PDA

View Full Version : Schloss Schumie

oddlycalm
07-11-05, 04:26 PM
The new house Schumacher is building looks to be quite a place. It appears that it will be a quality over quantity job as 24 rooms is not all that big by US standards. The fact that it will take a crew of 200 more than 2.5yrs to complete is a strong clue that it's not going to be your typical McMansion. So is the mammoth stationary crane which is unusual for a residential job. Cost is estimated at $29 million, or well over $1 million per room. The 15 hectare property near Gland, Switzerland on which it will be built cost over $13 million.

The house includes eight bedrooms, five bathrooms, indoor pool, sauna, a gym with a wall for free climbing, a cinema with 30 seats, an underground garage big enough for 25 cars, a huge trophy room, a 15 meter tall tower with MS's office at the top. The total size of the house is 2,200 sq. metres on three-floors. There will also be a 730 sq. meter guest house.

oc

Gnam
07-11-05, 04:40 PM
So is the mammoth stationary crane which is unusual for a residential job.
With all the large open spaces (movie theater, gym, garage) my guess is they will use a lot of structural steel on multiple levels, so a crane may be the only way to unload the trucks, move the steel around the jobsite and place it in its final position.

Will the house be red? ;)

cameraman
07-11-05, 06:01 PM
2200 sq meters is 23681 sq feet.

The 730 sq meter guest house is a mere 7858 sq feet.

The 15 hectare lot works out to be 37 acres.

Dr. Corkski
07-11-05, 06:55 PM
The house includes eight bedrooms, five bathrooms, indoor pool, sauna, a gym with a wall for free climbing, a cinema with 30 seats, an underground garage big enough for 25 cars, a huge trophy room, a 15 meter tall tower with MS's office at the top. The total size of the house is 2,200 sq. metres on three-floors. There will also be a 730 sq. meter guest house.Around here we call that a mall. :gomer:

RacinM3
07-11-05, 07:27 PM
I can't wait until the guest house is ready to receive me! I just may call one of them Hectare guys to bring me drinks when I get there! :p

Tifosi24
07-11-05, 09:45 PM
I don't know how large the stationary crane is, but I do remember seeing a couple cranes being used for what would appear to be residential construction when I was in Germany. Now, from the description of the house, my guess is that Herr Schumacher's crane is much larger than the ones I saw.

oddlycalm
07-12-05, 11:59 AM
With all the large open spaces (movie theater, gym, garage) my guess is they will use a lot of structural steel on multiple levels, so a crane may be the only way to unload the trucks, move the steel around the jobsite and place it in its final position. Probably right, and it's possible that it will probably also be needed for more traditional materials such as cut stone for the outside walls and slate for the roof. I can't really see the Suisse authorities signing off on a steel, concrete and glass commercial type structure, although I guess it would be in keeping with the current Euro industrial-modern style.

oc

cameraman
07-12-05, 12:04 PM
It appears that it will be a quality over quantity job as 24 rooms is not all that big by US standards.23681 sq feet is not big?
What kind of neighborhood do you live in??????

oddlycalm
07-12-05, 01:51 PM
23681 sq feet is not big?
What kind of neighborhood do you live in?????? It's not about where you or I live, it's about number of rooms vs sq. ft. vs $$. We have half a dozen houses bigger than that within a 15 minute drive, but they tend to have twice as many rooms and cost around half what Schloss Schumi is estimated at. I'm also looking at houses like the one Gates built on Lake Washington and those in the hills above LA that are in the same price and size range. Also, think about the number of rooms and think "great hall" not overgrown spec house. Finally, think about a crew of 200 for 2.5yrs. All of that speaks volumes about the materials used and the level of finish and detail work. Even the average Suisse home is built to last 200yrs and carry a price to match.

oc

cameraman
07-12-05, 02:27 PM
I guess we are a bit more restrained in Utah. Most of the 15-20+ million dollar houses up in the mountains run in the 10-16,000 sq foot range with 5 to 6 bedrooms. But none are the built of 100% stone, masonry & steel like they are in Switzerland.

I can't imagine what the average US fiberboard and vinyl house is going to look like in 30 or 40 years... :shakehead