PDA

View Full Version : Coyne - ANOTHER switch

jonovision_man
07-14-05, 11:19 AM
Next year - penalize teams for this rotating driver stuff, it's getting ridiculous.

From Atlas/Autosport:

Dalziel confirmed to his official website that he has not been asked back for this weekend. The move could signal the return to Champ Car for Dane Ronnie Bremer, who was replaced at HVM Racing last weekend by Alex Sperafico after sponsorship woes.

jono

Don Quixote
07-14-05, 11:51 AM
Next year - penalize teams for this rotating driver stuff, it's getting ridiculous.

I don't like the driver instability either, but penalizing Dale Coyne, and not letting him do what he does, would likely result in less cars. Also, more importantly, his loyalty to the series has been second to none, and I respect him for that, and would like to keep him around. JMO.

swift
07-14-05, 11:54 AM
i'll take a rotating stable of worthy drivers (servia, valiente, ryan d., bremer) over geoff boss 24/7.

Ed_Severson
07-14-05, 12:04 PM
It's a wonder that he isn't more successful. :shakehead

I'm sure the engineering staff is just thrilled with all the long-term relationships they've had with drivers over the years. At least this way, they don't have to bother learning about how the driver likes the setup, because Dale will just can his ass and hire somebody else next weekend.

JLMannin
07-14-05, 12:06 PM
Paul Tracy's first race was a one-off with Coyne. I agree 100% with what D-Q said in regards to Coyne's loyalty to CART/Champcar. As long as Coyne doesn't sell a seat to Charlie Nearburg type talent, leave him alone.

cameraman
07-14-05, 12:17 PM
'm sure the engineering staff is just thrilled with all the long-term relationships they've had with drivers over the years.

What engineering staff?

jonovision_man
07-14-05, 12:19 PM
It's a wonder that he isn't more successful. :shakehead

I'm sure the engineering staff is just thrilled with all the long-term relationships they've had with drivers over the years. At least this way, they don't have to bother learning about how the driver likes the setup, because Dale will just can his ass and hire somebody else next weekend.

I agree, it's completely unprofessional.

I can see replacing a driver. Doing it twice, even.

But this is the 5th driver switch in that car already, and it may not be the last!

jono

Insomniac
07-14-05, 12:20 PM

From Atlas/Autosport:

jono

He wasn't the one who removed Servia from the car.

Insomniac
07-14-05, 12:22 PM
Probably putting Bremer back in for the season since he said he came up with the money last week (too late for Toronto).

coolhand
07-14-05, 12:23 PM
Every series has its Minardi and Coyne. They serve their purpose. I would still like to see coyne with proper funding (you would think he could have figured it out after 20 years) but he always manages to show up and does not complain.

In a time of splits and defections he has stayed put, give him credit for being honest and straightforward :thumbup:

jonovision_man
07-14-05, 12:29 PM
He wasn't the one who removed Servia from the car.

No, that's true... but after that he

- Gave the ride to Valiante
- Took it away, gave it to Marqes
- Took it away, gave it to Dalziel
- Took it away, gave it to ?? Bremer?

And we're only 7 races in!

It's not that I don't like the guy personally, but some attention has to be paid to how this makes the series look...

jono

IlliniRacer
07-14-05, 12:30 PM
Every series has its Minardi and Coyne. They serve their purpose.

Other series just have a Vision.

;)

Racing Truth
07-14-05, 12:48 PM

;)

:laugh: :laugh:

coolhand
07-14-05, 12:49 PM

;)

a vision of nepotism

JoeBob
07-14-05, 01:51 PM
I defy anyone here to find an owner who has been more loyal to ChampCar than Dale Coyne.

How many drivers have gotten a shot, or rebuilt a career based on a ride in one of Coyne's cars? Off the top of my head, here's a few: Paul Tracy, Memo Gidley, Roberto Moreno, Oriol Servia, Alex Barron, and Michel Jourdain.

Would I love it if Ryan Dalziel and Michael Valiente got more than one shot to drive this year? Absolutely. But without Coyne, they wouldn't have had one chance. Lets keep things in perspective.

Back in 1996, he could have joined fellow backmarkers Foyt, Menard, and Hemelgarn, gone to the IRL, and picked up a championship and probably an Indy 500 - but he didn't.

Before Andrew Craig was hired, CART needed an interim CEO who wouldn't come in a screw things up, Coyne stepped up and did the job - and a heck of a lot better than Bobby Rahal did, I might add.

There's also been countless teams that spent money they didn't have, then closed up shop, leaving engineers, suppliers, drivers, and others left standing around wondering if their checks would ever come, and they rarely did. Did he screw people like Sigma, PacWest, and countless others did? Nope - he spends the money he has, and not a penny more.

I'll take 10 Dale Coynes over 1 Bobby Rahal.

TedN
07-14-05, 02:11 PM
Autosport-Atlas now confirming that Bremer in at Coyne for balance of season. No funding required by Bremer.

Dale Coyne confirmed to Autosport-Atlas that he is in the process of signing the Dane and will formally announce the deal this afternoon.

However Bremer's experience this season has been the prime mover in the deal. He was replaced at HVM Racing last weekend by Alex Sperafico after sponsorship woes but has been offered a lifeline by Coyne as he does not require funding for the drive.

"Ronnie is a talented driver and is 13th in the points. He has experience this season. This is a driving decision and not based on money. He ran out of money at HVM but he doesn't need to bring a budget to us. He drove well for them and is 13th in the points.

Ted

coolhand
07-14-05, 02:20 PM
I defy anyone here to find an owner who has been more loyal to ChampCar than Dale Coyne.

How many drivers have gotten a shot, or rebuilt a career based on a ride in one of Coyne's cars? Off the top of my head, here's a few: Paul Tracy, Memo Gidley, Roberto Moreno, Oriol Servia, Alex Barron, and Michel Jourdain.

Would I love it if Ryan Dalziel and Michael Valiente got more than one shot to drive this year? Absolutely. But without Coyne, they wouldn't have had one chance. Lets keep things in perspective.

Back in 1996, he could have joined fellow backmarkers Foyt, Menard, and Hemelgarn, gone to the IRL, and picked up a championship and probably an Indy 500 - but he didn't.

Before Andrew Craig was hired, CART needed an interim CEO who wouldn't come in a screw things up, Coyne stepped up and did the job - and a heck of a lot better than Bobby Rahal did, I might add.

There's also been countless teams that spent money they didn't have, then closed up shop, leaving engineers, suppliers, drivers, and others left standing around wondering if their checks would ever come, and they rarely did. Did he screw people like Sigma, PacWest, and countless others did? Nope - he spends the money he has, and not a penny more.

awesome post, i did not know about some of that stuff. :thumbup:

KLang
07-14-05, 02:28 PM
Great post JoeBob. :thumbup:

Seems to have worked out OK for Bremer.

jonovision_man
07-14-05, 02:45 PM

Geez, you'd think I'd suggested executing him. :rolleyes:

I'd take 1 Dale Coyne who doesn't switch drivers every week over 1 Dale Coyne who does.

I don't think it's good for the series to have drivers popping in and out like a whack-a-mole game. The other teams seem to generally have some measure of stability, I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

jono

Steve99
07-14-05, 03:02 PM
Autosport-Atlas now confirming that Bremer in at Coyne for balance of season. No funding required by Bremer.

Ted
It says he doesn't need to bring money, it doesn't say he didn't bring money.

JoeBob
07-14-05, 04:14 PM
Geez, you'd think I'd suggested executing him. :rolleyes:

I'd take 1 Dale Coyne who doesn't switch drivers every week over 1 Dale Coyne who does.

I don't think it's good for the series to have drivers popping in and out like a whack-a-mole game. The other teams seem to generally have some measure of stability, I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

jono

The day that the way Dale Coyne runs his operation becomes ChampCar's biggest problem will be a very happy day.

ChampCar would have been better off with a rule addressing participation in the Indianapolis 500 than a rule aimed at dealing with the Dale Coyne's of the world.

Which has hurt the series more? Dale Coyne's revolving backmarkers, or Carl Haas taking a Fistful of Yen and losing Bruno for the season?

Andrew Longman
07-14-05, 04:27 PM
I bet Dale would be touched by the loyalty and commitment shown to him here. Seriously

I think there is merit to giving consideration to how the series is presented. NASCAR is very fussy about a lot of thing including the precise placement of various sponsor decals on the car.

I'm not sure what to do about Coyne. He serves an important role in the series and his loyalty must be respected. But the revolving seats in his car do nothing to create the impression of a top flight professional and competitive sport. And it hurts the series' ability to build fan familiarity with the drivers.

But as someone said, if this was CCWS biggest problem it would be a great day.

jonovision_man
07-14-05, 04:37 PM
The day that the way Dale Coyne runs his operation becomes ChampCar's biggest problem will be a very happy day.

ChampCar would have been better off with a rule addressing participation in the Indianapolis 500 than a rule aimed at dealing with the Dale Coyne's of the world.

Which has hurt the series more? Dale Coyne's revolving backmarkers, or Carl Haas taking a Fistful of Yen and losing Bruno for the season?

Totally irrelevant.

The appearance of professionalism is important.

jono

KLang
07-14-05, 04:40 PM

Wasn't this round of musical chairs at Coyne caused by Servia moving to NH anyway? :shakehead

Rob
07-14-05, 04:49 PM

It's not that I don't like the guy personally, but some attention has to be paid to how this makes the series look...

jono
FWIW, the ride was not "taken away" from Marques. Tarso left because "the squad could not grant some of his requests."

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/18067/

cameraman
07-14-05, 05:02 PM
Wasn't this round of musical chairs at Coyne caused by Servia moving to NH anyway? :shakehead

This round looks more like Coyne liking what he saw in Bremer and going for it when HVM was forced to cut him loose.

JoeBob
07-14-05, 05:05 PM
If Servia doesn't fill in for Bruno, he's in the AMR car all season. This can all be traced back to Bruno getting hurt.

KLang
07-14-05, 05:11 PM
If Servia doesn't fill in for Bruno, he's in the AMR car all season. This can all be traced back to Bruno getting hurt.

Exactly right!

That said, I can't blame Servia for making the move. I just don't think Coyne's 'troubles' have been of his own making.

jonovision_man
07-14-05, 05:17 PM
Exactly right!

That said, I can't blame Servia for making the move. I just don't think Coyne's 'troubles' have been of his own making.

Not all, no, we all know why the first driver switch took place... it's the driver-of-the-week since then.

Maybe I'm just bitter that Valiante didn't get the ride for Toronto. :D

jono

coolhand
07-14-05, 05:20 PM
if i see coyne i will walk up to him, shake his hand and say i appreciate his loyalty to the series. His integredy puts Fernadez, Rahal, Andretti, Ganassi, and Penske to shame

Racing Truth
07-14-05, 05:48 PM
To be sure, the revolving door stuff is not good, and Coyne's, uhh, operation has not been the most professional in the sport.

But JB makes good points, esp. on Indy. They ought to schedule something for BOTH weekends of quals.

mueber
07-14-05, 06:22 PM
Ted

Seems like a decision made for all the right reasons to me. Thanks Ted

Insomniac
07-14-05, 07:42 PM

jono

Marques left. :)

Insomniac
07-14-05, 07:47 PM
Okay, I admit the driver switching is confusing to me and I'm a fan, but it's the guys at the back. This probably happened when they had 26+ cars only we had more people to pay attention to than the moving chicanes. :)

Jervis Tetch 1
07-14-05, 10:39 PM

;)
:laugh: :rofl: :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
07-14-05, 10:42 PM
Did he screw people like Sigma...JoeBob, you're bringing back painful memories to me :flame:

cameraman
07-16-05, 04:41 AM
So, who is going to be driving the #19 at San Jose??? :shakehead

“I hope Ronnie is with us for the rest of the season,” he said, “but there’s some details to be worked out. I came to Edmonton thinking Ronnie and Riccardo were set for the rest of the season (but) that HVM statement came as a bit of a surprise. There’s a whole lot of ‘ifs’ there (in the Bremer/HVM statement).

“I’d like to have Ronnie drive the rest of the season for us, but we’re not in the business of training drivers for other teams....”

cart7
07-16-05, 07:27 AM
Trying to follow Coynes musical chairs this year is making me http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/dvv/sconf.gif