PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France: Sunday is the day

oddlycalm
07-16-05, 06:08 PM
The entire 2005 Tour has come down to Sunday's stage in the Pyrénées which has four category 1 climbs in succession followed by a brutal uncatagorized monster climb to the finish. Even if you don't watch any other stage of the race, Sunday's is the one to see. It's Armstrong's last day of his career in the high mountains and it will also probably decide who wins this years Tour.

It's been an incredibly fast paced tour which has put many riders into difficulty with a couple of the early yellow jersey wearers being forced out of the race including one wearing the green jersey as well as one wearing the white. Armstrong attacked in the Alps on Stage 10 and took time on almost everyone but today T Mobile attacked early and hard with three riders. Armstrong survived and even took time on all the challengers but it remains to be seen who among the top riders will bounce back the best after todays incredible climbing pace.

oc

cart7
07-16-05, 09:37 PM
I've been watching and will be the first to admit I have no idea how the strategy in these races work. My wife has some cycling friends who race around here regionally, I guess I'll have to ask them sometime.

Amazing stamina those guys have got. I'd be humpin it on the flat sections let alone trying to climb a mountain. :eek:

Megger
07-16-05, 09:41 PM
This will be an exciting stage. I can't wait to watch it. I really hope Lance wins.

RacinM3
07-16-05, 11:02 PM
oc, I agree that tomorrow is THE stage and agree with everything you said, except the Armstrong "survived" stage 14. They attacked, and he stayed with them and took time out of them to boot, even with zero team support. Survived? No. Made it look somewhat easy? Yes. Barring a crash, the tour is his.

Also < Armstrong has an emotional reason to do well tomorrow.

dando
07-17-05, 11:18 AM
Vive Le Lance!

Great victory by the Discovery Team!

:thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Fio1
07-17-05, 05:30 PM
The great thing is the way no one wanted to attack Lance yesterday. He intemedates the others so much, that they ar eaffraid to attack, knowing that he will counter and leave them all behind. Basso is the only one that can stay with him. I hope he wins it next year.

Wheel-Nut
07-18-05, 09:58 AM
Way to go Georgie!! :thumbup:

RichK
07-18-05, 11:43 AM
Way to go Georgie!! :thumbup:

:thumbup:
When Hincapie started out, he was a pure sprinter....winning criteriums left and right on the East Coast. He even went to Europe as a sprinter and was always in the mix with the big boys, but never quite in the top three or so. To see his transformation into a great climber has been amazing.

oddlycalm
07-18-05, 02:40 PM
:thumbup:
When Hincapie started out, he was a pure sprinter....winning criteriums left and right on the East Coast. He even went to Europe as a sprinter and was always in the mix with the big boys, but never quite in the top three or so. To see his transformation into a great climber has been amazing. Absolutely, and what an amazing result. I was really pleased to see George get a stage win, particularly that stage win with five serious climbs in succession. Man, talk about making a statement.... :thumbup:

BTW, did you guys see the idiot fan get T boned by the camera motorcycle? What a tewl... :shakehead

oc

RichK
07-18-05, 03:37 PM
BTW, did you guys see the idiot fan get T boned by the camera motorcycle? What a tewl... :shakehead

oc

Yeah, my brake hand twitched when I saw it coming on the replay! :laugh:

I was suprised the moto rider kept it vertical with his passenger hanging off and an idiot under his front wheel.

IlliniRacer
07-18-05, 04:17 PM
http://velonews.com/images/details/8527.12006.f.jpg
http://velonews.com/images/details/8527.12005.f.jpg

cart7
07-23-05, 02:18 PM
congrats to Lance on his 1st stage win!! That guy is un-friggenbelievable!! :cool: :thumbup:

oddlycalm
07-23-05, 08:31 PM
congrats to Lance on his 1st stage win!! That guy is un-friggenbelievable!! :cool: :thumbup: Indeed, and tour win as well. This year was total domination and he was never once put into difficulty.

Those that correctly pointed out that Rasmussen is not a time trialer get themselves the Understatement Of The Month award. For anyone not familiar with why people say time trial bikes are scary, Rasmussen executed a perfect demonstration today by going down twice and breaking another couple bikes. He has done a great bit in the mountains however and deserves the KOM win. :thumbup:

oc

RichK
07-23-05, 08:41 PM
I'm happy for Lance and sad to see him go. Next year's Tour should be a great race, but it will be strange knowing that somewhere in the world, there is a guy still capable of crushing everyone in the 2006 peloton.

EDwardo
07-23-05, 11:43 PM
I saw a segment earlier today with Lance where he was discussing getting hit in the face with loogies from roadside detractors. He said it added incentive for him to smoke some competitors. I'm sure that as he sees it, no matter who the spitters were supporting, Lance knows he is beating them. Of course he is too professional to stop and beat the crap out of some morons.

RacinM3
07-23-05, 11:44 PM
http://velonews.com/images/details/8527.12005.f.jpg

Tourwned

Insomniac
07-24-05, 11:13 AM
Congratulations Lance!