PDA

View Full Version : temp files

TravelGal
07-15-05, 01:43 PM
Does anyone (Dando?) know if it's safe to delete all "temp" files? I don't mean temp internet files. Those go away with disc cleanup. These are found under the "local settings" folder and not all even have a .temp extension but they are in a "temp" folder.

TIA.

Wabbit
07-15-05, 01:53 PM
Yup it is safe.

dando
07-15-05, 02:25 PM
Does anyone (Dando?) know if it's safe to delete all "temp" files? I don't mean temp internet files. Those go away with disc cleanup. These are found under the "local settings" folder and not all even have a .temp extension but they are in a "temp" folder.

TIA.
Like Wabbit said, go ahead and clean 'em up. Temp files are sometimes created by installation programs to install applications. A good install routine should clean them up. Applications like Word and Excel create them as well when documents are opened.

-Kevin

TravelGal
07-15-05, 02:29 PM
Like Wabbit said, go ahead and clean 'em up. Temp files are sometimes created by installation programs to install applications. A good install routine should clean them up. Applications like Word and Excel create them as well when documents are opened.

-Kevin

I notice that they appear mostly when I download a document that will go into Word or Excel. Is that what you mean? Also I happened to see on TravelGuy's computer "Office Update." So that went there before it was actually installed, right?

Thanks for your help guys. I'm definitely only midway between goof and geek when it comes to this stuff so I need assistance pretty often.

dando
07-15-05, 02:34 PM
I notice that they appear mostly when I download a document that will go into Word or Excel. Is that what you mean? Also I happened to see on TravelGuy's computer "Office Update." So that went there before it was actually installed, right?

Thanks for your help guys. I'm definitely only midway between goof and geek when it comes to this stuff so I need assistance pretty often.
Yup. np. I was a customer service rep in a former life. Now I just do mom support. :)

-Kevin

JohnHKart
07-15-05, 06:12 PM
I've started deleting most of them lately...as my printer wasn't working right, because of too many temp files. No more problem with this. I can delete all the files and folders in TEmp?

John

dando
07-15-05, 06:20 PM
I've started deleting most of them lately...as my printer wasn't working right, because of too many temp files. No more problem with this. I can delete all the files and folders in TEmp?

John
Yup. They are just temporary files to hold info in memory, or to stage the files for installation. Apps that use them should clean them up on their own, but some software isn't well developed, or if a program crashes, the temp files are leftover.

Note, if you are using XP, IE stores some files in the temp folder that IE uses for caching. You may want to keep the cookies and temporary internet files folders.

-Kevin

redmist
07-15-05, 07:44 PM
http://www.ccleaner.com/
here is a little program i use for getting rid of stuff like that.