View Full Version : Warp speed now, Scotty

Wabbit
07-20-05, 12:37 PM
http://www.komotv.com/stories/38077.htm
:cry:

devilmaster
07-20-05, 12:59 PM
Damn!

At 19, James escaped the turmoil at home by joining the Canadian army, becoming a lieutenant in artillery. He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. "The sea was rough," he recalled. "We were more afraid of drowning than the Germans."

The Canadians crossed a minefield laid for tanks; the soldiers weren't heavy enough to detonate the bombs. At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on the screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. Fortunately the chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.

The real reason to honour this man.

KLang
07-20-05, 01:07 PM
Damn!

WOW, I had no idea. RIP Scotty.

IlliniRacer
07-20-05, 02:47 PM
Damn!

I had heard that before but never knew if it was an urban legend or not. :thumbup: :thumbup:

nrc
07-20-05, 04:41 PM
From getting shot on Juno beach to siring children at 80. I guess Star Trek ain't no big thing. :thumbup:

Warpspeed, Scotty.

JohnHKart
07-20-05, 06:33 PM
What is cool is he had a farewell appearance with his fans in Hollywood after he was diagonosed with Alzheimer's a few years ago...not too many people get to do that.

John

Jervis Tetch 1
07-21-05, 07:28 PM
He lived long and he certainly prospered. RIP James Doohan.

Don Quixote
07-22-05, 08:47 AM
I read a blurb on him in the paper yesterday where he said that he really liked Captain Kirk, but didn't think much of William Shatner. Once you survive getting shot up on Juno Beach, what's to keep you from speaking your mind the rest of your life? :thumbup: