PDA

View Full Version : ChampCar back to TMS?

JoeBob
07-08-05, 11:14 AM
With IMS and TMS in the midst of a high stakes game of chicken, there's a very real possibility that the IRL race at TMS will go away. TMS will still have a race next year the 2nd weekend after Memorial Day. The trucks are already signed up, but they're scoping out possibilities for a new headliner. ChampCar could fill that role quite nicely.

Thoughts?

devilmaster
07-08-05, 11:25 AM
If if the goofiness of racing has taught me anything, its that you can go home again......

But that being said, I highly doubt this one.

I can see alot of pros to it, i can see alot of cons to it.

I just don't see it happening, just my opinion on it, having no insider contacts or anything of the like.....

Sean O'Gorman
07-08-05, 11:42 AM
If they could find a way to do it where they were fast enough to keep from being in giant packs, but slow enough that the impacts with the wall wouldn't be that scary, I'd be all for it. We need more ovals.

Al Czervik
07-08-05, 11:51 AM
With IMS and TMS in the midst of a high stakes game of chicken, there's a very real possibility that the IRL race at TMS will go away. TMS will still have a race next year the 2nd weekend after Memorial Day. The trucks are already signed up, but they're scoping out possibilities for a new headliner. ChampCar could fill that role quite nicely.

Thoughts?

No freaking way. TMS is a disaster waiting to happen for open wheelers. WAY too much banking to allow champ cars to run w/out creating some kind of artifical EARL-type drone fest.

Stay away. Stay very far away from TMS

nrc
07-08-05, 11:55 AM
No way. Even though Champ car would now have full control over the speeds by ordering up a power number from Cosworth, I don't think flat-out momentum races are what CC fans want to see. The fans spoke after LVMS last year. We're expecting a real race there this year, but I don't think there's an open wheel formula that could produce one at TMS.

Andrew Longman
07-08-05, 12:51 PM
I suspect that TMS and local fans have had enough of champcars. I'm not sure it is worth going just to see if they've forgotten the debacle a few years back.

But even if you did, they would need to cut HP, put teeny tiny wings on, take away all the down force and make them actually drive. With 24 degree banking I'm not sure even that would do it.

Otherwise it's not a race I need to see. Better to use the date to race on the airport in Atlantic City ;)

NismoZ
07-08-05, 12:58 PM
Never.

Wally
07-08-05, 01:34 PM
Champ Car and TMS....... :thumdown:
If for no other reason that buffoon named gossage..... :shakehead

ChampcarShark
07-08-05, 05:44 PM
No Way Joseeee!!!!

That kind of track is not made for real racing

pchall
07-08-05, 08:51 PM
No Way Joseeee!!!!

That kind of track is not made for real racing

Exactly the reason why it should not happen unless SMI decides to reconfigure the track to 12 - 14 degrees banking.

CART T. Katz
07-09-05, 12:37 AM
i agree, we need more ovals.

we don't need high banked stock car cookie cutter deathtraps.

stay far far away from texas.

Insomniac
07-09-05, 01:28 PM
No way, go back to a different oval. Nazareth maybe.

Mark521
07-09-05, 01:42 PM
No way, go back to a different oval. Nazareth maybe.

I guess we could hold a street race there in a couple of years.

stroker
07-09-05, 03:03 PM
After the last debacle at TMS what fan would be foolish enough to buy a ticket?

SteveH
07-09-05, 03:26 PM
After the last debacle at TMS what fan would be foolish enough to buy a ticket?

Just like the IRL race, it would be part of a season ticket package.

devilmaster
07-09-05, 03:34 PM
I am still saying no....

But... (and you all knew a but was coming)

If they feel they can put on a good show, safely, then I'll consider it.

If they are just talking to screw with the IRL, then don't bother. The IRL brain'dead' trust are weasels. We don't need to sink to their level.

Insomniac
07-09-05, 04:02 PM
I guess we could hold a street race there in a couple of years.

Brain fade. I was thinking Homestead. Nazareth shut down last year.

CART T. Katz
07-10-05, 01:27 AM
i knew i should have quantified my answer.

If they feel they can put on a good show, safely, then I'll consider it.

i agree. all ovals are potential deathtraps, however if there is some way to slow the speeds down to safe levels, then i would consider watching the champcars at even tallagega.

RTKar
07-10-05, 07:58 AM
If they think it'll grow the series, they'll do it...

Megger
07-10-05, 08:39 AM
No way! Disaster waiting to happen.

Anteater
07-10-05, 05:15 PM
I never want to see the Champ Cars at TMS again. California Speedway would be cool, but TMS is all wrong for the cars. I think that was proven during the last attempt there.