Sean O'Gorman
07-18-05, 11:36 AM
Found these on honda-tech, apparently it happened over the weekend:

http://mk31.image.pbase.com/v3/76/44376/1/46317629.bf071705031.jpg

:cry:

More pics here: http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005

trauma1
07-18-05, 11:40 AM
sean, was that up at RA this past weekednd. reminds me of a time a guy at the mile took his porshe out after a ccws tire test session and totaled it in turn 3, track officails weren't to happy.

KLang
07-18-05, 11:48 AM
WTF :confused:

Did this happen at the start of a race?

SteveH
07-18-05, 11:48 AM
Just heard from someone there that it happened at the start and the 'racers' ignored the flag men.

KLang
07-18-05, 11:52 AM
Was it dark or foggy or a blizzard or something? I don't understand how that could happen.

Sean O'Gorman
07-18-05, 11:56 AM
Was it dark or foggy or a blizzard or something? I don't understand how that could happen.

"Red mist", I guess. This was posted at the thread I found the pictures at: http://www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/viewtopic.php?t=4702

That is why if I ever have the money to road race, it will definitely not be in a vintage car, too much to risk. I think that is how a Spec Miata is expected to come out as.

Dirty Sanchez
07-18-05, 11:57 AM
I was there... saw it happen in front of me. still don't know what to say... this kinda stuff is just not supposed to happen in a historics event. lots of torn up equipment, but it sounds like everyone made it out ok. the accident would not have been as bad if several drivers knew what a red flag meant. what a shame :thumdown:

I'm also in a few of those shots on the starting bridge :gomer:

NismoZ
07-18-05, 11:57 AM
I'm in shock. I was there Th-Fri-Sat and met/talked/photographed ALL of those guys! Any info on injuries?...I know Karl Schiffemayer in the #25 Cobra (longest continuously raced 1 owner Cobra on earth!)...That was a huge race group and from the looks of it something happened at the start of the race at the front of the field? That's some of the fastest qualifiers. More later if I can find out anything.

Sean O'Gorman
07-18-05, 11:58 AM
Any info on injuries?

Apparently one guy has a broken arm, but everyone else is fine, aside from quite a few busted egos.

NismoZ
07-18-05, 12:14 PM
Thanks, good links, minor injuries...major finger-pointing. Something better be done before the next one!

KLang
07-18-05, 12:38 PM
Is there a video of this available?

Easy
07-18-05, 12:45 PM
I was there and missed this thankfully. Otherwise I might have hopped the barrier and started beating those guys with the rulebook and possibly some irreplaceable broken parts from their priceless vintage race cars. I'll bet some of those guys will not be invited back by HSR.

racer2c
07-18-05, 12:58 PM
The problem is obvious, that dummy driving the black and red vette was going the wrong way. It's fun in video games, not in real life. :gomer:

JT265
07-18-05, 01:00 PM
If Crapus hadn't been there, I would call BS. I mean seriously, Mario Dominquez was like 1500 miles away! :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
07-18-05, 01:05 PM
If Crapus hadn't been there, I would call BS. I mean seriously, Mario Dominquez was like 1500 miles away! :gomer:

Actually, it looks like the guy with the Canadian flag on his Corvette just plowed into everyone, furthering the damage, so therefore, it is all JV's fault. :D

Racing Truth
07-18-05, 01:23 PM
Actually, it looks like the guy with the Canadian flag on his Corvette just plowed into everyone, furthering the damage, so therefore, it is all JV's fault. :D

:laugh: :laugh:

JT265
07-18-05, 01:57 PM

In fact, that was JV's cousin Henri, who JV introduced to racing, and Henri just thought it was like Montreal rush hour and he would make hay while the sun shines. :doh!:

Anyway, it couldn't be JV's fault, 'cause JV would still be in Canada corner complaining about brakes. :gomer:

:D

RacinM3
07-18-05, 02:41 PM
So is everyone getting a 13/13 suspension? There will be no one left to race! :laugh:

World's most expensive yard sale.

cart7
07-18-05, 04:22 PM
Looks like the backlot after an old Burt Reynolds movie.

SteveH
07-18-05, 04:28 PM
Historics are now IRL sanctioned? :gomer:

TravelGal
07-18-05, 04:29 PM

Made me spit chocolate all over my computer. :rofl:

fourrunner
07-18-05, 04:55 PM
Looks like the Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia on your typical Tuesday Rush Hour!!

cart7
07-18-05, 08:16 PM
After reading posts on both those sites it appears someone got overly aggressive and started racing before the green was thrown. The position car he was trying to pass tried blocking him into the wall and then the dreaded accordian effect from cars following who couldn't see the red flag through all the smoke. Geebus, what a sad end to some fine machinery. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Al Czervik
07-18-05, 08:32 PM
I can fix it. My dad's a television repair man and he's got this ultimate set of tools.

Someones gotta be Spicoli :gomer:

JohnHKart
07-18-05, 08:52 PM
Geebus, what a sad end to some fine machinery. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

I'm not a body shop guy, but these all look rebuildable, but it will be a lot of money and man hours. That 6 car though may be close to the end.

John

extramundane
07-18-05, 11:35 PM
That 6 car though may be close to the end.

John

I suspect the car underneath the 6 car might be in a tad worse shape.

FCYTravis
07-19-05, 02:06 AM
There's a lot of stuff bodymen can fix.

http://misheli.image.pbase.com/v3/76/44376/1/46317623.bf071705025.jpg

That ain't one of 'em. :eek:

pedroskova
07-19-05, 06:12 AM
...the dreaded accordian effect from cars following who couldn't see the red flag through all the smoke.

...they could have taken a hint.

JohnHKart
07-19-05, 06:44 AM
Is that orange car a Corvette? Had no idea there was something under the 6 car.....ouch.

John

Dirty Sanchez
07-19-05, 09:07 AM
before

http://www.champweb.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10007/bric_25.jpg

after :o

http://www.champweb.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10007/bric_23.jpg

many more images can be found here (http://www.champweb.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=83) (not all the shots in this gallery are mine)

there will be updates throughout the week...

Grunschev
07-20-05, 12:58 AM
I got this in an email from a friend of a friend:

I was the operating steward for this race. The pace car did what was the right thing to do. We gave them instructions for each group. The two pole guys admitted to running up the hill at 5000 rpm in 3rd gear. The fifth place guy was racing well before the green flag and tryed to force his way between the wall and the car in front of him. He started scraping the wall and the guy behind him checked up and the car that hit him started to spin and then it was one after another into them. I am amazed that no one was killed. All the drivers except two had hans devices.

The green flag was in deed thrown. I red flagged the race with in 3 seconds of the green. Even with the red flag the drivers in the back just keep driving into the rear. The red was shown at corner 15(the walk over bridge). The drivers just did not pay attention. All drivers were forced to attend a meeting right after the incident. They were all yelled at. Interesting that in a few classes they are not allowed to pass until after turn 1 (Historic Gran Prix) and turn 3 for Can Am. One historic Gran Prix driver was banned from their series for life due to an incident in the kink.

I have to agree that the drivers in this group are some of the most agressive drivers I have ever seen. More distrubing to me were how many fist fights started after drivers started getting out of there cars. I feel that if they were able to get out they should have been happy they could even move after a incident like this.

I was very happy with how all of our crews came together to work in the heat. We had a steady flow of water for all the rescue crews, ambulance crews and wrecker crews while they were working in over 90 degree heat. What a great team.

Mike Engelke

Igor

mapguy
07-20-05, 01:07 AM
There's a lot of stuff bodymen can fix.

http://misheli.image.pbase.com/v3/76/44376/1/46317623.bf071705025.jpg

That ain't one of 'em. :eek:

Nice man-tees....

Winston Wolfe
07-20-05, 02:09 AM
Nice man-tees....

That dude needs a "bro", or a "man-sierre" for us old Seinfeld fans... :thumbup:

Fio1
07-20-05, 10:45 AM
Man, that is the biggest cluster f*** I've ever seen since the 98 (?) F1 race at Spa and 87 Austrian GP. Man, you would think these guys would take care of these classic cars. Like someone else said, these are $20,000 Spec Miatas.... :rolleyes:

Who's the guy who started the wreck? The guy who was passing everyone against the wall before the line, before he spun? That guy should be shot with a rusted bullet! :flame:

trauma1
07-20-05, 11:34 AM
a few years ago it happened at the mile during a ASA race 10 cars before the green was shown, believe adam petty caused it, it was a frecking mess , they put them in back up cars, the ones that were cleared to drive,

TorontoWorker
07-21-05, 09:14 PM
Who is the driver and home town of car #60? (Vette) Anyone?

JohnHKart
07-22-05, 07:05 AM
a few years ago it happened at the mile during a ASA race 10 cars before the green was shown, believe adam petty caused it, it was a frecking mess , they put them in back up cars, the ones that were cleared to drive,

Yeah and then he ran over and killed his crew chief in the same series. That poor kid was cursed.

John

Dirty Sanchez
07-25-05, 11:46 AM
champweb is back up...

finished my BRIC gallery last night with 40 more images. lotsa monoposto stuff... loved shooting those little cars :thumbup:

link (http://www.champweb.net/coppermine/index.php?cat=26)

http://www.champweb.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10007/bric_74.jpg

NismoZ
07-29-05, 05:56 PM
Crapus?...I hate you! You must be one of those guys who always stands in front of me when I'm trying to get my "civilian" shots! :) Overgrowth, cement, catch fences, porta-potties (!...c'mon you turn 6 workers, walk 27 more feet and use the GOOD one INside the fence!) billboards...ALL have reduced my site lines over the years. Sorry, can't pay $300 to move up. Still love the place, though...but WORK with me, will ya, RA!?

Sean O'Gorman
08-12-05, 12:21 AM
Oh no, it happened again!

http://p075.ezboard.com/fpockitfrm2.showMessage?topicID=12212.topic

Michaelhatesfans
08-12-05, 01:21 AM
Oh no, it happened again!

http://p075.ezboard.com/fpockitfrm2.showMessage?topicID=12212.topic
Looks like something that I'd do. And then of course my wife would walk in, see what I just spent the past two hours on, realize that I was taking photos of it, and then quietly walk out with that "you wanker" look on her face.
:gomer:

cart7
08-12-05, 05:15 AM
Awesome find SeanO. Good to see a scientific study including a recreation of that horrible accident. This deserves it's own Discovery channel special. :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
08-12-05, 10:06 AM
. . . This deserves it's own Discovery channel special. :gomer:

I've got an idear, GET BACK TO WORK!!!!

G.
08-12-05, 01:19 PM
wonder if those guys have the proof that PT won the earl 497.5?

NismoZ
08-12-05, 01:51 PM
C'mon...you mean I'm the only one here who used to set fire to model airplanes, then crash' em? Don't blame me, blame hollywood. PS-IS there any video of the real carnage at RA?

Dirty Sanchez
08-12-05, 02:02 PM
talked to the camera operator on the starter's bridge. she said she missed it. she had the camera pointed at the flag man for the start of this one (I guess looking for a different shot or whatever). when the carnage happened, I think they all hit the deck because there was crap flying everywhere.

that was the story I got. I'm sure the track would have buried any footage they had anyway.

once the initial panic settled there were a couple of security guys that were being dicks to several of the photographers there too.

Redwing
08-12-05, 05:35 PM
C'mon...you mean I'm the only one here who used to set fire to model airplanes, then crash' em? Don't blame me, blame hollywood. PS-IS there any video of the real carnage at RA?

The week after the race I saw a classified ad in the Milw. Journal selling a video of the crash, so something must be out there.

Michaelhatesfans
08-12-05, 07:21 PM
C'mon...you mean I'm the only one here who used to set fire to model airplanes, then crash' em?
A fishing line going from the top of the chimney to the base of the fence, a paperclip, a box of old snap together models, a tube of model glue (makes great smoke!), a few packs of firecrackers, and voila - the perfect after school entertainment!
I'm 20 years out of high school, and last summer my dad was still finding bits of plastic in the garden! :laugh: