PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! RA Gone. I've Got One Straw Left...

HolyCrap
03-10-03, 02:31 PM
...and that one straw is the Milwaukee Mile. As much as this RA stuff sucks because it's all about the money (Money RA can thumb its nose at because of the wad of cash coming in a TG deal in the future) at least I continue to be excited about Milwaukee at night, seeing as I live in Wisconsin.

But that one last straw is the Mile.
The day CART doesn't stop in Milwaukee is the day I move on from the series...maybe become a truck racin' fan instead!

damiandoan
03-10-03, 02:45 PM
The second to last straw, eh? This blows, and hard. I'm having a hard time blaming CART/Pook for this one, but it still stings bitterly.

I wonder, for me, what the last straw will be? This is close, way to close for comfort... :(

One trip over to the darkside forum just about made me sick. They are in absolute glee... :mad: :mad:

DD

:mad: :mad: :mad:

RichK
03-10-03, 05:28 PM
This is about my second to last straw. My wife and I spend thousands of dollars per year to attend CART events, and we just finished a phone conversation concerning Montreal F1 tickets for next year.

dirtyboy
03-10-03, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by HolyCrap
...and that one straw is the Milwaukee Mile. As much as this RA stuff sucks because it's all about the money (Money RA can thumb its nose at because of the wad of cash coming in a TG deal in the future) at least I continue to be excited about Milwaukee at night, seeing as I live in Wisconsin.

But that one last straw is the Mile.
The day CART doesn't stop in Milwaukee is the day I move on from the series...maybe become a truck racin' fan instead! So you only support the series because there are races close to your house? :rolleyes:

JSR
03-10-03, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by dirtyboy
So you only support the series because there are races close to your house? :rolleyes:

I am not speaking for Holy Crap. But what if that is the case? Is this person so wrong for supporting a series that runs close to him/her? Does it merit an :rolleyes: ?

mnkywrch
03-10-03, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by damiandoan
One trip over to the darkside forum just about made me sick. They are in absolute glee...

Because no CART fan ever celebrated Dover or WDW or Atlanta or <insert name of former IRL track here>...

It's not right, but it happens on both sides.

dirtyboy
03-10-03, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by JSR
I am not speaking for Holy Crap. But what if that is the case? Is this person so wrong for supporting a series that runs close to him/her? Does it merit an :rolleyes: ? Sure I do. I find it hypocritical for to be on these board talking about their love for all things Cart until a race is no longer near them. Imagine how people in other states with no races anywhere near them feel. True fans are willing to travel to see the races, if that’s not financially feasible turn on the TV, watch the race and deal with it.

FortyOneFord
03-10-03, 05:44 PM
Oh well. I have about 10 straws left.

RichK
03-10-03, 05:47 PM
Sure I do. I find it hypocritical for to be on these board talking about their love for all things Cart until a race is no longer near them. Imagine how people in other states with no races anywhere near them feel. True fans are willing to travel to see the races, if that’s not financially feasible turn on the TV, watch the race and deal with it.

True fans do travel to races. Of course, true fans have just had the heart ripped out of their favorite racing series. My wife stopped watching after all her favorite drivers left for the IRL. I've just lost alot of interest now that RA is gone. Laguna and Mid-Ohio are rumored to be next. I'll stay a true fan if my Series stays true to itself, thank you.

dirtyboy
03-10-03, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by RichK
True fans do travel to races. Of course, true fans have just had the heart ripped out of their favorite racing series. My wife stopped watching after all her favorite drivers left for the IRL. I've just lost alot of interest now that RA is gone. Laguna and Mid-Ohio are rumored to be next. I'll stay a true fan if my Series stays true to itself, thank you. See that’s your opinion. One thing I’ve noticed about offcamber.net is that it’s very much based in the Midwest (Ohio, Indy, Wisconsin), or whatever geographical region you guys call yourselves over there. For example look in the gathering section. You wont see one Long Beach get together thread but I see about ten different ones for some f’n bar called woo doggies or something like that. I too lost much interest in the series over the last two years but after the St. Pete race all my old love came back. The series is moving in a new direction and we all have to deal with it. From reading the posts its not Carts fault anyway so why would you stop liking Cart for something that they didn’t do? Do I think Road America kicks ass? Hell ya, but what can I do about it now? Just write your letters to RA and tell them to pay their bills like Lizzerd did.

I live in Los Angeles. I’ve heard rumors that the IRL wants Long Beach. If it happened it would really suck, but I wouldn’t stop liking Cart over it? Its just business people.

RichK
03-10-03, 06:05 PM
I'm in California. Racing is NOT business to me. I'm not a fan of the business, I'm a fan of the drivers (many of whom are gone) and the cars (which had their revs cut by a third) and the tracks (the best one IMO just got axed).

Like I said, one more straw.

p.s. I'm not blaming CART for this RA debacle. I'm just losing interest as these types of things build up.

HolyCrap
03-10-03, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I think it's more a chain of events thing.
WIll I never watch another CART race because RA is gone?
No.

Does it frustrate me to no end? Yes.

That's my right. I'm not a blind-follower guy like many are. Either you LOVE CART and HATE the IRL or you're not a REAL CART fan? I don't buy that....and again....that's my right....don't dis me for it.

:)

rabbit
03-10-03, 06:22 PM
There used to be five races within four hours drive time of my house - Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, MIS, Detroit and Indy. Now there's just two, and maybe just one in a year or two.

Do I like CART less because of that fact? No, but I can see why someone would.

RaceGrrl
03-10-03, 06:54 PM
[B]See that’s your opinion. One thing I’ve noticed about offcamber.net is that it’s very much based in the Midwest (Ohio, Indy, Wisconsin), or whatever geographical region you guys call yourselves over there. For example look in the gathering section. You wont see one Long Beach get together thread but I see about ten different ones for some f’n bar called woo doggies or something like that.

boy, there's no need to get pissy over where many of the members of OffCamber live. This isn't a MidWest CART fan forum, it's a forum for ALL CART fans. If you want to see a thread about a gathering of OC fans elsewhere, it would be welcomed, I'm sure. Do you want to plan a race party and have OC members attend? Great, do it. I think you're overreacting to that point, at least.

The rest of what you said, I pretty much agree with.

RARules
03-10-03, 07:13 PM
I'd say it's just a matter of a nascent web site. Folks came primarily by invitation, and that's just a matter of knowing people from other boards like 7G (and getting tired of the attack lemmings allowed to exist there).

Nobody is specifically Midwest-centric here. The folks are just generally person-centric and (I guess) they happen to be mostly from the Midwest.

No problem with folks fro manywhere else as long as they treat the topics with adequate respect and have reasonably common values with the rest on the board.

dirtyboy
03-10-03, 07:34 PM
I wasn’t saying anything like F Midwesterners. All I’m saying is the Midwest historically has had many races. I don’t think there needs to be five different races that one can easily drive to. People are going ape s**** over this. Imagine if you lived in the North East, you’d really be hurting for a race or two.

PS I was not being pissy. The last time I was pissy was when Warlock challenged me to a gave of flip cup which I easily won.
:)

Gurneyflap
03-10-03, 07:34 PM
No comment!

Dr. Corkski
03-10-03, 07:49 PM
Whether it's CART's fault or not is not the point. I don't want to sound like I am speaking for anyone here but I seriously doubt too many here started watching CART because they like the business or political side of things. Stop watching and stop liking are two different things. Having been lucky enough to have been to both RA and Long Beach, I have to say that RA blows Long Beach away. I am simply not a big fan of these 1.2 mile 50 turn street races.

The midwest should have more races because they have been able to put together more quality racing venues than here in California.

dirtyboy
03-10-03, 08:11 PM
Sure but it’s a business and Pook is going to treat it like that. Its obvious that street racing is the way Cart is going.

Heres the crappy truth. Street races bring in fans. Way more fans than at races like Road America, Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca and maybe Portland. If I were Bill Gates I’d build a Road America type track near every city and host races for free just because I think it’s the best racing around. But you gotta go were the people are and the money is.

PS, I'm just trying to get my post count up now ;) I know this isnt going anywhere.

Dr. Corkski
03-10-03, 08:20 PM
Sure but it’s a business and Pook is going to treat it like that. Its obvious that street racing is the way Cart is going.

Heres the crappy truth. Street races bring in fans. Way more fans than at races like Road America, Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca and maybe Portland. If I were Bill Gates I’d build a Road America type track near every city and host races for free just because I think it’s the best racing around. But you gotta go were the people are and the money is.What fans? The 0.2 rating from St. Pete's that Miami brougt in? Oh yeah, that will impress the sponsors. I am sure they would rather been seen by 100,000 fans 8 CART races out of a year rather than millions every NASCAR race.

Going all street race is like going to all ovals. It's a step down from CART.

dirtyboy
03-10-03, 08:59 PM
I agree with you 100%, but where else in the USA are they going to run? The only other suitable road courses are in Europe, and that’s a whole different discussion as are TV ratings.