PDA

View Full Version : Tony Stewart and fences

Lizzerd
07-17-05, 08:41 PM
One of the sports hacks interviewed Tony Stewart on local news this evening. I guess he won his race today and climbed the fence. Again. The talking head asked him about it and TS said that it was his thing, and anybody else who does it is just copying him.
Note to Tony: You didn't invent it. It originated in CART.

Then, there's the donuts after a race win.
Note to all NASCAR drivers: You didn't invent it. It originated in CART.

What's next? NASCAR invented oval racing?
Note to NASCAR: You didn't invent it. "Champ Cars" have been racing on ovals for nearly 100 years.

Discuss, if you wish...

fourrunner
07-17-05, 08:53 PM
Hey let them say they invented it ... It's obvious that CART did it better ...

I'm laughing at the site of Tony Stewarts Fat Ass Climbing Anything !!

If TONY STEWART did the first Donut, he was chasing Jeff Gordon after the Race trying to run him off the Road

Tony Stewart DID However invent the "Phsychotic Driver Act"

He also invented the 'Hide Behind Your Crew" while your calling out Robby Gordon , who would easily kick his Ass !!

Sean O'Gorman
07-17-05, 09:21 PM
Let him say it, it pisses off the IRL fans who do have the fence climber.

pchall
07-17-05, 09:46 PM
Then, there's the donuts after a race win.
Note to all NASCAR drivers: You didn't invent it. It originated in CART.

Just a brief historical note. The first donut I ever saw was done by John Morton (I think) in a BRE Datsun 510 after a win in the Tran Am under 2.5l class circa 71 or 72.

But your point is well taken. NASCAR appropriates everything for their own marketing purposes.

Steve99
07-17-05, 10:21 PM
Did they invent Danica too?

theunions
07-18-05, 01:49 AM
What's next? NASCAR invented oval racing?

NASCAR appropriates everything for their own marketing purposes.

Precisely. Just ask those responsible for the movie "Kart Racer." :mad:

And I thought Poster Boy immediately insisted on camera, after his first climb at the Pepsi 400, that he was "too fat" to do it again? He's as big a liar as Robert Clarke.

Stu
07-18-05, 08:31 AM
And I thought Poster Boy immediately insisted on camera, after his first climb at the Pepsi 400, that he was "too fat" to do it again? He's as big a liar as Robert Clarke.

Maybe he was joking.

Andrew Longman
07-18-05, 09:08 AM
Nascar (Kulwiki) did invent the Polish victory lap but sadly it seems to have been forgotten.

JohnHKart
07-18-05, 09:25 AM
Nascar (Kulwiki) did invent the Polish victory lap but sadly it seems to have been forgotten.

Allan Kulwicki.

dando
07-18-05, 10:09 AM
Only when one of the good old boyz win do they do they polish lap. IIRC, Rusty was the last to one. Maybe Mark Martin as well. Victories have sparse the past few years for that bunch.

-Kevin

pchall
07-18-05, 10:29 AM

Sadly so. :(

But remember that road racer Oscar Kovaleski #54 invented the real Pole Position by invariably qualifying last for Can Am races. ;)

Chief
07-18-05, 10:49 AM
But remember that road racer Oscar Kovaleski #54 invented the real Pole Position by invariably qualifying last for Can Am races. ;)

Not many even REMEMBER Oscar... :D

TKGAngel
07-18-05, 12:42 PM
I'm laughing at the site of Tony Stewarts Fat Ass Climbing Anything !!

Joe Gibbs must've been having a coronary when Tony climbed over the fence and into the starter's stand. How much longer before one of these yahoos gets hurt doing the fence climb? An engine can be replaced if it dies during a burnout, but a driver can't be replaced as easily because of a victory celebration accident.

And I will take Champcar donuts over a burnout any day.

Steve99
07-19-05, 08:10 PM
That fence didn't look like it was going to survive Tony climbing it. And that thing is supposed to keep the cars out of the stands?

What happens in the movie "Kart Racer"? I noticed it in the video store the other day.

RTKar
07-19-05, 11:33 PM
Lizzerd, Lizzerd, Lizzerd :shakehead ...NASCAR invented the combustion engine, the automobile, fried chicken and beer.

JohnnyQ
07-21-05, 11:10 PM
Electric fences anyone? I'd love to see smoke....smoke.

High Sided
07-22-05, 06:54 AM
i'm sorry but when i got into nascar rusty wallace won the champ and stompled his car saving his hood for his own collection then D.W. won the 500 and later dale sr. got taken out by a bird. now nascar is like going to the grocery store. same s**t. same place, week after week. :thumdown:

spinner26
07-22-05, 08:25 AM
Did they invent Danica too?

What is a danica?

TKGAngel
07-22-05, 08:27 AM
Lizzerd, Lizzerd, Lizzerd :shakehead ...NASCAR invented the combustion engine, the automobile, fried chicken and beer.

I thought the Canadians invented beer?

Don't forget that NASCAR also invented the SAFER wall and the HANS device. :rolleyes:

extramundane
07-22-05, 11:48 AM
I thought the Canadians invented beer?

Don't forget that NASCAR also invented the SAFER wall and the HANS device. :rolleyes:

And tearoffs too. Gosh, whatever would motorsports do if not for the technical advances of NASCAR?

gjc2
07-22-05, 05:26 PM
Tony Stewart raised the bar by climbing all the way to the top of the fence and then on to the flag stand. Next he'll have to climb to the top of the grand stands to thank his spotter.

George

Stu
07-22-05, 05:59 PM
the bitterness in this thread is amazing.

rabbit
07-22-05, 06:36 PM
Remember the guy who, after he won a race, would pull into victory lane, wave to the crowd, kiss the trophy girl, and then go home? THAT was cool. :cool:

pchall
07-22-05, 07:15 PM
Remember the guy who, after he won a race, would pull into victory lane, wave to the crowd, kiss the trophy girl, and then go home? THAT was cool. :cool:

Actually, NASCAR invented that too, but recently the trophy girl got skeered by the cola/sports drink sponsorship wars and display battery tosses and ran away. ;)

GOFAST1
07-22-05, 07:42 PM
Monkey see,monkey do! Quite frankly, the first time that was done in CART was really an expression of one's win, but copying monkey's climbing the fence, that's disgusting to watch, and it's pretty stupid. But then again, they copy everything...

Lizzerd
07-22-05, 11:52 PM
the bitterness in this thread is amazing.

It's not bitterness, Stu. I thinks it's all just an exposure of the power that NASCAR has influencing the general public's minds, the relative insignificance of OW racing in America compared to NASCAR, and our collective knowledge that NASCAR's manipulation of the general public's minds is all a farce.

TKGAngel
07-23-05, 03:47 PM
They mentioned on NASCAR qualies that Tony Stewart was told by the powers that be that if he wins, he should not climb the fence at Pocono, since its "not safe." Tony basically gave the officials a WTF? look and asked what kind of safety fence it is, if it can't hold the weight of a driver (let alone car debris).

pchall
07-23-05, 03:52 PM
It's not bitterness, Stu.

I'd call it disgust.