PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new NHL, It's a whole new game.

devilmaster
07-22-05, 03:40 PM
http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/Images/NewsImages/NHL_Logo.jpg

http://nhl.speedera.net/image-upload/1005shield.gif

Bye-bye old logo(top). Below it is the new logo (sorta new anyways) . And the game that comes back is radically changed. Some of the changes:

no red line
tag up offside
smaller goalie pads, goalies have less area to play the puck
suspensions and fines for fights in the last 5 minutes with instigator penalties.
nets 2 feet closer to end boards
heavier penalties for diving, including an escalating set of fines and suspensions
shootouts to settle ties
for TV - more access to the game (miked players, more specialty cameras)
teams icing the puck cannot make a line change.
zero tolerance on hooking and clutching

devilmaster
07-22-05, 04:00 PM
And Sidney Crosby will go to...........

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/graphics/global/headers/8.jpg

spinner26
07-22-05, 04:27 PM

Bye-bye old logo(top). Below it is the new logo (sorta new anyways) . And the game that comes back is radically changed. Some of the changes:

no red line
tag up offside
suspensions and fines for fights in the last 5 minutes with instigator penalties.
heavier penalties for diving, including an escalating set of fines and suspensions
shootouts to settle ties

I'd like to see this happen, the fricken pc police have ruined what was once a great game. I've seen more flops and dives in the past 4-5 years than I've ever seen in the game.

Don Quixote
07-22-05, 04:32 PM
Nets 2 feet closer to the end boards? :saywhat:
Isn't that opposite from the international game?

JoeBob
07-22-05, 04:41 PM
I like all of the changes except the one limiting the area where goalies can handle the puck.

I'm not sure what difference the change to the location of the goal makes either.

What I'd really like to see is giving teams the option of either an "NHL sized" sheet of ice, or an "International" sized sheet. It couldn't happen right away, some arenas would have to be rebuilt for it to happen - but it would be interesting.

Teams with big sheets could build for speed, teams with small sheets build for toughness and quickness. Then they have to play each other and adapt their styles - making for some very interesting matchups. It happens in college hockey, why not in the NHL?

Gnam
07-22-05, 06:59 PM
What's diving?

rabbit
07-22-05, 07:04 PM
What's diving?
It's what they do for fun when the ice melts. :gomer:

WickerBill
07-22-05, 07:47 PM
What's diving?

Ask Patrick Viera.

Err, wrong thread, sorry... carry on.

Go Avs!

cart7
07-22-05, 09:37 PM
Don't forget...
http://www.stlouisblues.com/images/promo-05letsplay.jpg
http://www.printfree.com/Signs/for_sa1.gif

RTKar
07-22-05, 10:40 PM
Like the No Red Line thing...smaller goalie pads?...just get bigger goalies.

Night Train
07-23-05, 12:11 AM
Looking forward to catching a few 'Canes games this year.

Paintergeek
07-23-05, 08:26 AM
Ive said it before, Ill say it again.....I am more excited than I have ever been about an upcoming season. I ant wait. And this coming from a guy who doesnt really have 'my team' anymore. I grew up in Chicago, So they are still my favs, but I get so few games to watch its hard to follow. So I cheer for my wifes teams instead, or for who I hate less.

My favorite new rule, which I have argued for many years, is the shoot-out. Watching a game for a few hours and having it end in a yawn tie is LAME. Not only that, but the guys would PLAY for a tie.....because of the point set up. Shoot outs are a blast. Unfair to a long game, yes. But the NFL has decided games on a coin toss for years. Its better than a tie. At least in a shootout, Each team gets an even shot at it.

DROP THE PUCK!!!!!!

Paintergeek
07-23-05, 08:27 AM
What's diving?

Faking being tripped/hooked to stop play and draw a penalty. It has become to much a part of the game the mast 10 years, and it has to go.........

Insomniac
07-23-05, 11:51 AM

no red line
tag up offside
shootouts to settle ties

It's nice to see these changes. I would've also liked to see a wider rink and icing called when the puck passes the line instead of it needing to be touched.

Racing Truth
07-23-05, 01:49 PM
It's nice to see these changes. I would've also liked to see a wider rink and icing called when the puck passes the line instead of it needing to be touched.

They discussed this elsewhere and the problem vis-a-vis the rink size is having to redesign some arenas, many of those new themselves.

devilmaster
07-25-05, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure what difference the change to the location of the goal makes either.

By moving the goal back, they hope to make more room in front of the net.

Teams with big sheets could build for speed, teams with small sheets build for toughness and quickness. Then they have to play each other and adapt their styles - making for some very interesting matchups. It happens in college hockey, why not in the NHL?

It actually used to be that way, and i know you know that, JB. I think every rink nowadays is the standard 200' by 85'. But back in the old days, Chicago was 185x85, iirc and boston was 191x85. (had to double check with old copies of the media guide), which is why fast moving teams always had a hard time in the old boston garden and chicago stadium.

The funny thing is, some players say that the trap is actually worse in euro leagues. Seems the larger rinks there (200 by 100) make the defensemen sit back and not pinch at all.

Most of these new rules are to stop the trap, which is of course making for slow, boring games, but it also WINS them. The good coaches will figure out how to trap in the new nhl.

devilmaster
07-25-05, 01:21 AM
Like the No Red Line thing...smaller goalie pads?...just get bigger goalies.

In the old days - thats what it used to be. :laugh: Used to be that you became a goalie because you were the worst skater on the team.

I recall a story in the original six days where a GM decided to play a prank and told the media he had just signed a goalie that was perfectly sized to cover almost all of the net. I'll have to see if I can find that story in the books I got.

dando
07-25-05, 12:50 PM
Flyers buyout LeClair and Amonte. Sad to see Johnny go, but he hasn't been producing the past couple of years, and that contract he signed ~two years ago was ginormous. It'll be interesting to see who else is bought out this week. Lotta big names to become FAs later this week me thinks.

-Kevin

dando
07-25-05, 12:53 PM
By moving the goal back, they hope to make more room in front of the net.

The way I read it, the intention is to force the play to the front of the net. We'll see how it works. Originally they mentioned moving the goals away from the boards to prevent Gs from playing the puck as much.

re: larger ice surface....I'm all for it, but all the newer rinks would need to be modified. Lotta new buildings over the past couple of years.

-Kevin

devilmaster
07-25-05, 03:31 PM
Ottawa will not be buying anyone out. Media suspected that Bryan Smolinski and Greg DeVries would be bought out, saving about 4.5 mill.

Muckler announced today that won't happen.

Ottawa also announced that there will be price chops on the more expensive seats, up to 33%, and will price freeze for 2 years.

[edit]Detroit bought out Hatcher, McCarty and Whitney today. Savage apparently bought out by phoenix.

chop456
07-25-05, 03:54 PM
Want to prevent goalies from playing the puck so much? Adopt Lacrosse rules for goalie play. Stick your nose out of the crease and get maimed. :gomer:

devilmaster
07-25-05, 04:05 PM
or allow goalie checking in their playing zone.

Tifosi24
07-25-05, 07:34 PM
I hope with the crackdown on diving they get rid of the ridiculous double pentalties that I have seen called, especially in the college game. If a man dives the call is against him and only him. I would like to see five minutes and misconducts handed out for terrible dives, just like you can receive a yellow or red in soccer. Are you listening to me Riberio?? In a perfect world I would love to see them go to the international ice sheet and most of their rules except for automatic icing. Automatic icing is nice because it decreases injuries, but it doesn't really reward the offensive player for his hussle, (I know the linesman can waive it off, but that rarely happens.)

I can see how the trap can be worse on international rinks, and I could see that happening to the NHL if they went big, but it would take at least five years to get to that because of the goonish quality of most NHL defensemen. The only way to get rid of the trap, is to try and outlaw it outright by making it a minor, double minor, then major. It might be tough, but the NBA had illegal defense when the zone was illegal.

dando
07-26-05, 10:57 AM
[edit]Detroit bought out Hatcher, McCarty and Whitney today. Savage apparently bought out by phoenix.
No surprise on Hatcher (the stiff) or Whitney (the putz). McCarty is a bit of a surprise. w/o Hull, Avery, and these three, I'm running out of Wings to hate. :gomer:

EDIT: No changes in St. Lou, which is somewhat surprising. Avs hang on to Sakic and Blake.

-Kevin

dando
07-27-05, 12:29 PM
The schedule is up on nhl.com. Highlights from TSN here:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131579&hubName=nhl

-Kevin

devilmaster
07-28-05, 12:26 PM
One down. One to go.

Goodenow steps down from the NHLPA.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131693

dando
07-28-05, 12:30 PM
One down. One to go.

Goodenow steps down from the NHLPA.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131693
Amen. Tho, I don't really expect Bettman to step aside until other league matters are resolved (TV contract, etc.). IMHO, Daly is being prepped to take over next year.

EDIT: McKenzie's take on the deals the Flyers signed Carter and Richards to yesterday:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131611

Could be the start of some hard-nosed bargaining yet to come. Douger MacLean has already indicated that the CBJ's unsigned picks from the last draft will not receive a better offer than is on the table.

-Kevin

devilmaster
07-28-05, 12:54 PM
Whoops! I should have said - One down, two to go. Bob Clarke should get the boot, the axe, and any other piece of gear people can think of to throw at him.

I don't think I much like Daly anymore than Bettman, as the interviews I saw with him, I thought he was just smug and arrogant. I wonder if it should be possible to go back to a hockey man to run the store. Daly could easily stay on in his position and do the negotiating bit from there. The NHL right now needs a recognizable face in the leadership role. Someone like Gretz who is recognizable outside of the hockey world would be the best bet.

I still think that they could have put someone like Gartner in to replace Goodenow's spot, instead of Saskin.

dando
07-28-05, 01:10 PM
Whoops! I should have said - One down, two to go. Bob Clarke should get the boot, the axe, and any other piece of gear people can think of to throw at him.

I don't think I much like Daly anymore than Bettman, as the interviews I saw with him, I thought he was just smug and arrogant. I wonder if it should be possible to go back to a hockey man to run the store. Daly could easily stay on in his position and do the negotiating bit from there. The NHL right now needs a recognizable face in the leadership role. Someone like Gretz who is recognizable outside of the hockey world would be the best bet.

I still think that they could have put someone like Gartner in to replace Goodenow's spot, instead of Saskin.
Stevie, I'm not a Bob Clarke fan (I'm signed up @ bobclarkemustgo.com), but he's just doing what needs to be done under the current CBA. Guys like Richards, Carter, Nash, Crosby, will get their due soon enough under the new FA rules. Just a sign o' the times. Goodenow's failing was not to take the deal on the table back in Feb. For that gaffe, the players should be hanging him from the nearest yardarm (threw that in for you, sea monkey ;) ). Bettman & Daly simply did what had to be done to stop the madness (IMHO). Anyway, that's history now....

Gretz and Mario are now in ownership positions, and I don't want another Bud Selig type in a commish position. How 'bout Don Cherry? :gomer: Perhaps a Scotty Bowman could sooth both sides? Personally I think you need to get a business guy in there like a Peter Uberoth, who will surround himself with the right hockey people, but get the sport growing again with sound business fundamentals. Just my $.02....

-Kevin

devilmaster
07-28-05, 04:40 PM
Stevie, I'm not a Bob Clarke fan (I'm signed up @ bobclarkemustgo.com), but he's just doing what needs to be done under the current CBA.

My comments weren't directed at this one event, i haven't liked bob for a loooong time. btw - thinking bout this, i tried to go to the bobclarkemustgo site, but wrote in a different web addy. The site i did hit was ummmm, not about hockey, and in fact made me forget about clarke and hockey all together. ;) :D

Goodenow's failing was not to take the deal on the table back in Feb. For that gaffe, the players should be hanging him from the nearest yardarm (threw that in for you, sea monkey ;) ). Abso-fricken-lutely.

My view on the whole situation was this. I blame the owners for getting hockey into this situation. What is a cap? A cap is to force owners to control themselves when spending for players. You put in a cap because owners can't control their own spending habits. I blame Bettman and the owners for holding onto a CBA that was obviously player favorable. (they agreed to extend the contract twice, before this lockout) I blame Bettman for mostly not being able to do what he was hired for. He was an NBA marketing guru when the NHL hired him... he got hockey a little better, made tons of money through generous TV contracts and expansion fees(which the owners then used to overspend for players), but hasn't been able to recover it when it went south. If I ever met bettman face to face and he gives me that line 'we had to do this for the betterment of hockey' crap, I'll simply ask him why he didn't try harder years ago.

I blame the players for not realizing earlier that the gravy train was over, and that they didn't deal the best possible contract they could have, causing a loss of a whole year. And i blame the players for putting their faith in a bargaining group that apparently wasn't telling them much, and for them not trying harder to find out.

In the end, both of the leaders are tainted with the disaster, regardless of how good they are at their job, and therefore they should be gone, period.

I'm not sure about Saskin. The new NHLPA leader should be a guy who knows that the new way of working is helping the NHL grow revenues, so that players get more for their chunk of the pie.

I'm happy you mentioned Scotty Bowman, cause i didn't think of him. He would definitely be a good candidate. I just feel hockey guys should be at the top of their organizations, and the lawyers can be the number 2 men. The lawyers do the work they are supposed to do, while the big bosses ensure the best is done for hockey. That's what was missing from Bettman and Goodenow - doing what's best for hockey.

And since Goodenow is gone, i hope the PA kicks David Frost's ass out on the street.

dando
07-28-05, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=dando]Stevie, I'm not a Bob Clarke fan (I'm signed up @ bobclarkemustgo.com), but he's just doing what needs to be done under the current CBA.

My comments weren't directed at this one event, i haven't liked bob for a loooong time. btw - thinking bout this, i tried to go to the bobclarkemustgo site, but wrote in a different web addy. The site i did hit was ummmm, not about hockey, and in fact made me forget about clarke and hockey all together. ;) :D
Bugger. Looks like the site died during the lockout. Heck, give it a few mos. and I'm sure some Philly phan will resurrect it. Last I saw it was up to a few K in sigs to oust the bastid. :thumbup:

-Kevin

devilmaster
07-30-05, 02:45 PM
Whew....

2 hrs, 40 min later, the first round is done......

My boys pick up a goalie for the future, and steal Jeff O'Neil from Carolina (sorry robbieg)

dando
07-30-05, 02:56 PM
Whew....

2 hrs, 40 min later, the first round is done......

My boys pick up a goalie for the future, and steal Jeff O'Neil from Carolina (sorry robbieg)
Which bandwagon r u on this season? :gomer: ;) BTW, I saw that the Leafies lowered tix price$, which is very surprising. I dint expect (m)any of the established teams to do so.

CBJs pick up C Gilbert Brule. EJ's take from ESPN.com:

Hradek's Take: This could be a great pick for the Blue Jackets. One scout compared Brule to a young Doug Gilmour. Brule is a skilled kid who plays with tough edge. He had 39 goals, 87 points and 169 PIM for Vancouver (WHL). Some say he's too small (5-10, 180) to play that game in the NHL. Maybe. But, the Hall of Fame is full of guys who were no bigger than Brule. I really like this pick.

McKenzie's take:

BOB MCKENZIE'S TAKE: They say the combative Vancouver Giant forward is only 5-foot-10, but he's much bigger when you take into account the chip on his shoulder. One scout described him as a more skilled version of Michael Peca, which is why a guy like Don Cherry thinks the world of Brule. Brule likes to score goals, and is good at it, but he also enjoys hitting and scrapping and battling as much or more. Some scouts wonder, at Brule's size, how that will play at the next level, but there's no disputing his talent and many believe he'll be a better player when he learns to pick his spots on the physical side and concentrate more on his skill game.

Nash, Brule, Zherdev....oh yeah, baby!

I was kinda hoping they might jump up to get D Jack Johnson, but I would have hated for them to have overpaid for him in a draft this deep.

EDIT: looks like the bonehead pick of the 1st round belongs to the Montreal for taking a G @ #5 overall (TSN dint have him in their top 30 overall). EJ's comments on this pick:

Hradek's Take: Are you kidding? Why would the Canadiens select a goalie at No. 5? They have Jose Theodore, who turns 29 in September. Price is the top-rated goalie, but he doesn't fit in Montreal. In fact, one scout told me he wasn't sure Price would live up to the expectations. They could have taken Gilbert Brule. They could have taken Jack Skille or Marc Staal. I don't get this one. :laugh:

-Kevin

dando
08-01-05, 06:58 PM
So the free agent frenzy begins. Panthers sign Roberts and Nieuwendyk from the Leafies. Rangers possibly interested in Forsbag and Naslund....when are they gonna learn that they gotta play D, 2? :shakehead

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132137&hubName=nhl

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-03-05, 12:12 PM
Wow, my head is spinning trying to follow this free agency process. I see my Kings got Pavol Demitra, but lost out in the bidding on Miroslav Satan. That would have been nice. I'm hoping they re-sign Ziggy Palffy, but please, please, please dump Josef Stumpel!!!

I'd love to see them get Forsberg, but I don't think that's going to happen, so I'd settle for Paul Kariya.

I see Naslund went back to the Canucks.

I think it's going to take half the season to sort out who's-who in the NHL this year. There's going to be a lot of "hey, that guy's playing with them now?", and it'll take a while for all the new team chemistries to sort themselves out. Add to that all the new regulations, and it should be an interesting year.

dando
08-03-05, 01:14 PM
Wow, my head is spinning trying to follow this free agency process.
Ain't it, to? :eek: I'm gonna need a program for every team it appears. Check out the latest @:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/

Modo to re-sign w/Starz, Jarome re-inks w/Call Gary...Pengies get Gonchar, Blues trade Pronger to Oilers....on and on. Wow! All of this plus the rules changes will make for a very interesting upcoming season. I just hope they get a deal done with the Mouse House, or I may hafta contemplate getting Center Ice to catch more games than local Fox and NBC.

-Kevin

devilmaster
08-03-05, 01:53 PM
and DM waits patiently for toronto to sign anybody..... :mad:

dando
08-03-05, 02:07 PM
Could be worse, Stevie...I read where Lindross could wind up in Toronto. :saywhat:

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-03-05, 04:42 PM
Wow, was not expecting St. Louis to unload Pronger :saywhat:.

Boston made a great move re-signing Glenn Murray and getting Leetch, although he's up in years.

Can't believe no one's picked up LeClair yet. He'd be a good fit in Boston, too.

FTG
08-03-05, 04:44 PM

Agreed. Not looking too good right now.

dando
08-03-05, 06:51 PM
Can't believe no one's picked up LeClair yet. He'd be a good fit in Boston, too.
LeClair is likely further down the shopping list for many teams, based on his performance and the number of injuries he's had over the past few years. He's been one of my favorite Flyers since we stole him from the Habs. :D I'll wager he ends up in NYR (poor bastid). IMO, a few of the larger dominoes need to fall b4 second-tier players like LeClair find a home. Also, with the new rules, bangers like Johnny may have less prominent role.

In the meantime, the CBJs add Berard to Foote on the blueline. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
08-03-05, 07:14 PM
The Islanders have traded Peca to the Oilers. Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow, IMO. :rofl: (No offense meant to anyone that lives in Edmonton, its just Peca just irks the heck out of me since he said he couldn't support a family on 3.5 mil a year :shakehead ).

Meanwhile, still waiting for Darcy Regier and the gang to get off the pot and sign someone, anyone, to the Sabres.

dando
08-04-05, 10:12 AM
Phlyers land Forsbag! Is Lord Stanley coming to Philly? :D

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-04-05, 12:07 PM
Yep, now the word is Roenick to the LA Kings to make room for Forsberg at Philly under the cap. While I like his blue-collar work ethic, he's got a big mouth, he's older, and it's only going to be a 1 year deal, so no long term benefits.

Could be fun to watch him play for a year, though, if it happens.

dando
08-04-05, 01:06 PM
JR sent packing to the Kings. :cry:

Bobby Clarke = boob. :mad:

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-04-05, 05:10 PM
JR sent packing to Kings! :D

Bobby Clarke = boob. :laugh:

- Scott

(sorry Kevin :( )

dando
08-04-05, 08:42 PM
One of my favorite anit-Clarke bits from the old bobclarkemustgo.com site (A Day in the Life of Bobby Clarke):

http://www.baystreetbullies.com/misc/bobbyclarke.html

:rofl:

-Kevin

cart7
08-04-05, 08:47 PM
Wow, was not expecting St. Louis to unload Pronger :saywhat:.

Pronger - " I really wish I could've stayed longer in St. Louis"

Here's a hint Chris. Ask for less money! The teams losing 40 million a year and is up for sale. Geez! :rolleyes:

dando
08-04-05, 09:51 PM
Leafies re-sign Domi:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132468

Now you can relax, Steve. ;)

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
08-05-05, 12:57 AM
Brewer, Woywitka, and Lynch are going to be more useful for the Blues in the next 2-3 years than Pronger will be for the Blues.

Roenick will probably find some strange way to get hurt the moment he steps off the plane at LAX.

Bobby Clarke must be more delusional than I thought if he thinks he could go anywhere with those traffic cones he signed to play D.

dando
08-05-05, 09:36 AM
Bobby Clarke must be more delusional than I thought if he thinks he could go anywhere with those traffic cones he signed to play D.

Cork, it ain't about the D...just look @ NYR. Oh, wait.... :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
08-05-05, 10:13 AM
Brewer, Woywitka, and Lynch are going to be more useful for the Blues in the next 2-3 years than Pronger will be for the Blues.

Roenick will probably find some strange way to get hurt the moment he steps off the plane at LAX.

Yeah, JR might take a puck to the choppers while exiting the plane. :shakehead

Wow, we agree on something for once...the trees Clarke signed up on D won't work well under the new rules. I've never been a big Hatcher fan regardless.

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-05-05, 11:10 AM
Hehe...I'm going to like having Roenick. Since their first year, I've HATED the Ducks...here's what Roenick had to say about them, on his first day in a King uniform:

"Does Anaheim even have a city? Are there big buildings there? I love Costa Mesa, there are big buildings there, but in Anaheim? Now, here in LA, we have lots of big buildings. We're a city."

"I can see them trying to do a lot of good things in Anaheim. I still think we'll kick their ass."

A reporter asked him if he wanted to soften that last quote. He softened it by saying "We're going to kick their ass up and down".

:thumbup:

dando
08-05-05, 12:27 PM
A snipet from the Toronto Sun via the local fish wrap on the Lack of movement by the Leafies:

By signing free-agent defensemen Adam Foote, the Blue Jackets turned up the heat on Toronto Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson, who was seen as fiddling while his franchise burned.

"The Leafs have suddenly become an exit ramp instead of a destination," Toronto Sun columnist Steve Simmons wrote. "Those who play for the team and those who want to play for the team now wonder amongst themselves about the lack of buyouts, about free-agent qualifying offers, about a team that appears to be heading nowhere.

"There were 57 messages on (Gary) Roberts’ cellular phone on Monday (after he signed with Florida), almost all of them from players around the NHL. Not coincidentally, Adam Foote, hoping to play for the Leafs, signed a long-term contract in Columbus, where no one grows up dreaming of playing for the Blue Jackets."

Douger Mac gets the best of the Leafies. Gotta love it! :D

-Kevin

dando
08-05-05, 12:30 PM
Hehe...I'm going to like having Roenick. Since their first year, I've HATED the Ducks...here's what Roenick had to say about them, on his first day in a King uniform:

"Does Anaheim even have a city? Are there big buildings there? I love Costa Mesa, there are big buildings there, but in Anaheim? Now, here in LA, we have lots of big buildings. We're a city."

"I can see them trying to do a lot of good things in Anaheim. I still think we'll kick their ass."

A reporter asked him if he wanted to soften that last quote. He softened it by saying "We're going to kick their ass up and down".

:thumbup:
:rofl: :cry:

Yer gonna love watching him play out there, M3. JR shoots from the hip and leaves it all on the ice. Plus, he's as gritty as they come. He was a perfect fit for the former Broad Street Bullies. Alas, those daze are over.

-Kevin

dando
08-05-05, 01:32 PM
The Bulin Wall comes to Chicago! :eek:

-Kevin

devilmaster
08-05-05, 01:55 PM
I think Harold Ballard is back in charge at Toronto, and no one has noticed him......

dando
08-05-05, 05:35 PM
I think Harold Ballard is back in charge at Toronto, and no one has noticed him......
Leafies sign Jason Allison. He should be good for a coupla games ala Owen Nolan. :gomer:

Preds signed Kariya. Frickin' Western Central conference is getting mucho tougher. :(

-Kevin

tllips
08-06-05, 07:52 AM
The Bulin Wall comes to Chicago! :eek:

-Kevin

Yeah, but who's going to fill the other net with biscuits??

Especially since we didn't get Kariya

chop456
08-06-05, 08:09 AM

Yer gonna love watching him play out there, M3. JR shoots from the hip and leaves it all on the ice. Plus, he's as gritty as they come.

-Kevin

He also likes racing kids in Altimas in his S-Class on the Eisenhower expressway in Chicago.

Or so I've heard. ;)

dando
08-07-05, 04:53 PM
Reports outta AZ are that Gretz will coach the 'yotes. :thumbup: :cool:

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-07-05, 07:56 PM
Ugh...no Ziggy, no Kariya for my Kings....they BETTER spend that 9 million they've got left.

Ankf00
08-07-05, 08:37 PM

Yer gonna love watching him play out there, M3. JR shoots from the hip and leaves it all on the ice. Plus, he's as gritty as they come. He was a perfect fit for the former Broad Street Bullies. Alas, those daze are over.

-Kevin

roenick's over the hill and worthless, keep wishing he was a "broad street bully".... you wankers haven't been worth your salt since eisenhower had 4 stars :gomer:

dando
08-07-05, 10:58 PM
roenick's over the hill and worthless, keep wishing he was a "broad street bully".... you wankers haven't been worth your salt since eisenhower had 4 stars :gomer:
Eh? Perhaps you should consider that the Phlyers ain't an original 6 team, ya egit. :gomer:

Perhaps you should familiarize yerself with the game of hockey, holmes:

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/gameday/rules.asp

:D

-Kevin

EVL29
08-08-05, 10:24 AM
Ugh...no Ziggy, no Kariya for my Kings....they BETTER spend that 9 million they've got left.

Hopefully,some of that money will go towards a decent goaltender.

Cechmanek=IRL :flame:

dando
08-08-05, 05:55 PM
Bert's back. :thumdown:

EDIT: Here's a linkiy to the text of Bettman's decision:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132834&hubName=nhl

-Kevin

CART T. Katz
08-08-05, 06:10 PM
this is f***ing sick

TODD F***ING BERTUZZI SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED BACK IN THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE UNTIL STEVE MOORE IS ABLE TO PLAY IN THE NHL AGAIN PLUS 10 GAMES. :flame: :flame: :mad: :mad:

i'm not going to say anything more on this because as an avalanche fan, i feel i may say something i may regret.

but i will say this; this only again confirms how much of a spineless cowering little bastard that gary bettman is. the sooner that this ass is out of the nhl, the sooner we as hockey fans can start the recovery of our sport.

Dr. Corkski
08-08-05, 06:39 PM
Bertuzzi is a Lady Byng candidate comparing to the likes of Derian Hatcher.

dando
08-11-05, 04:13 PM
Sorry Leafies fans:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2131065

But....

:laugh: :gomer: :D

I read in the local fishwrap that the CBJs were talking to Lunkhead, 2, and I about fell outta my chair. :saywhat:

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-11-05, 07:47 PM
Hahaha - they'd have to be morons to sign that guy to a multi-year guaranteed contract. If they do the Leafs GM should get his head examined too!

edit: assuming they could get his contract insured (which is doubtful), would a season-ending injury, which caused the policy to kick in, eliminate his salary from the cap, since the salary was being paid by the insurance company?

FTG
08-11-05, 08:08 PM
One year deal. Little risk, lots of upside, but I doubt it'll pay off.

We should start a pool on games until his first concussion. I'll say 40.

Ankf00
08-11-05, 09:10 PM
bert's being back is a joke, he should have to sit out an actual season, not an imaginary one...

dando
08-11-05, 10:58 PM

Over/under is 20 games. 1 yr. @ $1.5mm isn't much risk, but it's just another poor player move by the Leafies (Gilmour, Nolan, Eddie B....).

-Kevin

RacinM3
08-11-05, 11:51 PM

I'll take 11 games. The guy's a skating target.

dando
08-18-05, 12:25 PM
No ESPN. :(

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=133834

How in the heck does hockey fit in with the Outdoor Life Network? :saywhat:

-Kevin

rabbit
08-18-05, 12:27 PM

-Kevinhttp://espn.starwave.com/media/nhl/2003/1121/photo/a_michigan_hi.jpg

:)

dando
08-18-05, 12:50 PM
http://espn.starwave.com/media/nhl/2003/1121/photo/a_michigan_hi.jpg

:)
:p

Aye, oHIo State and them nancy boyz from Madison are playing outdoors in Green Bay next season. Too bad it's not consistently cold enough in Cbus to support outdoor ice...I'd love to see OSU face U/M in The Shoe on ice sometime.

-Kevin

Steve99
08-18-05, 01:33 PM
No ESPN. :(

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=133834

-Kevin
Wow, now that is an obscure network. Guess I won't be seeing much of the NHL anytime soon. :shakehead

tllips
08-18-05, 02:47 PM
:p

Too bad it's not consistently cold enough in Cbus to support outdoor ice...
-Kevin

The Rangers played the Kings in an exhibition game outside at Caesar's in Vegas. I believe game time temp was 80F. They have developed a chemical that keeps the water frozen up to something like 75F.

I always wondered if the Panthers and Lightning use this chemical just as a precaution to improve their ice in such a warm climate.

devilmaster
08-23-05, 05:52 PM
Atlanta is supposed to announce today that they have traded Dany Heatley to Ottawa for Greg DeVries and Marian Hossa.....

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=134320

Ankf00
08-23-05, 07:19 PM
Atlanta is supposed to announce today that they have traded Dany Heatley to Ottawa for Greg DeVries and Marian Hossa.....

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=134320

so that's how you avoid felony vehicular manslaughter, you jump the country...

dando
08-23-05, 07:32 PM
so that's how you avoid felony vehicular manslaughter, you jump the country...
Nah, he was already found guilty. Change of scenery might do the kid some good.

-Kevin