PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps Problem

TedN
07-15-05, 12:46 PM
I am having a problem with Google Maps that just started recently. I am using Win98SE and IE5.5

When I enter an address, the map is missing the slider to zoom in and zoom out. In addition, the satellite link is also missing.

This application worked fine for me for the longest time. The only thing I can recall doing recently that "might" have an implication is that I ran WinCleaner.

As a further test, today I downloaded and installed Firefox. Google Maps runs fine with that browser.

Any idea what is happening and how to fix? I would prefer to stay with IE.

This snapshot is the application NOT working - IE5

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/TedN/google_maps_IE5.jpg

This snapshot is the application working fine - Firefox

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/TedN/google_maps_firefox.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Ted

G.
07-15-05, 01:35 PM
reboot? Fixes lots of stupid crap on my machine.

dando
07-15-05, 01:37 PM
Odd. The layer is missing. You might check your IE settings to make sure JS is enabled. The layer functions are handled through JS. Is there a script error or other notification on the status bar @ the bottom of the browser? Otherwise, I suggest installing IE 6 unless you can find IE 5.5 to re-install it.

Alternatively, don't do IE. :) I only use IE these daze for sites that use CraptiveX controls, which are few and far between these daze.

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-15-05, 03:41 PM
I'd think the solution is simple, use FireFox. :)

Anything else I'd recommend would be lowering all the security and turning everything on, but that's not the best idea long term.

CARTNUT
07-16-05, 03:58 PM
Wierd!

My laptop running XP has the Zoom tool, but my Desktop w/98se does not. Both are running IE6.0. On the Desktop, I just use the "-" & "+" keys to zoom.
As far as the Sat link, I don't know about yours, but it's on both of mine.

Now if someone can help me link my Wireless laptop (XP) to my network Westell Versalink wireless router thru my desktop (98se) that would be cool!

'NUT :gomer:

dando
07-16-05, 07:39 PM
Now if someone can help me link my Wireless laptop (XP) to my network Westell Versalink wireless router thru my desktop (98se) that would be cool!

Are you trying to connect the two PCs to share files and printers, or just to get the laptop to sniff the WiFi properly? XP Home doesn't have the home networking features that XP Pro has, so that could be part of the problem. I had XP Pro (laptop) and 98SE (desktop) setup and sharing files just fine. I've since switched the desktop to XP Pro as well. XP Pro has a nice little utility for creating a network setup disk to configure 98 machines for home networking. I don't think XP Home has that feature. Is the router connected directly to the desktop?

-Kevin

CARTNUT
07-17-05, 01:10 PM
Are you trying to connect the two PCs to share files and printers, or just to get the laptop to sniff the WiFi properly? XP Home doesn't have the home networking features that XP Pro has, so that could be part of the problem. I had XP Pro (laptop) and 98SE (desktop) setup and sharing files just fine. I've since switched the desktop to XP Pro as well. XP Pro has a nice little utility for creating a network setup disk to configure 98 machines for home networking. I don't think XP Home has that feature. Is the router connected directly to the desktop?

-Kevin

Just trying to get it to sniff. There is a tutorial on my broadband provider's website for the process, but the steps don't apply exactly as it comes up and they are very lengthy and I just don't freakin' understand all of it. Really, it's way more frustrating than it's worth and I'm considering just buying a new PC.
Unless someone can convince me it's worth it to upgrade my 6 year old Presario 5000. (I doubt it.)

'NUT :confused:

dando
07-19-05, 06:27 PM
Just trying to get it to sniff. There is a tutorial on my broadband provider's website for the process, but the steps don't apply exactly as it comes up and they are very lengthy and I just don't freakin' understand all of it. Really, it's way more frustrating than it's worth and I'm considering just buying a new PC.
Unless someone can convince me it's worth it to upgrade my 6 year old Presario 5000. (I doubt it.)

'NUT :confused:
Odd. Usually detecting the WiFi is the easy part. Make sure the WiFi is enabled through your router's admin page @ IP address 192.168.0.1. I'm not familiar with your brand of router, so the admin screens will vary from my Netgear router. You also need to make sure that the wireless card in enabled in your notebook (I assume you must have an integrated Intel card). I'v found this site very helpful in solving Windows network issues:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/

Netgear support recommended it to help solving sharing issues I was having ~3 years ago.

PCs are so cheap these daze, it's hard to justify upgrading a 6 year old PC. I'm assuming it will need RAM and a new HD, etc., which will run a few $100. I just got a screamer P4 3.0 w/1GB RAM, 160GB HD, DVD RW, CDRW, and XP Pro for just over $500 through the Dell Outlet. I was @ the same impasse...needed to upgrade a 5 year old Win 98SE machine.

-Kevin

CARTNUT
07-19-05, 10:37 PM
Don't laugh too hard!

I happened to be paging thru the little book that came with the laptop and there was this separate half sheet of paper with instructions on how to "TURN ON THE WIRELESS SWITCH!" Can you freakin' believe that?
So I turn it on (by pressing/holding Fn and F2 keys) and voila,
FOUR wireless networks are within range.

How stupid is that? :o

Anyway, I am now wireless/DSL capable! 'Bout time huh? :D

Thanks for the help anyway!

'NUT :gomer: