PDA

View Full Version : Was that the worst CBS broastcast crew to date?

TorontoWorker
07-24-05, 04:05 PM
Or is it me?

Adam talking about clutch work off the line for the start - this dispite the fact that the starts are controlled with software.

Brad someone who works on ALMS Audi's - "umm, ahhh, thats right Bill..." mode. Knew very little about F1.

Everyone missing Kimi being passed until a director starts screaming in their ear pieces!

Mistake after mistake. As far as the "gearbox locking up on Kimi" quote: had they done research they would have known that this is not a rare failure and in fact it is a electric/pump/fluid interface issue.

Watching the ITV broadcast at 8:00am with Brundle and company was a night /day difference.

The speed guys really do a much better job then these ALMS fill-ins do... :shakehead

Ed_Severson
07-24-05, 04:34 PM
That was the first CBS broadcast I've watched this year, and it will also be the last. Those clowns were terrible.

I know Bernie thinks he needs to have F1 on a major network to attract new fans, and maybe it's just me, but I'd like to think we could introduce new people to the sport without treating the rest of us like complete ****ing retards.

Am I wrong about that?

If this is the best we can do on CBS, give me Speed Channel or give me death! :gomer:

cameraman
07-24-05, 05:50 PM
So you are saying that there is some benefit to having to hold a baby with an earache during the entire race broadcast and not hearing a word that was said by whoever they were?????? :eek:

B3RACER1a
07-24-05, 06:02 PM
It got pre-empted (sp?) here in St. Louis. I'll wait to catch the Speed version. LOL

rosawendel
07-24-05, 06:37 PM
i don't know... there were some mistakes, particularly regarding team references.. the one i remember most was the "red bull sauber" team reference... but i didn't hear "hold on to your hollyhocks" or "well, well, well" at all. the color guys knew racing, just not as much f-1 as we are accustomed to. i actually thought it was refreshing.

oddlycalm
07-24-05, 08:11 PM
Misinforming people and failing to point out when significant race events happen doesn't make sense even if you are aiming the broadcast at a 14yr old intellectual level. The big three broadcast networks have demonstrated time and again they are incapable of handling anything more than stick and ball games.

At least we were spared 23 days of the Tour de France called by the likes of Ralph "Sqeaky" Shaheen or Rick "The Hack" Benjamin. We'd have had to hear all about the 1 bike, the 28 bike and Lance getting "a run on" some opponent...:gomer:

oc

RichK
07-24-05, 08:13 PM
At least we were spared 23 days of the Tour de France called by the likes of Ralph "Sqeaky" Shaheen or Rick "The Hack" Benjamin. We'd have had to hear all about the 1 bike, the 28 bike and Lance getting "a run on" some opponent...:gomer:

oc

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DjDrOmusic
07-24-05, 09:30 PM
No it wasn't the greatest broadcast team ever assembled but it could have been 2 hours of boogity booogity fer sure!! I'm just happy to see F1 on network TV again! ;)

Lizzerd
07-24-05, 10:17 PM
That's true, but I'm waiting for the SPEED re-broadcast Friday night for my tape library.

eiregosod
07-25-05, 12:20 AM
Misinforming people and failing to point out when significant race events happen doesn't make sense even if you are aiming the broadcast at a 14yr old intellectual level. The big three broadcast networks have demonstrated time and again they are incapable of handling anything more than stick and ball games.

oc

Just as well that CBS dont have to atcually produce the TV picture feed ;) Todays director cut away from an interesting battle in midpack to show the leader etc..

Steve99
07-25-05, 01:16 AM
The announcers were terrible and the director for the world feed didn't seem to have a clue what was going on, all the quick camera cuts seemed random.

chop456
07-25-05, 01:33 AM
Not the worst.

JohnHKart
07-25-05, 03:11 AM
Funny, I was just coming on here to find a thread I knew would be titled "worst broadcast ever" and here it is. About halfway through this I started losing interest in the race, because of the announcers. Before it wasn't too bad as I guess I am used to Derek Daly, good or bad. But I've always hated Ralphs Shaheen on anything other than Nascar stuff. The chemistry among the three guys on here was just horrible, Shaheen is so awful, and I get so annoyed/pissed off I stopped paying g attention to the the race. Oh god make it stop!!!! Bill Adam was always good on sports car races, but just didn't fit on this. The Audi guy was completely useless. After this, I looked at the 3 laps of the GP2 race I taped ( I was going to watch more but got home too late) and I was reminded how much I missed Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett today. I think that was the last CBS F1 broadcast for the year, thank god.

John

Dvdb
07-25-05, 10:46 AM
Pre-empted in St. Louis?? What the hell was I watching at 11 then?

Jervis Tetch 1
07-26-05, 12:18 AM
That was the first CBS broadcast I've watched this year, and it will also be the last.And you won't have to worry about that anymore this year as that was the LAST race on CBS for the year. Enjoy Speed.

TedN
07-27-05, 08:26 AM
This person doesn't mince words in reviewing the telecast. Link (http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s135/st77843.htm)

Ted

rosawendel
07-27-05, 08:35 AM
This person doesn't mince words in reviewing the telecast. Link (http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s135/st77843.htm)

Ted

wow... what a rip-job. i obviously wasn't paying nearly enough attention to the announcers to realize how bad they were...

Don Quixote
07-27-05, 08:48 AM
Ted
That is a very good, and funny write up.

Ed_Severson
07-27-05, 10:25 AM
I could have written that myself ... many of those comments are exactly what was running through my head as I was watching that disaster of a broadcast.

My only bone to pick with the columnist (aside from spelling and punctuation errors, which make me wonder why they let him write in the first place):

-Well, they were the same tires.
Part 2 of the comment above. Look nimrods, they were looking for damage. They pulled the tires so they could see if there was any damage to the brake systems and steering connections to the hub. After they looked for damage and deemed it OK, they put the tires back on and went racing. If you can’t even tell when a team is looking at a car for damage, again, do us and yourself a favor and keep your mouth shut.

Sorry pal, but the steering connections are on the front wheels, not the rear wheels.

oddlycalm
07-27-05, 03:26 PM
My only bone to pick with the columnist (aside from spelling and punctuation errors... I just chalked up the errors to rage and exasperation which I can certainly identify with. It really was a dreadfully bad broadcast. It's the kind of dopey incompetence that one would associate with the EARL, not F1.

oc