PDA

View Full Version : Panther looking to another series in 2006?

pchall
07-16-05, 06:34 AM
Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/2005/motorsports/0507/16/sport-249803.htm)

Panther, an Indianapolis-based team, has won two championships and a series-high 15 races in eight IRL seasons, but it has issues to resolve. It doesn't have a primary sponsor or an engine partner lined up for 2006...

Barnes said it will be September before Panther's plans come into focus, but it's clear that one of the IRL's oldest teams is considering different roads.

Barnes confirmed a recent meeting with Champ Car World Series officials about joining that series. Members of his organization also have spoken with officials from NASCAR and the Grand American Road Racing series, he said.

Barnes and his partners are Indy stalwarts, which makes their inquiries into other series all the more interesting. I doubt that Panther is on Honda's list and they would probably be stuck leasing Toyotas from the same shelf that Foyt and Tony George get theirs. Unless the major manufacturer branding rule gets waived, they are most likely reduced to being an Indy only effort in 2006 unless they find a place in another series.

Tony's Vision™ is myopic.

cart7
07-16-05, 07:12 AM
Probably the only legitimate earl team and now they're forced to look outside.
:shakehead
Things don't look so rosey in Tonyland.

spinner26
07-16-05, 09:55 AM
I'd have Wreckter and Enge. I think they'd both do well. :thumbup:

DagoFast
07-16-05, 10:00 AM
Remain calm. All is well.

pchall
07-16-05, 12:15 PM
I'd have Wreckter and Enge. I think they'd both do well. :thumbup:

I've heard that both Sheckter and Enge has spent time in Europe recently checking out roadracing opportunities. I'd like it if CCWS teams looked at them seriously because of their pre-IRL backgrounds.

As for Barnes, his Indiotcentricity makes a move to Champ Cars problematic. He'd probably join with Haas to keep two weekends in May open to wreck his drivers backs.

cart7
07-16-05, 05:15 PM
They're trying to wish it away over at TF. Personally, I'd want to know when the car I was riding in was about to go off a cliff.

oddlycalm
07-16-05, 05:42 PM
Panther may be the first to feel the pain but their pain will be minor compared to the fat "super teams" when the money from Toyota and Honda dries up. The process is really gonna break my heart.... :D

oc

eiregosod
07-16-05, 07:44 PM

:laugh:

Rocketdoc
07-16-05, 07:54 PM

And hey...straighten those deck chairs....

Jervis Tetch 1
07-17-05, 01:45 AM
They're trying to wish it away over at TF. Personally, I'd want to know when the car I was riding in was about to go off a cliff.Yeah, they really have their panties all knotted up over this one. :rofl:

spinner26
07-17-05, 10:43 AM
From what I've read this morning Enge is gonna be out a while with L-1 and L-2 fractures from a wreck in one of the safest back breakers around. :shakehead

When will these people ever learn?

Jag_Warrior
07-18-05, 10:51 AM
Panther may be the first to feel the pain but their pain will be minor compared to the fat "super teams" when the money from Toyota and Honda dries up. The process is really gonna break my heart.... :D

oc

Excellent point. That's the part that I don't get. Every IRL fan always brings up but Tony can get us engines - and I don't doubt that someone will provide engines. I don't think that's the problem. Every engine builder that I know of wants money for their engines. If that's not true, then I'd like to know, cause I have a wish list and a couple of free high performance engines would be a nice Christmas gift.

Even with free engines, Dashley, Tony and the other boys & girls of the IRL would probably still like to get paid. I can't get an IRL fan to come up with an idea as to where that money is going to come from.

FTG
07-18-05, 11:17 AM
I can't get an IRL fan to come up with an idea as to where that money is going to come from.

Tony. But I don't think he can afford Mr. Judd. Look for more racing dentists in the "greatest spectacle."

trauma1
07-18-05, 11:42 AM
i'm not going to be surprised if some one doesn't make the jump next year, and in 2007 alot come back,

Audi_A4
07-19-05, 10:10 PM
another site has this in their rumor section.

extramundane
07-19-05, 10:18 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8328

nrc
07-19-05, 11:10 PM
Cool. You can move a thread and merge it with another and it still keeps the redirect working. :thumbup:

Anyway, my view is that Davis is just fishing for Tony bucks.

Fio1
07-20-05, 02:02 AM
It would be nice to see Tomas Enge and Thomas Scheckter in Champcars. For Enge's sake, I hope he gets out of IRL soon, he is getting tweeked in that series..... :rolleyes:

Grand-Am DP is more cost effective then Champcars, but I doubt Scheckter would stick around for that. I still hope it's champcars.

Winston Wolfe
07-20-05, 02:12 AM
I'm with Fio on this one... Scheckter and even Panther for that matter would be an interesting and welcomed addition, as long as they brought sponsor dollars and kept racing folks employed in the business...

I say bring 'em on....

Another interesting development would be the global warming eminating from the 'Istas over at TF.... talk about a meltdown of epic and volcanic proportions !!!! Oh lawdy, lawdy, lawdy ! :cry:

trauma1
07-20-05, 08:04 AM
just a hunch , but i see at least one earl team leaving and i amy opem the flood gates, maybe not panther, FTG will open up the check book to keep them, when the yen welfare checks leave i do agree that the hardest to fall will be FMA and the fonda teams, chip i think i as good as gone , he's been awful quiet this year and nascar is more on his radar than earl, i don't see target back in earl next year. underacheeber time with red bull is probably limited also, and they'll pour thier $$ in the F1 program. Pennzoil bailing is a big hit for earl

JLMannin
07-20-05, 01:06 PM
Anyway, my view is that Davis is just fishing for Tony bucks.

Yep. It worked for Hemmelgarn.

Insomniac
07-20-05, 01:59 PM
just a hunch , but i see at least one earl team leaving and i amy opem the flood gates, maybe not panther, FTG will open up the check book to keep them, when the yen welfare checks leave i do agree that the hardest to fall will be FMA and the fonda teams, chip i think i as good as gone , he's been awful quiet this year and nascar is more on his radar than earl, i don't see target back in earl next year. underacheeber time with red bull is probably limited also, and they'll pour thier $$ in the F1 program. Pennzoil bailing is a big hit for earl

Red Bull and the IRL (and Cheever). I still don't get that.

Fio1
07-21-05, 12:41 AM
Red Bull and the IRL (and Cheever). I still don't get that.

What don't you get? :rolleyes: You need to drink a Red Bull to stay awake during an IRL race on TV..... :cool:

trauma1
07-22-05, 11:28 AM
here's some more info from racer, it sounds credible that they are bailing

Panther Could Field Champ Car Team in '06
Written by: RACER staff
Irvine, Calif. – 7/22/2005 Panther's sponsors are believed to be interested in both open-wheel series for 2006. (LAT Photo)

The rumors of a possible entry by IRL regulars Panther Racing in the Champ Car World Series next year have resurfaced this week, as team co-owner Doug Bowles admitted to Autosport magazine that the squad has been in talks with Champ Car co-owners Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerry Forsythe.

At first that wouldn’t necessarily mean the beginning of a relationship between Panther and Champ Car, since Kalkhoven and Forsythe own Cosworth, the suppliers of Panther’s Chevy-badged IndyCar engine.

"We wanted to create a relationship with Kevin (Kalkhoven) and Gerry (Forsythe) since we're carrying their flag in the IRL with the Cosworth," Bowles stated.

The novelty factor comes from Bowles’ revelation that potential ‘06 sponsors for the team - reportedly current backers Pennzoil among them - want the squad to consider a Champ Car program for next season.

"Some of the potential sponsors we've been talking to also wanted us to look at both series," he added.

Panther Racing is the only IRL team campaigning Chevrolet power plants this year, and unless Cosworth finds a new manufacturer to badge its Indy units in 2006 - it is believed to be in talks with Hyundai for that purpose - the outfit could be left without an engine supplier, since the bow-tie brand has announced its withdrawal from IRL competition by this season’s end.

KLang
07-22-05, 11:44 AM
Penzoil? interesting....

As long as they leave the kool-aid back at the shop, I'll say 'Welcome to Champ Car'.

trauma1
07-22-05, 12:28 PM
by the way the meltdown at crackfoum as already started on this, thier going ape sh#t

KLang
07-22-05, 12:35 PM
Wilke says it won't happen. So I guess that is that.

:rofl:

JLMannin
07-22-05, 12:40 PM
A re-enactment of the phone conservation:

BOWLES - "Penzoil is leaving us when Chevy bails at the end of the year, and we have no $$ lined up to field a team next year. I don't know if Penzoil is going to Champcar or ALMS or what - I just know that they are leaving us. We could really use some TonyBucks next year. Can you run an item in Racer indicationg that we may follow Penzoil to Champcar?"

RACER STAFF - "Can't you have your guys all put on yellow polo shirts and take a picture standing next to a yellow Lola and post the picture on the internet? That's all it took for Ron [Hemmergarn] to get Hulmanfare."

BOWLES - "The problem is finding a yellow Lola to stand next to. Rahal has some old Lolas in his shop, but he wanted like 10,000 to paint one yellow, and we just don't have that kind of money right now. Can you just run a short blurb and create some buzz for us?"

RACER STAFF - "Consider it done. We're the 'print media partner', you know!"

trauma1
07-22-05, 01:09 PM
well not only from racer thier partner also autosport, i really doubted this at 21st but this is picking up steam and it's coming out of panther, not good FTG

Panther Eye Champ Car Switch

Friday, 22 July 2005 11:48

Former Indy Racing League championship-winning team Panther are in talks about making a high-profile defection to Champ Cars, according to a report in this week's Autosport magazine.

The team's sponsor Pennzoil is believed to be keen to make a return to Champ Cars after eight years in the IRL, and senior figures from the outfit are believed to have held talks with Champ Car president Dick Eidswick.

Panther Motorsport co-owner Doug Bowles told Autosport: "We've got a lot of unanswered questions, the first being what's our engine situation going to look like.

"We wanted to create a relationship with Kevin (Kalkhoven) and Gerry (Forsythe) since we're carrying their flag in the IRL with the Cosworth."

There is a possibility of the team fielding entries in both the IRL and Champ Cars next year.

"Some of the potential sponsors we've been talking to also wanted us to look at both series."

Wally
07-22-05, 01:39 PM
Wilke says it won't happen. So I guess that is that.

:rofl:

Whats a wilke? :gomer:

RacinM3
07-22-05, 01:56 PM
The team's sponsor Pennzoil is believed to be keen to make a return to Champ Cars after eight years in the IRL, and senior figures from the outfit are believed to have held talks with Champ Car president Dick Eidswick.

Panther shmanther. I want to know the thought process behind the above quote more than anything else.

G.
07-22-05, 02:08 PM
Panther shmanther. I want to know the thought process behind the above quote more than anything else.
senior figures from the outfit They got an offer they couldn't refuse?

rabbit
07-22-05, 02:16 PM
"We wanted to create a relationship with Kevin (Kalkhoven) and Gerry (Forsythe) since we're carrying their flag in the IRL with the Cosworth."And some people questioned Cosworth's IRL participation...

sundaydriver2
07-22-05, 02:45 PM
KK could be the enviable position of offering all the Earl teams a deal to come over to Champ Car.

This in turn could be very costly to FTG. ;)

Winston Wolfe
07-22-05, 07:57 PM

Who is the "Official" oil \ lubricant sponsor for the CCWS ?

Do you think Pennzoil could be the "Official" motor oil supplier to CCWS for one heck of a lot less than they could sponsoring a WHOLE CAR in EARL ?
Plus they get North American \ Korean \ Aussie visibility ?

Just guessing, folks !

cameraman
07-22-05, 08:16 PM
Who is the "Official" oil \ lubricant sponsor for the CCWS ?

Do you think Pennzoil could be the "Official" motor oil supplier to CCWS for one heck of a lot less than they could sponsoring a WHOLE CAR in EARL ?
Plus they get North American \ Korean \ Aussie visibility ?

Just guessing, folks !

Roshfrans is the "Official Lubricant" of the CCWS.
They are clearly getting their money's worth in your case :rolleyes:

Winston Wolfe
07-22-05, 10:10 PM
Roshfrans is the "Official Lubricant" of the CCWS.
They are clearly getting their money's worth in your case :rolleyes:

I should've know that... DOH !

I got SeaBass' Roshfrans hat from the Winner's Circle celebrations at LBGP...

I thought they were the FUEL supplier.... not the "Official Lube" guys for CCWS.

My bad.