PDA

View Full Version : RM's IRL Report Card

coolhand
07-19-05, 04:50 PM
http://speedtv.com/commentary/18282/

Ganassi's biggest problem is deciding whether to be embarassed at an IRL or NASCAR race :rofl:

dando
07-19-05, 06:05 PM
Or this gem:

Finally, ABC and ESPN get a D-minus-minus. They need to try what the NFL did once many years ago; an event with no play-by-play announcer, just glorious silence.

:laugh:

I'm almost tempted to watch a race just to see how bad these idiots are.

-Kevin

coolhand
07-19-05, 06:19 PM
Or this gem:

-Kevin

you think you have heard enough of Danica :shakehead

dando
07-19-05, 06:28 PM
you think you have heard enough of Danica :shakehead
It's even worse here in Cbus since Rahole's shop is ~5 miles from my house. :(

-Kevin

Wally
07-19-05, 06:31 PM
So floyd/tcgr is not all he thinks he is heh........couldn't happen to a more deserving owner. :thumbup:

coolhand
07-19-05, 06:38 PM
somone once said

Chip could eat his own arm and not be any more full of himself

If you really want to learn funny stuff about people like chip, people in the paddock like the truck drivers and hospitality people have funny stories.

Like Chip yelling at caterers for feeding the woman first instead of him. :laugh:

Al Czervik
07-19-05, 07:24 PM
somone once said

If you really want to learn funny stuff about people like chip, people in the paddock like the truck drivers and hospitality people have funny stories.

Like Chip yelling at caterers for feeding the woman first instead of him. :laugh:

There is no "I" in team, but there is in Chip Gannasi - J Vasser

trauma1
07-20-05, 08:07 AM
this is the one that really sticks out, and sadly they better change thier policy before someone ends upo in a wheelchair :shakehead

The IRL safety team gets called to the principal's office. Why do they insist on letting drivers (Buddy Rice and Tomas Enge for example) get out of their cars following big impact accidents? Get them immobilized, put them on a stretcher and don't take any chances. Upon further examination, Rice and Enge turned out to be more seriously injured but, thankfully, didn't suffer any paralysis.

JLMannin
07-20-05, 01:03 PM
The IRL safety team gets called to the principal's office. Why do they insist on letting drivers (Buddy Rice and Tomas Enge for example) get out of their cars following big impact accidents? Get them immobilized, put them on a stretcher and don't take any chances. Upon further examination, Rice and Enge turned out to be more seriously injured but, thankfully, didn't suffer any paralysis.

I agree completely, but look at it from an IRL team owners point of view: to properly extricate the driver would entail cutting the tub. Teams will run out ot tubs much faster than they will drivers. Also, it's harder to play the delayed injury reporting game if every driver is taken out on a back board after a patented 180 spin and rearward wall impact.

Insomniac
07-20-05, 02:01 PM
I agree completely, but look at it from an IRL team owners point of view: to properly extricate the driver would entail cutting the tub. Teams will run out ot tubs much faster than they will drivers. Also, it's harder to play the delayed injury reporting game if every driver is taken out on a back board after a patented 180 spin and rearward wall impact.

This isn't even about the tubs. The driver's should just remain in their cars (or be told to) given the high probability that your back might be broken on any type of rear impact into the wall.

G.
07-20-05, 03:25 PM
You guys are missing the obvious solution. The tubs should have a built-in backboard set into the seat. After the wallkiss, the safety team just extricate the driver on his (her) own custom-formed backboard.

:gomer:

pchall
07-20-05, 07:21 PM
You guys are missing the obvious solution. The tubs should have a built-in backboard set into the seat. After the wallkiss, the safety team just extricate the driver on his (her) own custom-formed backboard.

Make it an ejector seat with programmable trajectory through a GPS device parachuting the survival backboard capsule right to the nearest MRI machine.

TKGAngel
07-20-05, 07:24 PM

Weren't they trying to develop this at some point in time?

Besides, if they had to pull out a backboard everytime a driver whomped the wall hard, they would spend more time putting on a driver extrication clinic than a race. No fun for the "paying" fans.

TedN
07-20-05, 07:44 PM
In F1, the cars have seats which can be extracted with the driver in it in case of injury. All the extrication seats must be removable with the same tool (or none) and without cutting the seat belts.

In the event of a crash, the Lear APEX System (patent pending) provides improved head protection as well as enhanced driver safety during the extrication and transport of an injured driver. The APEX System is designedto fit into a standardized package space (or monocoque tub), allowing it to be easily adapted for other open-cockpit race series (CART, IRL, etc.) that adopt a standard cockpit.

Link (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-22-2000/0001319619&EDATE=)

Not sure why this has not been adopted by the IRL. Anyone know if this seat system is utilized in Champ Car?

Ted

CART T. Katz
07-21-05, 12:09 AM
Anyone know if this seat system is utilized in Champ Car?

i don't think so but it would be a good idea for the new chassis. i wish they would implement it now, but i think that it would cost too much right now to put it in and tptb are trying to keep costs down.

oddlycalm
07-21-05, 04:56 PM
I'm almost tempted to watch a race just to see how bad these idiots are. Yeah, it's probably funnier than the last 20yrs of SNL anyway. I dunno about actually taking valuable weekend hours to watch an EARL twirl, but I will definitely want to read pressdog's blog after the fact. He has it nailed and I laughed my tail off reading his blog on the Nasheville broadcast thanks to G. discovering it.

There have been some really dopey sports broadcasts over the years, but the ABC/ESPN/EARL combo seems to be a new low water mark. :gomer: :thumbup:

oc

Racing Truth
07-22-05, 06:30 PM
Or this gem:

-Kevin

You don't want to do that. Really, you don't.

Racing Truth
07-22-05, 06:31 PM
Yeah, it's probably funnier than the last 20yrs of SNL anyway. I dunno about actually taking valuable weekend hours to watch an EARL twirl, but I will definitely want to read pressdog's blog after the fact. He has it nailed and I laughed my tail off reading his blog on the Nasheville broadcast thanks to G. discovering it.

There have been some really dopey sports broadcasts over the years, but the ABC/ESPN/EARL combo seems to be a new low water mark. :gomer: :thumbup:

oc

Pressdog is an absolute comedic genius. :laugh: