PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland TV ratings

Napoleon
07-08-05, 10:49 AM
from todays Cleveland PD

"Numbers, numbers, numbers.

The television numbers for the latest IRL race (July 3) in Kansas and the last Champ Car race (June 26) in Cleveland are in and both camps are cheering.

Yet both are still far off the numbers delivered by NASCAR.

The IRL proclaims "record-setting coverage" with its highest-rated (other than the Indianapolis 500) and most-viewed IRL race to date. The Kansas race drew a 1.1 rating on ESPN and was seen in 970,000 homes. This surpassed the 1.0 rating for the IRL Texas race earlier in June.

Both numbers were triggered by Danica Patrick, who was fresh off her fourth-place finish in the Indy 500 going into Texas, and was sitting on the pole to start the Kansas race. In both events, she finished back in the pack. But that is not unusual, considering no rookie - and despite the hype, Patrick is still a rookie - has won an IRL race since 1997.

The Cleveland numbers read pretty much the same. Yet, what should make Champ Car officials feel good is the fact their numbers are not pinned on a phenom. According to race officials, the Grand Prix of Cleveland drew a .9 on CBS, reaching 1,006,000 homes. It was the highest-rated broadcast for Champ Car to date. Perhaps more impressively, that figure more than doubled the CBS Champ Car ratings from the previous week in Portland.

Still, those numbers pale in comparison to NASCAR. Last week the stock-car circuit drew 8.3 million viewers, the ninth-ranked show of the week, for the rain-delayed Pepsi 400 that ended at nearly 2 a.m. Sunday."

Warlock!
07-08-05, 10:57 AM
The television numbers for the latest IRL race (July 3) in Kansas and the last Champ Car race (June 26) in Cleveland are in and both camps are cheering.
http://www.tipsofallsorts.com/perfume.jpg
http://www.butterfieldacres.com/images/Butterfield%20pig%20101703.JPG

Sean O'Gorman
07-08-05, 11:41 AM
It is a stupid article to suggest that there is anything worth cheering about with the ratings, but at least it is a sign of support for the series from the meida. I bet Wilke or Defender have veins popping out of their foreheads right now. ;)

devilmaster
07-08-05, 11:58 AM
In the Toronto Star today: from two different articles:

NASCAR is already a success on Canadian television. On June 26, roughly 84,000 Canadian households watched Paul Tracy's Champ Car win at Cleveland. A few hours later, some 104,000 tuned in to the NASCAR race in Sonoma, Calif.

Champ Car audiences are up 9 per cent in Canada

CART T. Katz
07-09-05, 12:34 AM
while posted by a yfds'er on the speed boards, surprisingly he actually had some pretty meaningful content:

consider the fact that the crapwagons recieved 1.0 and 1.1 on a popular cable network that is paying them to broadcast their races with at least $200 MEELION dollars worth of promotion from yoda, chevy and homoco.
we recieved a .9 on a national over-the-air network while paying them to broadcast our races with (lets face it) next to nothing in terms of national promotion.

what looks better in the end: a .9 with no promotion over-the-air or 1.1 with boatloads of promotion on a cable network?

coolhand
07-09-05, 12:50 AM
i hate the speed boards

cameraman
07-09-05, 01:05 AM
It is a stupid article to suggest that there is anything worth cheering about with the ratings

0.9 is a whole lot better than 0.4

Baby steps are a good thing, you are not going to get to a 2, 3 or 4 instantly.

Lizzerd
07-09-05, 01:27 AM
while posted by a yfds'er...

What's wrong with yfds'ers?

Sean O'Gorman
07-09-05, 01:37 AM
0.9 is a whole lot better than 0.4

Baby steps are a good thing, you are not going to get to a 2, 3 or 4 instantly.

I'm of the belief that the fluctuations are entirely random.

I'm still waiting for them to make at least one major change in the series before I believe in any ratings growth. It doesn't even have to be something I agree with, just something that is different than what we've had the past 3-4 years, because there hasn't been any growth during that period.

CART T. Katz
07-09-05, 01:57 AM
some people think there is a certain stigma attached to those people. personally, i don't really care as long as people make sense.

Napoleon
07-09-05, 06:18 AM

What is yfds'ers?

chop456
07-09-05, 06:41 AM
?

pchall
07-09-05, 06:42 AM
What is yfds'ers?

yfds = your favorite driver sucks They might have a website. ;)

The super secret doily boy entrance to the site is here (http://yfds.com/) .

Gary
07-09-05, 06:52 AM
Gee, Cleveland was watched in 1,006,000 homes while the .1RL race was only seen in 970,000 homes. Not bad, I like this. Too bad CCWS doesn't have access to all the promotional $'s that produced those 970,000 viewers. At least not yet.

Insomniac
07-09-05, 01:26 PM
It will be interesting to see if ChampCar can sustain 1.0s during the summer. It's funny the IRL can't do much better when they have the best TV package of the 2.

nrc
07-09-05, 02:18 PM
It will be interesting to see if ChampCar can sustain 1.0s during the summer. It's funny the IRL can't do much better when they have the best TV package of the 2.
Alas, probably not. This weekend and Montreal are the only network races left on the schedule.

The Speed ratings will be down in the dirt where they always are, that's just the nature of a niche series on a niche network. The important thing is to start showing some improvement over what they've done on Speed in the past.

Insomniac
07-09-05, 04:10 PM
Alas, probably not. This weekend and Montreal are the only network races left on the schedule.

The Speed ratings will be down in the dirt where they always are, that's just the nature of a niche series on a niche network. The important thing is to start showing some improvement over what they've done on Speed in the past.

Any idea how ChampCar compares to the F1 on Speed? Or other races? What's a good rating on Speed. I'm sure .15 or .3 is pretty bad, but is a 1.0 good?

nrc
07-09-05, 10:57 PM
The best SPEED rating for Champ car that I'm aware of was a .5. That translated to about 285,000 households in 2003. I'm not sure what they've managed this season.

Jag_Warrior
07-09-05, 11:16 PM
Any idea how ChampCar compares to the F1 on Speed? Or other races? What's a good rating on Speed. I'm sure .15 or .3 is pretty bad, but is a 1.0 good?

I don't know what's good or bad on Speed but the Craftsman Trucks hover around 1.3. The CTS race from Daytona set a record this year at a 2.1. The dirt series (used to be Hav-A-Tampa... not sure what it's called now) gets around a 1.0 +/-.

I didn't see that much on ALMS's specific (cable) ratings but they're reported to be 50% higher than IRL and CCWS and 30% higher than Grand Am's. What's interesting about that is Grand Am's cable ratings would have to be higher than IRL and CCWS. :confused:

Insomniac
07-10-05, 10:37 AM
I don't know what's good or bad on Speed but the Craftsman Trucks hover around 1.3. The CTS race from Daytona set a record this year at a 2.1. The dirt series (used to be Hav-A-Tampa... not sure what it's called now) gets around a 1.0 +/-.

I didn't see that much on ALMS's specific (cable) ratings but they're reported to be 50% higher than IRL and CCWS and 30% higher than Grand Am's. What's interesting about that is Grand Am's cable ratings would have to be higher than IRL and CCWS. :confused:

Thanks for the information. So it seems ~750k viewers is pretty good for SPEED.