PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Pics

nrc
07-23-05, 01:55 PM
Someone has posted pics from the San Jose course under construction. It looks like it could be a Jekyl and Hyde mixture of fast and racey and ridiculously tight. The turn 5 chicane looks like it will be a lane and a half wide at best once they get barriers in place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oatmealboy/sets/625704/

pchall
07-23-05, 02:17 PM
Someone has posted pics from the San Jose course under construction. It looks like it could be a Jekyl and Hyde mixture of fast and racey and ridiculously tight. The turn 5 chicane looks like it will be a lane and a half wide at best once they get barriers in place.

Let's call it very "technical". ;) It's not like we expect passing attempts in a chicane, anyway.

TedN
07-23-05, 07:17 PM
Bob Singleton was interviewed this moring on The Auto Racing Zone (www.fan590.com). During the discussion on how Champ Car is visiting high-tech areas, he mentioned that the corporate suites in San Jose will have:

- new wireless technology (no details)
- air conditioning

Ted

RichK
07-23-05, 07:21 PM
- air conditioning

Ted

That would be nice! It's near 100 degrees in the Bay Area today.

stroker
07-23-05, 10:09 PM
Air conditioning? BAH!

That's what they make ice and beer for.

:)

TorontoWorker
07-24-05, 04:09 PM
Nice trees... :)

Hard Driver
07-25-05, 12:48 AM
Is it me, or does the idea of racing over railroad tracks seems like a few too many compromises were made in the course. Looks like passing will be impossible. I hope I am wrong.

rabbit
07-25-05, 01:07 AM
They can't all be Edmontons, I'm afraid.

stroker
07-25-05, 11:12 AM
Is it me, or does the idea of racing over railroad tracks seems like a few too many compromises were made in the course. Looks like passing will be impossible. I hope I am wrong.

RAILROAD TRACKS???????

Please tell me you're kidding....

:saywhat:

extramundane
07-25-05, 11:36 AM
RAILROAD TRACKS???????

Please tell me you're kidding....

:saywhat:

http://photos21.flickr.com/27657940_9ec2b3f244.jpg?v=0

Light rail, which isn't quite as stupifying as heavy rail tracks, but still...

nrc
07-25-05, 11:43 AM
I know street courses have crossed tracks before, but I'm not sure if any of Champ car's have. The old Denver course, perhaps?

jonovision_man
07-25-05, 11:52 AM
Does anyone know where on the circuit map that is? Almaden Blvd & E. San Fernando? (my guess)

jono

cameraman
07-25-05, 11:53 AM
There are chicanes at the track crossings to slow things down and they will be crossing the tracks at a 90 angle.

Time will tell how well this track works.

cameraman
07-25-05, 11:55 AM
I am pretty sure the tracks run up the middle of San Carlos

Gnam
07-25-05, 12:02 PM
I am pretty sure the tracks run up the middle of San Carlos
That's right. Turns 1 and 9 both cross the tracks. They also run right down the middle of the Family Fun Zone.

jonovision_man
07-25-05, 12:03 PM
That's right. Turns 1 and 9 both cross the tracks. They also run right down the middle of the Family Fun Zone.

Watching kids dodge trams is part of the fun? :rolleyes: ;)

jono

jonovision_man
07-25-05, 12:07 PM
There are chicanes at the track crossings to slow things down and they will be crossing the tracks at a 90 angle.

Time will tell how well this track works.

Sounds like it'll be one of those things that message-board-pundits make a stink over that end up as being no big deal.

Clump-clump. Clump-clump. :)

jono

Gnam
07-25-05, 12:13 PM
If they kept the trains runnin' during the race that would rule.

"Bourdais leads PT past Start/Finish! But, OH NO!!!! The #345 to Sunnyvale has just left the station and is blocking Turn 1. Cut to either the Knight Rider turbo boost button or Dukes of Hazzard horn as Seabass jumps the number 1 over the south bound express. Yee-Hawwww! Jumpin's Racin'!"

There just concrete patches, no big whoop.

Andrew Longman
07-25-05, 12:22 PM
If they kept the trains runnin' during the race that would rule.

"Bourdais leads PT past Start/Finish! But, OH NO!!!! The #345 to Sunnyvale has just left the station and is blocking Turn 1. Cut to either the Knight Rider turbo boost button or Dukes of Hazzard horn as Seabass jumps the number 1 over the south bound express. Yee-Hawwww! Jumpin's Racin'!"

There just concrete patches, no big whoop.

I'm having visions of Need for Speed Underground :rolleyes:

JLMannin
07-25-05, 12:25 PM
Well, at least it's not a 3' wide strip of brick right in the middle of the fastest portion of the track. ;)

RichK
07-25-05, 12:36 PM
Well, at least it's not a 3' wide strip of brick right in the middle of the fastest portion of the track. ;)

:laugh: