PDA

View Full Version : 2007: Champ Car faster than F1?

rabbit
07-13-05, 05:10 PM
article (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/18156/)

"Our goal is to make it more maneuverable and lighter while maintaining the safety aspects that are so important, and at the same time preserving things that are classic Champ Car, including the turbo engines,” he stated. "We are talking to three or four different manufacturers about the '07 car right now.

“It's also interesting that we potentially have the opportunity to be the fastest racing [in the world] because F1 is going down in power and has different tire rules. We can go up in power and maintain the ability to change tires.”

Interesting. With the current hullabaloo in F1, CCWS could be poised to make hay in the world motorsports scene.

oddlycalm
07-13-05, 05:15 PM
I was very pleased to see this on Autosport. Glad KK is thinking this way. A lighter chassis along the lines they have been talking with a bit more power would be sweet.

oc

G.
07-13-05, 05:27 PM
lots of cool stuff in Gordon Kirby's inside track

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9329

Andrew Longman
07-13-05, 06:25 PM
article (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/18156/)

Interesting. With the current hullabaloo in F1, CCWS could be poised to make hay in the world motorsports scene.

And Danica aside, TG is not. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

NismoZ
07-13-05, 09:06 PM
"...more maneuverable and lighter...and we CAN (I hope!, caps mine) add more power."...Those are the key words. We don't HAVE to be faster than F-1, but faster/better than CC present. What would -150lbs. and +50 hp do for us? ...and 100 more, PTP? :)

TU Homer
07-13-05, 09:45 PM
I love the look of the current low-slung cars, I hope they retain that general look. My only complaint with the current package is it looks slow in corners. I know the TV production affects this, but even when I go to races, I want to see quicker acceleration and deceleration (braking), closer to F1. So comparing top speeds with F1 doesn't do anything for me, but show me a car that approaches the quickness of F1 cars.

-TU

Insomniac
07-13-05, 09:53 PM
I don't think F1 will let that happen personally. Also, i would expect the ChampCar to always be heavier for oval tracks. It will be nice to see quicker cars though. And passing!

nrc
07-13-05, 10:11 PM
I don't think F1 will let that happen personally. Also, i would expect the ChampCar to always be heavier for oval tracks. It will be nice to see quicker cars though. And passing!
Unfortunately it sounds like KK may be prepared to give up on ovals after next season. I say unfortunately because although I understand that they've struggled attendance-wise the variety of circuits has always been an important part of Champ car for me.

racer2c
07-13-05, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately it sounds like KK may be prepared to give up on ovals after next season. I say unfortunately because although I understand that they've struggled attendance-wise the variety of circuits has always been an important part of Champ car for me.

Me too. :thumbup:

jonovision_man
07-14-05, 08:06 AM
“It's also interesting that we potentially have the opportunity to be the fastest racing [in the world] because F1 is going down in power and has different tire rules. We can go up in power and maintain the ability to change tires.”

Right, but F1 (currently) has a tire war, which pushes them to the limit. Sometimes over the limit, as we saw at the USGP.

Even if Max gets his single supplier, they are going to push those V8's to the limit, they're going to push the aero rules to the limit, etc.

The constant R&D in F1 should keep F1 fastest, unless Max shoves his head completely up his ...

jono

cameraman
07-14-05, 11:56 AM
I don't think F1 will let that happen personally. Also, i would expect the ChampCar to always be heavier for oval tracks.

What oval tracks?

Insomniac
07-14-05, 12:27 PM

I think it's one of those things that's kind of a core to what ChampCar is. I also take what KK as saying is he knows that's the legacy of ChampCar and wants to keep. It probably just won't be like it was. They need to do something to get a couple ovals on the schedule an keep the two they have. I just don't know what tracks aren't owned by ISC and raced on by the IRL that ChampCar can go to. Surely they can put together some type of event (a concert maybe) or partner up with someone like the Craftman Trucks.

Insomniac
07-14-05, 12:29 PM
What oval tracks?

I know there are only 2, but that's enough to require the cars to be able to race on ovals and be able to endure that kind of impact. They can make it work if they want to, and I believe they do.

coolhand
07-14-05, 12:52 PM
I think it's one of those things that's kind of a core to what ChampCar is. I also take what KK as saying is he knows that's the legacy of ChampCar and wants to keep. It probably just won't be like it was. They need to do something to get a couple ovals on the schedule an keep the two they have. I just don't know what tracks aren't owned by ISC and raced on by the IRL that ChampCar can go to. Surely they can put together some type of event (a concert maybe) or partner up with someone like the Craftman Trucks.

the two best ovals, Michigan and Fontana are ISC owned.

I miss the fast 500 milers. But i honestly dont think this series will be like that again. The IRL killed the oval openwheel audience. they all watch NASCAR or moved on. I saw alot of CART shirts at Sonoma this year.

Road/Street racings is all that can work now

Andrew Longman
07-14-05, 04:35 PM
I miss the 500 milers, especially pre Hansford era. I did Michigan for years and the speeds are simply stunning.

If California and MIS aren't available (and attendance at MIS the last few years was ridiculous anyway) I also enjoyed the German and Rockingham ovals. I'm not crazy about going back to Europe right now, but from purely a track point of view those tracks worked well for me.

Insomniac
07-14-05, 07:50 PM
How is LV working out running with the trucks? Is attendance good? Maybe that is the way to go to preserve the tradition and allow the fans who enjoy ChampCars on ovals to still watch them. They may not make a bundle, but hopefully they don't lose anything either. But they get to keep some fans happy and maintain their heritage.