching tony's leegue. local radio sportshack said the same thing that it was ego that was driving this and that agr should shut up because danicle is giving the leegue enough publicity to get noticed.

apparantly the rest of the country hasn't caught up yet with the 24% drop in milwaukee attendance plus the mediocre ratings that the leegue has generated since. those of the people who really have no idea what they are talking about saying that agr should just shut up and race are missing the bigger picture: if baghdad bob and his ministry of disinformation were promoting the leegue with danicle as a part of a rundown of a few other series names, i'll bet that none of the drivers would be as offended. but with the hype maching going way into overtime on the danicle bandwagon the drivers who actually have the talent and skill (and race wins) are being wrongfully shut out of any attention they rightfully are deserving of.

as a race fan, i'm more insulted by the fact that everyone is completely overlooking the fact that there are other drivers in the leegue AND that no one is giving equal face time or acknowledgement to legge than anything else.

RaceGrrl
07-26-05, 09:16 AM
Bottom line for me is that NO driver in the IRHell deserves attention. So the Whinedretti team is crying: TFB. That's what they get for bending over for Tony.

fourrunner
07-26-05, 09:21 AM
I can just picture the site of these 4 guys "mincing" around the paddock, like a Gay Pride Parade calling her a Bitch and girl slapping anyone that confronts them

Next Race they plan on "Holding There Breath Till There Blue" !

But they'll do it dressed in Dan Wheldons new line of clothing with the frilly underthings that only they know they're wearing... of course signed by Dan Wheldon ! ;)

G.
07-26-05, 10:08 AM
When the earl fails and drivers leave for ALMS, GA, CC, etc., FTG's new Vision (TM) will be all chick drivers. A real Hooter's cup. :laugh:

Post of the year:

What comes to mind is that the EARL is a series of the illiterate for the illiterate and dedicated to bodycasts and banality for all. :thumbup:

Just rolls off da tongue...

dando
07-26-05, 11:34 AM
This topic earned a rant on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday PM. Eric C. (filling in for Dan) was ranting that these idiots are throwing a fit about The Danicle, and she's the only reason anyone gives a rat's *** about the .1RL. :laugh:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
07-26-05, 12:04 PM
This topic earned a rant on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday PM. Eric C. (filling in for Dan) was ranting that these idiots are throwing a fit about The Danicle, and she's the only reason anyone gives a rat's *** about the .1RL. :laugh:

-Kevin

True. And hence Barnhart (?) was right when he said she was a tide that was raising all boats.

But how does she raise other boats when they are in a different autograph line? So sad to say IMO AGR is right too.

Every team and driver is responsible for making themselves attractive to sponsors, and the series is responsible for creating an environment that makes it easy to do that.

So the IRL is not wrong to promote the novelty of their female driver. The results speak for themselves. But they are wrong to do it at the expense of the other teams and unwise to overexpose her in any event. What happens when she finally wins? What happens if she never wins? Either way the public starts to care less and a novelty only stay a novelty for so long. They have to use the opportunity to allow the spotlight on Danica to also highlight her competitors.

At minimum, if your are going to have them squabble make someone the Don Gartlis to her Shirley Muldowney or Bobby Riggs to her Billy Jean King. It doesn't have to be sexist but challenge her skills. I don't like that, but I see marketing value in that sort of WWE trash talk. But the IRL can't even get that right.

coolhand
07-26-05, 04:22 PM
well i would be happy if AGR just threw up their hands, packed up and left the IRL over this :)

TKGAngel
07-26-05, 07:03 PM
Every team and driver is responsible for making themselves attractive to sponsors, and the series is responsible for creating an environment that makes it easy to do that.

Maybe the IRL needs to look at CC and how they do autograph sessions. If you want PT's autograph, you have to wait in line and deal with the Sperafico's of the world. If you dont want their siggy, then dont ask for it, but wish them luck, a good time, or just smile and nod as you move on down to your target. Could you imagine the ruckus if PT would be given his own line?

Something about brainfart's line about Danica not asking for the attention isn't sitting well with me. You design an entire marketing plan around her, you would think someone would have talked with Danica before the launch, to get her thoughts on what she felt would be done with her image, and how she felt being the IRL cash cow. Its only common sense.

cameraman
07-26-05, 07:09 PM
someone would have talked with Danica before the launch, to get her thoughts on what she felt would be done with her image, and how she felt being the IRL cash cow. Its only common sense.

You want a ride? Then shut up & do what you are told.
Between Barnhart & Rahal I doubt she has much of any say about anything.

Don Quixote
07-26-05, 07:13 PM
Something about brainfart's line about Danica not asking for the attention isn't sitting well with me.
I agree. Why then, did she pose for the photos, to draw attention away from herself? Playing the "poor me" card at this point in time is disingenuous.

coolhand
07-26-05, 07:27 PM
Maybe the IRL needs to look at CC and how they do autograph sessions. If you want PT's autograph, you have to wait in line and deal with the Sperafico's of the world. If you dont want their siggy, then dont ask for it, but wish them luck, a good time, or just smile and nod as you move on down to your target. Could you imagine the ruckus if PT would be given his own line?

Something about brainfart's line about Danica not asking for the attention isn't sitting well with me. You design an entire marketing plan around her, you would think someone would have talked with Danica before the launch, to get her thoughts on what she felt would be done with her image, and how she felt being the IRL cash cow. Its only common sense.

many Champ car races have individual lines for each driver. Long Beach has each driver sit outside their Transporter and PT has a longer line then say the HVM guys

TKGAngel
07-26-05, 07:52 PM
You want a ride? Then shut up & do what you are told.
Between Barnhart & Rahal I doubt she has much of any say about anything.

You do have a valid point. Wonder how strenuosly (sp?) she objects to some of the publicity. You would think at some point she would have said in an interview enough about me, there's 16 or 17 other guys out there who potentially deserve some press.

many Champ car races have individual lines for each driver. Long Beach has each driver sit outside their Transporter and PT has a longer line then say the HVM guys

Also depends on the race and who's running the thing. I forgot to add the qualifier of "in my experience"

And adding to the Danica mania, there's an article about her in the new issue of TV Guide. (But Christopher Meloni of L&O:SUV on the cover makes up for it. :D )

JohnnyQ
07-26-05, 09:03 PM
IMO it comes down to the AGR fruits being babies. With all the stupid crap going on in this world and these idiots are pissed because they're not getting more attention. It really is a shame this sports athletes have been handed everthing on a silver platter there whole life. It really shows. :shakehead

Do you think Mario, Mears or Al Sr. would be pissing and moaning over petty-anti BS like this?

I might just drive up to the Glen just to heckle these dolts at the autograph session.

Chief
07-26-05, 11:17 PM
Publicity stunt....I'd love to see a Michigan whinefest promo capitalizing on the AGR protest and danicle. Would be the lowest they could sink in this rising tide of IRL failure.

Insomniac
07-27-05, 10:08 AM
He talks about her rising the tide for the entire series. He is right. She is bringing attention to herself and the IRL. A smarter person would keep the single line so that all of Danica's fans would meet all the other driver's as well. That could improve the prospects of the entire series. But they want to go up with Danica and go down with Danica. I guess no one accused them of being geniuses. :)

Easy
07-27-05, 11:22 AM
I can't believe no one has said this yet but in AGR's defense, it's better to be wizzed off than wizzed on. But you never know, those guys might be into that.

dando
07-27-05, 12:38 PM
Pressdog's all over the controversy:

http://pressdog.blogspot.com/

A league insider reported that Dan Wheldon e-mailed Tony George a photo of him with the Borg Warner Trophy with the simple message, "Kiss my bum." Other rumors said Wheldon was willing to talk to officials with NASCAR and Formula One "as long as nobody says nothing to me about Danica."

:rofl: Good stuff! :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-27-05, 05:16 PM
My favorite part:

In other news, NASA shuttle commander Eileen Collins sent an e-mail to ABC/ESPN announcer Todd Harris saying, "When Danica goes from zero to 12,000 mph in 8 minutes and orbits the earth for 15 days, you let me know."

pressdog: You should consider removing the disclaimers. Your comments section would be hilarious.

dando
07-29-05, 09:20 AM
Mikey and the boyz get fined:

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/18512/

AGR was penalized for violating Section 7.1 (B) of the IndyCar Series Rule Book (Additional Driver Activities) which states: “During events, IRL shall conduct Driver autograph sessions and Driver introductions. Failure to participate or failure to attend for the designated amount of time may result in fines and/or other penalties.”

Gee, I dint think had a rule book to throw @ them?!? :gomer:

-Kevin

Chief
07-29-05, 09:35 AM
Is there anyone left for AGR to pizz off? I'm talking global here.....how about a one lap protest at michigan and park 'em on sunday. Now that would be cool :thumbup:

pchall
07-29-05, 12:01 PM
Is there anyone left for AGR to pizz off? I'm talking global here.....how about a one lap protest at michigan and park 'em on sunday. Now that would be cool :thumbup:

Won't happen. They know that Danica 9th place would just hold on and get an undeserved 5th and be crowned the undeserved second coming of Rich Vogler. :eek:

oddlycalm
07-30-05, 04:14 AM
I don't like that, but I see marketing value in that sort of WWE trash talk. But the IRL can't even get that right. Right on both counts. Look at this from a racing standpoint and it'll drive you nuts. It's like the WWE done by people that don't know how. From Danica mania to that dopey Indy smarmfest to the announcers that succeed at being just as dumb as their audience, the whole thing is aimed at non-racing fans, halfwits and fools.

That's why actual racing fans find the entire EARL ooze so repellent and disturbing. It's the rape and perversion of something we place a high value on by a malfunctioning person that just wants to control and make money off of things he is not capable of appreciating. The reason BiF is so funny is that as broad and over the top as the satire is, it's also so painfully close to the truth.

oc