PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 asks the fans on two new qual proposals....

devilmaster
07-14-05, 04:59 PM
guess where i read it? :laugh:

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=130349

TSN.ca Staff

7/14/2005 4:46:55 PM

The qualifying format in Formula One is set to change once again in 2006 but this time fans will have a say in what the new procedure will look like.

On the heels of a recent FIA survey which showed 70 percent of fans would like to see a return to the old hour long format, officials have put forth two new proposals for qualifying.

Under the first proposal, teams would run two, 25-minute qualifying halves with a 10 minute break between sessions. Drivers will be allowed to run as many laps as they want but must set a time in each session. The times from each session would then be added together to produce a final qualifying time. There would also be no restrictions on fuel with cars allowed to refuel during and after qualifying.

The second proposal would be one hour in length with the five slowest cars eliminated from further qualifying after 15 minutes. They would be seeded 16th to 20th on the grid. After 30 minutes, the five slowest cars would be eliminated again, giving them positions 11 through 15 on the grid. Over the final 30 minutes, the remaining 10 cars would compete for the top 10 spots on the grid based on fastest time. Times from the two previous 15 minutes sessions would not be carried over to any other session. Drivers would be allowed to run as many laps as they want in each session with no fuel restrictions.

Each proposal would guarantee that all cars are out on the track throughout the hour long qualifying periods, eliminating the "dead time" at the beginning of the session which existed under previous formats.

To vote, click on http://www.formula1.com/news/3312.html

dirtyboy
07-14-05, 05:55 PM
I voted for number two.

Gnam
07-14-05, 06:02 PM
I liked the Friday Low Fuel runs, that way you could see who had the goods. But I didn't like the aggregate times 'cause it was confusing watching the sector times and seeing three minute times.

Proposal 2 is kinda gimicky, but it's the closest to those Low Fuel Friday sessions.

Dirty Sanchez
07-14-05, 06:27 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=130349I agree 100% :laugh:

cameraman
07-14-05, 06:37 PM
Proposal #2 would be good for Champ car too.

Less whining about "backmarkers ruining my run"

Insomniac
07-14-05, 07:56 PM
I like Proposal 2. It will reduce traffic as the session goes on for faster cars.

extramundane
07-14-05, 08:35 PM
I propose an hourlong session with the fastest driver getting a free swing at Max Mosley. If that doesn't have everyone pushing as hard as possible...

Cam
07-14-05, 10:13 PM
I propose an hourlong session with the fastest driver getting a free swing at Max Mosley. If that doesn't have everyone pushing as hard as possible...

Or how about the fastest driver gets to put in a bunch more quick laps, while Max runs around the circuit dressed as a mad placard waving Irish priest? :D