PDA

View Full Version : A Lola question

cameraman
07-16-05, 02:39 PM
Is Lola still making (or do they have a stock of) new tubs for the current CCWS specs? In theory they will only be used for one more year but if another team or two were to join Champ Car next year are there enough chassis out there (in good condition) to stock the teams? Not to mention that some of the current cars have smacked the walls many, many times, I figure that has to take a toll eventually.

Insomniac
07-16-05, 02:52 PM
Is Lola still making (or do they have a stock of) new tubs for the current CCWS specs? In theory they will only be used for one more year but if another team or two were to join Champ Car next year are there enough chassis out there (in good condition) to stock the teams? Not to mention that some of the current cars have smacked the walls many, many times, I figure that has to take a toll eventually.

I'm sure Lola could make them if they need to or are asked. I doubt they just keep making them and hope someone needs them.

KLang
07-16-05, 02:59 PM
I read somewhere recently (crapwagon?) that NH still buys new cars every year. If true I would imagine they sell the old ones to other teams.

Sean O'Gorman
07-16-05, 03:01 PM
I can't imagine that Newman-Haas pays too much for its Lolas in the first place...

pchall
07-17-05, 10:57 AM
... Not to mention that some of the current cars have smacked the walls many, many times, I figure that has to take a toll eventually.

In an afternoon visit to what was my neighborhood champ car team at one time, I was told that the useful life of the tub could be three seasons if it was not wrecked heavily or repeatedly. The way the drivers are beating up the cars this season must qualify as "heavily and repeatedly." ;)

There has to be a new chassis for 2007 or most of the cars in the field will be Flexible Flyer's like RHR's Rocketsports ride earlier this season. As you might recall, RHR said that tub had quite a "history" and was moved into what was Glock's backup car.

cameraman
07-18-05, 01:19 AM
They said during the Edmonton coverage that Dominguez' tub was damaged beyond repair when he hit Allmendinger in Toronto.

So does Forsythe order a new one from England or does he have enough from his three car team days to cover the gap.

Dr. Corkski
07-18-05, 02:56 AM
They said during the Edmonton coverage that Dominguez' tub was damaged beyond repair when he hit Allmendinger in Toronto.

So does Forsythe order a new one from England or does he have enough from his three car team days to cover the gap.He probably gave Carl Haas a call.

coolhand
07-18-05, 04:03 AM
3x2=6 plus a couple spares. Forythe is fine for tubes.

N/H always buys new ones.

I heard that PKV rounded up the Fernadez ones and has close to 9 laying around.

Rusport has plenty.

Coyne knows how to get by.

Mi-Jack still brings a Reynard to the track. They got one of the old rahal ones

HVM had pleny untill Wirdheim came along.

Team Oz is building an inventory.

Rocketsports is probably saving money or does not ahve it.

Tubs ARE available to buy and the rich teams have new ones.

its the teams with less money who are less inclined to invest in more with new specs comming out soon.

toymaker
07-18-05, 01:49 PM
So what happens to the old tub??? I mean I would be happy to come pick it up and use it to hook up my racing video game system into it. :D

JT265
07-18-05, 01:55 PM
So what happens to the old tub??? I mean I would be happy to come pick it up and use it to hook up my racing video game system into it. :D

Show car, classy chassis decoration, club racers buy 'em. If you have enuff coin, you too can have a $35,000 seat for your video system. :D

devilmaster
07-18-05, 03:21 PM
For your used tub needs, there are a few places to go looking....

The one i know about is http://www.racecarsdirect.com

I'm sure the others can drop some names also....

pferrf1
07-19-05, 02:37 PM
Team OZ needs to build up the inventory quicker.

Tagliani made the comment this weekend that he holds back in Qualifying because his backup car is a Reynard and he doesn't want to have ot use it.

Dr. Corkski
07-19-05, 03:04 PM
Team OZ needs to build up the inventory quicker.

Tagliani made the comment this weekend that he holds back in Qualifying because his backup car is a Reynard and he doesn't want to have ot use it.They can't afford it, not when the only real sponsors they have are associate-level sponsors.

KLang
07-19-05, 03:09 PM
They can't afford it, not when the only real sponsors they have are associate-level sponsors.

How do you know how much Aussie Vinyards is paying Walker?

Dr. Corkski
07-19-05, 03:53 PM
How do you know how much Aussie Vinyards is paying Walker?You sort of get the idea when their lead driver doesn't even have his own engineer and their backup chassis are old Reynards.

coolhand
07-19-05, 04:22 PM
But they have a snazzie paint job :eek:

but seriously, I dont think Team Oz is hurting that bad for money, Craig Gore is putting enough up for them to get by and it does not look like they are scanning the US for sponsors.
I thought they had 1 lola back up at the track and a reynard incase they both eff-up.

same goes for Mi-jack

Steve99
07-20-05, 01:56 PM
If Marcus Marshall were using a Reynard would he be any slower?

gjc2
07-20-05, 05:56 PM
Has there ever been a time in professional motorsports where teams got so much value out of their equipment?

George

RTKar
07-20-05, 06:04 PM
Has there ever been a time in professional motorsports where teams got so much value out of their equipment?

George

The old roadsters were hammered together, tweaked and modified year after year. For instance the car Vukovich died in was rebuilt and raced the next year. PJ's "Old Calhoun" was used awhile....Bird would be all over this thread :( , maybe Ziggy can add some better info.

oddlycalm
07-21-05, 05:09 PM
The old roadsters were hammered together, tweaked and modified year after year. Very true, and of course that's what killed them as well. No development year after year equaled getting their butts handed to them by Colin Chapman, Bruce McLaren and the other formula car builders that were racing and developing year round in F1, F2, Tasman and South African series. More development happened at Lotus and McLaren in month than was happening with the roadsters in a decade which doomed them. That's down to the core problem of one big race dominating the scene in the US.

CCWS is right to be looking at some serious changes in 2007. The Lola is a good sled but it's getting long in the tooth.

oc

FCYTravis
07-23-05, 01:19 AM
Well, there's another series that's trying that same tack... equipment longevity for stability. <grin>

Easy
07-25-05, 12:54 PM
Well, there's another series that's trying that same tack... equipment longevity for stability. <grin>

Is it run by Primus?

FCYTravis
07-25-05, 10:35 PM
Last I heard, F2000 wanted to go carbon tub in 07. :shakehead