PDA

View Full Version : Williams engines

jonovision_man
07-11-05, 09:00 AM
Did anyone catch Sir Frank's comments on the Speed broadcast? I'm trying to nail down exactly what he said, but it was something to the effect that they will have engines from a manufacturer, and it WON'T be a customer arrangement.

Anyone catch it?

jono

spinner26
07-11-05, 10:20 AM
Yes and on windbag they were hitting home the point that sir frank stated it would be a partnership deal NOT a customer deal.

With all that's going on at Williams it makes Juan's move look all the more better. :thumbup:

jonovision_man
07-11-05, 10:56 AM
Thanks, trusted my ears but glad someone could back it up for me. :)

Some fuel for the fire:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15226.html

Lexus-badged Toyota engines for 2007? They say 2006, but Toyota already ruled that out this morning.

jono

RTKar
07-11-05, 11:00 AM
Yes and on windbag they were hitting home the point that sir frank stated it would be a partnership deal NOT a customer deal.

With all that's going on at Williams it makes Juan's move look all the more better. :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly. Could Williams be going the way of Tyrrell?

chop456
07-11-05, 11:26 AM
My thoughts exactly. Could Williams be going the way of Tyrrell?

Yamaha? :eek:

:D

oddlycalm
07-11-05, 03:34 PM
More like F1 is going the way of CART of the past and now the EARL. It's not been all that long ago that most of the field ran with purchased engines from Cosworth. Now a team that has to go to Cosworth and buy engines is at at $20 million disadvantage and probably doesn't have much hope of being any better than mid-pack.

Williams would certainly like to think they will have a partnership arrangement because that would allow them to keep the $20 million in their pocket and perhaps have a chance at the podium now and then. Both Honda and Toyota have as much as said that they won't be supplying Williams, so unless Sir Frank has something going on with Renault (which makes little sense) I suspect they will be running the BMW of another year.

oc

coolhand
07-11-05, 09:06 PM
there is that hyundai-cossie engine for Williams that was a rumor

Ziggy
07-11-05, 09:38 PM
The engine costs are insane. What I dont understand is this, how come you can use a million dollar gearbox yet have to use the same set of tires the entire weekend?

Tires are the cheapest thing on these cars.....

There is alot of positives about F1 splitting :gomer: :rofl:

Jervis Tetch 1
07-11-05, 11:34 PM
Amen to that.

trauma1
07-12-05, 10:51 AM
sounds like cossie for 2006 and maybe toyota after that :confused:

mueber
07-14-05, 06:37 PM
I wonder if there will be any Jordans to put Toyota engines in next season. If not, at worst, Toyota might want Williams to use their engines for the data they can generate. Frank may not have to pay for engines, but that doesn't mean he is getting paid for engines.

If that falls through, Cosworth.

pchall
07-20-05, 09:22 PM
check this (http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1121153093/formula_one/F1gossip/Toyota-rule-out-Williams-supply/view.html)

Toyota president John Howett told AFP that Sir Frank Williams recently approached the Japanese carmaker after losing BMW's works engine supply.

Although hinting at a possible collaboration from 2007, he added: ''It is far too late to even contemplate.''

''For next year, it's a no.''

Meanwhile, BMW's Mario Theissen - off to Sauber in 2006 - has imposed a three week deadline for Sir Frank Williams to take up the Munich manufacturer's V8 offer.

The German said: ''It's all up to Frank.''

Hmmm... And then there is the chance that Sir Frank might sell up and roll away from it all.

link (http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1121861005/formula_one/F1gossip/Williams-in-buyout-talks/view.html)

(GMM) Believe it or not, Grove based Williams - one of F1's most successful ever grand prix teams - is reportedly in buyout talks with a Korean consortium.

Former BAR principal David Richards, and Korean multinationals Hyundai and Samsung, are thought involved.

Richards, also Prodrive boss and world rally impresario, told F1 Racing magazine: ''I haven't spoken to Frank (Williams) or Patrick (Head), but I'm keeping a close watch.''

And what about Hyundai?

''Possibly -- I've no idea.''

RTKar
07-20-05, 09:39 PM
Yamaha? :eek:

:D

HA Ha...I was thinking more along the lines of slow downhill slide to F1 obscurity as Sir Frank ages and the team relies on customer engines.

oddlycalm
07-21-05, 04:08 PM
HA Ha...I was thinking more along the lines of slow downhill slide to F1 obscurity as Sir Frank ages and the team relies on customer engines. I think they'd sell it before they allowed that to happen as Williams and Head have plenty of pride left. They have been through difficult periods in the past, but I agree that at some point age and circumstances are not on their side.

oc

Mr. Toad
07-28-05, 10:58 PM
http://www.darwinvets.plus.com/images/topical/hamsters/hamster2.jpg

NismoZ
08-15-05, 02:51 PM
Cosworth it is! "...not based on a traditional engine supply agreement." Both companies will invest in the development. So, Cosworth eats some of the cost to make sure they have a seat when the season starts?

coolhand
08-15-05, 03:06 PM
Cosworth it is! "...not based on a traditional engine supply agreement." Both companies will invest in the development. So, Cosworth eats some of the cost to make sure they have a seat when the season starts?
they could hope to get a company to badge the engine and re-coup on their costs.

NismoZ
08-15-05, 03:59 PM
they could hope to get a company to badge the engine and re-coup on their costs.
My guess is that won't happen until they "prove themselves", if they can, next season. I haven't pulled for Williams since the early 80's, I may have to start again!. Wonder which name will be on the valve covers?