PDA

View Full Version : The turn-around plan for CCWS

jonovision_man
07-18-05, 09:16 AM
I expect a big part of the CCWS turn-around plan was to shed the unprofitable events and replace them with winners. And I'm reasonably certain Toronto especially is the model they are going with.

Edmonton was the first real race they've added (assuming you ignore Las Vegas), and I think it's pretty safe to say it's a winner. From everything I've heard from people I know who attended, it was very much organized like Toronto. Complete with trade show type things, bands, beer gardens, beauty contests.

San Jose next, that one I'm not as sure of, but let's give it a chance. It's being done by Singleton, who was behind the Toronto races for years before jumping to this consulting role for SJ.

Ansan, South Korea - I'm sure it'll be financially solid for CCWS right from the start or they wouldn't be doing it.

China in 2006.

It's starting to look like KK and the guys have their heads on straight... I hated to see Road America dumped, but it wasn't profitable, whereas the replacements likely will be. If they nail enough of the winners, added to the other winners already on the calendar, they could just succeed in turning this thing around. :thumbup:

(Note: I'm not generally an optimist ;) )

jono

cart7
07-18-05, 09:44 AM
Here's hoping that after they get that schedule of winning, profitable events that they can then go back and start putting a few of the old venues back on the map and concentrate on bringing them back to life.

jonovision_man
07-18-05, 09:48 AM
Here's hoping that after they get that schedule of winning, profitable events that they can then go back and start putting a few of the old venues back on the map and concentrate on bringing them back to life.

Agreed. When the series was healthy, Road America was doing fine.

jono

pchall
07-18-05, 10:17 AM

Does that mean that John Bruggentheis and Michelle Gajoch should be booked on Tony George's helicopter flight? ;)

SteveH
07-18-05, 11:42 AM
Edmonton was the first real race

The key is real race. First and foremost, this was a real race, not a street parade. I won't mind urban races added to the schedule even if RA, MO and LS never return as long as the course layout can provide decent racing. The fans that turned out for Edmonton had no idea what they were in for, no idea if the track would yeild a decent race, lucky of them (and us) it did. Now, they will return, year after year.

I'm still a bit apprehensive that every street course can provide the intensity that was on display yesterday but if they do, watch out. :thumbup:

dando
07-18-05, 12:15 PM
Does that mean that John Bruggentheis and Michelle Gajoch should be booked on Tony George's helicopter flight? ;)
:rofl:

-Kevin

JT265
07-18-05, 12:54 PM

Michelle, sure. But you would be better served to put George Boogerthighs on the plane instead.

Racing Truth
07-18-05, 01:31 PM

That would be my hope, but ask yourself a question: Why should they?

If indeed this path is successful, why should they deviate? KK has said he is big on the street path. I haven't always been thrilled with that, but again, if it works, why change? And so far, so good. :thumbup:

Racing Truth
07-18-05, 01:32 PM
The key is real race. First and foremost, this was a real race, not a street parade. I won't mind urban races added to the schedule even if RA, MO and LS never return as long as the course layout can provide decent racing. The fans that turned out for Edmonton had no idea what they were in for, no idea if the track would yeild a decent race, lucky of them (and us) it did. Now, they will return, year after year.

I'm still a bit apprehensive that every street course can provide the intensity that was on display yesterday but if they do, watch out. :thumbup:

Steve nails it in one post.

NismoZ
07-18-05, 01:58 PM
EXACTLY...I'm not against street racing, I'm against CRAPPY street racing, and the track configuration is the key. I'm happy for Edmonton and HOPEFUL for San Jose, but I've voiced my displeasure with the length and layout of that one long ago. I hope the changes work. If 100,000 "fans" show up to a party and we get a dull parade, then count me 'disappointed.'

JT265
07-18-05, 02:00 PM
Steve nails it in one post.

Well a blind squirrel will happen upon an acorn every once in a while, right? :p

:rofl:

SteveH
07-18-05, 03:22 PM
^ stick around, you might learn something, grasshopper :laugh:

jonovision_man
07-18-05, 04:31 PM

Toronto was a pretty wild and entertaining race too. Key is having that long straight where the cars can stretch their legs, makes overtaking not only possible but likely. Wilson with the on-track pass for the win, superb stuff.

That's what made Miami so bloody dull, no good straights, and sllllooooowwww all the way around the circuit...

Edmonton has some nice high-speed corners, very few street races have that.

jono

oddlycalm
07-18-05, 05:18 PM
The Long Beach acquisition secured the future for that race. The Cosworth acquistition ensures stability for powering the cars. There is no doubt that Edmonton was a good new event. CCWS has turned the corner on the officiating problems that have been a drag on the last few seasons. Tony Cotman has the right approach and as Railbird would have said, has "let 'em race." Full course cautions now occur only out of necessity. The stated goals for the 2007 car specs are all in the right direction and staying with the turbos, but with a bit more power, is a good call also. Management is making sure that the young guys with the skills get a chance to show what they have and that the young teams are allowed to get experience. The slow trickle of sponsorship is increasing. I hope the broadcast production is a work in progress as that needs to improve in coming years.

What I see is an orderly approach and steady progress. This is how you build a strong foundation so that the business can floorish and it doesn't happen in the first or second years. When it does flourish I can see venues like RA and MO wanting back in for all the right reasons. No idea what a reasonable goal would be for that. I suspect 2006 will continue to build on a successful 2005 season with a big jump in interest after 2007 when the new cars are on the grid. The bottom line is that we are still very early in the turnaround, but CCWS is doing it by the numbers so far. Considering that they started with what amounted to a dead horse the above is pretty impressive. They are in control of their own destiny, not beholden to outside business interests.

oc

jonovision_man
07-18-05, 06:10 PM
Well put.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

I'm critical of the series at times, but in all fairness when you look at the situation they were dealing with in 2004 it's a miracle there's still a series to be critical about. To see some potential there now with what appears to be successful new races coming on board is gravy.

I'm excited about the prospects for the first time in many years. :thumbup:

jono

fourrunner
07-18-05, 06:27 PM
They are in control of their own destiny, not beholden to outside business interests.

oc

That is why I laughed at the thought of the Manfacturers "Forcing" a unification !

The only choice the Manufacturers like Honda have is to Walk Away... and that Only effects the IRL ... It has NO impact on Champ Car

Robert Clark is just pissing into the wind on that subject

The Three Amigo's are holding the cards ... Good, Smart Businessmen focused on their investment, and making sure all the right things happen !

oddlycalm
07-18-05, 07:19 PM
Robert Clark is just pissing into the wind on that subject

The Three Amigo's are holding the cards ... Good, Smart Businessmen focused on their investment, and making sure all the right things happen ! Honda is still talking with KK but not about unification according to KK. It would be ironic if it were Honda left without a seat when the music stops, and I'm sure that they don't want to be in that situation.

Another good sign to me is that the Three Amigos appear to be Two Amigos since Gentilozzi has been silenced. Nobody on the outside knows what this means, but my guess is that Gentilozzi's wire brush approach got old fast. It's unprofessional nonsense and not suitable for a series owner. Not only is he absent from any official commentary but his team is on the ropes this year. I would not be at all surprised to learn that his portion of the company had been purchased by one or both of the Two Amigos. My very uninformed take is that if Paul was in an ownership/management position we would still be hearing from him simply because he is incapable of shutting up and not tooting his own horn.

oc

FTG
07-18-05, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=oddlycalm It would be ironic if it were Honda left without a seat when the music stops[/QUOTE]

When you got $90 million, you can buy a chair.

coolhand
07-18-05, 07:37 PM
The Market will dictate if MO, Laguna and RA get back on.

The reason they are going to San jose, Edmonton, China, Korea is because PROMOTERS stepped up and put money upfront for Champ Car to race there.

If MO, RA or Laguna had a promoter who came to them offering them $X dollars to race there and agrees to promote to get X Fans to show up then Champ Car will go back there.

right now you will see more edmontons and San Joses until the track owners wake up at these other places.

fourrunner
07-18-05, 07:46 PM
Honda is still talking with KK but not about unification according to KK. It would be ironic if it were Honda left without a seat when the music stops, and I'm sure that they don't want to be in that situation.

Another good sign to me is that the Three Amigos appear to be Two Amigos since Gentilozzi has been silenced. Nobody on the outside knows what this means, but my guess is that Gentilozzi's wire brush approach got old fast. It's unprofessional nonsense and not suitable for a series owner. Not only is he absent from any official commentary but his team is on the ropes this year. I would not be at all surprised to learn that his portion of the company had been purchased by one or both of the Two Amigos. My very uninformed take is that if Paul was in an ownership/management position we would still be hearing from him simply because he is incapable of shutting up and not tooting his own horn.

oc

Robert Clarkes problem is that he can't remember which lie he told last week... He says that Honda "Was shown the door" by Champ Car, which is really just symantics to suit his needs of the conversation ... He assumes that the average listener doesn't remember what went down, and is to Lazy to look it up ... He's more a PR guy than a competent Manager !

Honda & Toyota's problem is that like the CART Teams that defected, they figured with every stab in the back CART would just disappear, and it never happened ... they wanted to "Get Even" for the slights to there Ego's ... Fernandez & Rahal & Letterman being the Uber Traitors, doing so just before the First Race of the Champ Car Era ... Rahal will forever be "Scum" ... fernandez is just Pathetic and a non entity

I think Robert Clarke is still dealing from those emotions that they want to save face (as you stated), but he still wants to get his "digs in" ... NO GOOD BUSINESS ENTITY survives dealing from emotion ... KK & Forsythe deal with business on a much higher & professional level outside of Racing ... and they bring that savvy into the Champ Car resurrection ... KK said just last week, that he doesn't do his business with the outcome being the demise of his competitor ... Something the Other side needs to try!

JT265
07-18-05, 08:00 PM
Well put.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

I'm critical of the series at times, but in all fairness when you look at the situation they were dealing with in 2004 it's a miracle there's still a series to be critical about. To see some potential there now with what appears to be successful new races coming on board is gravy.

I'm excited about the prospects for the first time in many years. :thumbup:

jono

GADZOOKS!!* :eek:

Should I make the call to Acme Fence to see what they would charge to pull that post outta your ass Jono? :rofl:

*I always wanted to use that word in a post.

cart7
07-18-05, 08:05 PM
That would be my hope, but ask yourself a question: Why should they?

If indeed this path is successful, why should they deviate? KK has said he is big on the street path. I haven't always been thrilled with that, but again, if it works, why change? And so far, so good. :thumbup:

Well, stupid me I guess, the series he bought came with much of the old fanbase and that fanbase has roots that attracted it to the series in the first place. I'm not talking about going to more ovals particularly but getting a few of the lost American road courses back on the schedule would do a lot to get me really invigorated back into the fold.

That said, I really felt some of the old fire I had lost for the series on Sunday. That track and race were very much needed. :thumbup:

Insomniac
07-18-05, 08:26 PM
Well, stupid me I guess, the series he bought came with much of the old fanbase and that fanbase has roots that attracted it to the series in the first place. I'm not talking about going to more ovals particularly but getting a few of the lost American road courses back on the schedule would do a lot to get me really invigorated back into the fold.

That said, I really felt some of the old fire I had lost for the series on Sunday. That track and race were very much needed. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, they need more than just you buying a ticket. ;)