PDA

View Full Version : Mosley mutiny in the works?

devilmaster
07-06-05, 01:35 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=129751&hubName=auto_racing

TSN.ca Staff

7/6/2005 10:55:18 AM

The move to oust FIA president Max Mosley is expected to gain serious momentum as early as today.

According to Autosport magazine, seven of the 10 Formula One teams are expected to finalize plans at a meeting in Germany to back a candidate who will oppose Mosley for the presidency of the governing body when it comes up for a vote later this year.

The teams - Renault, McLaren, Williams, BAR-Honda, Toyota, Sauber and Minardi - are also the primary movers behind a planned breakaway F1 series in 2008. It's believed the candidate they select would not become public and remain a secret for as long as possible.

Among the candidates mentioned as possible opponents for Mosley are Robert Darbelnet, president of the American Automobile Association and Jacques Regis, head of the French Motorsport Federation. Former BAR-Honda boss and Prodive CEO David Richards has also been mentioned.

Sean O'Gorman
07-06-05, 01:57 PM
Wait, so these guys have been voting in Mosley every year? Or are the election intervals not yearly?

The Doctor
07-07-05, 12:41 AM
The FIA Prez is elected to terms. Don't remember how long, I think it's four or six years. Probably four.

cameraman
07-07-05, 12:47 AM
The FIA Prez is elected to terms. Don't remember how long, I think it's four or six years. Probably four.Correct.
He sold out his share of Simtek in 1991 when he was elected president of the FIA, deposing Jean Marie Balestre 43 votes to 29. He resigned a year later, stating that he would rather be elected on his own merits than the mistakes of his predecessor; the FIA immediately re-elected him for a four-year term. He was elected to his second term in October 1997 and his third in 2001.

In June 2004 Mosley announced that he would step down from his position in October of that year. However, in July 2004 he rescinded his decision after the FIA Senate called for him to stay on. His term expires in October 2005.

Lizzerd
07-07-05, 01:44 AM
So, who casts the votes? If Max won 43-29, that's at least 72 voters, if there were other candidates. I wonder how seven team principals, if that is seven votes, plan on ousting him.

FIA is about more than just racing, I believe.

Somebody who knows, please reply.

chop456
07-07-05, 02:36 AM
So, who casts the votes? If Max won 43-29, that's at least 72 voters, if there were other candidates. I wonder how seven team principals, if that is seven votes, plan on ousting him.

I'd imagine that GP2, FIA GT, WRC, etc. fit in there somewhere, as well as the "other than racing" votes.

I'd be interested in seeing a list.

cameraman
07-07-05, 02:45 AM
I'd imagine that GP2, FIA GT, WRC, etc. fit in there somewhere, as well as the "other than racing" votes.

I'd be interested in seeing a list.

* FIA Formula One World Championship
* FIA World Rally Championship
* FIA Formula 3000 Int. Championship
* FIA GT Championship
* CIK-FIA Karting World Championship
* FIA European Touring Car Championship
* FIA European Truck Racing Cup
* FIA Cross-Country Rally World Cup
* FIA European Drag Racing Championship
* FIA European Autocross Championship
* FIA European Rallycross Championship
* FIA Alternative Energies Cup
* FIA European Hill Climb Championship
* FIA International Hill Climb Challenge
* FIA European Hill Climb Cup
* FIA Historic Racing Championships
* FIA Historic Rally Championship
* FIA Historic Regularity Runs
* FIA Historic Hill Climb Championship
* FIA European Rally Cups
* FIA Middle-East Rally Championship
* FIA African Rally Championship
* FIA Asia-Pacific Rally Championship
* FIA European Rally Championship

cameraman
07-07-05, 02:57 AM

The General Assembly of the FIA shall be composed of the delegations of the FIA Member Clubs, Associations or Federations, each headed by its President or his representative. If in one and the same country the FIA has several Member Clubs, Associations or Federations, these Clubs may be represented by the same delegate, provided the latter belongs to one of the Clubs, Associations or Federations which he represents. A Member Club, Association or Federation which is unable to send a delegate to the General Assembly may be represented by the delegation of another country's Club, Association or Federation; however, no delegation shall be allowed to accept more than 1 proxy. Votes by correspondence will not be accepted. In addition, the President may decide to invite to the General Assembly any person who, either by the body he represents or by his own personality may bring useful assistance to the General Assembly. The Ordinary General Assembly shall be held annually ordinarily at the Headquarters of the FIA. This Assembly shall fix each year the date and venue of the following Assembly. The Annual General Assembly may decide to call, in the course of the year, meetings of other Extraordinary General Assemblies, for which it shall also fix the dates and venues. Furthermore, either at the justified request of the Clubs, Associations or Federations of at least one fifth of the countries represented within the FIA, or following an appropriate resolution of the Senate, the President shall convene at the Headquarters of the FIA an Extraordinary General Assembly which shall meet within a period of 3 months from the decision or the request which shall include a well-founded draft agenda. To this compulsory agenda, each of the FIA World Councils may add any item it shall deem advisable to be dealt with by the Extraordinary General Assembly. Notices convening General Assemblies shall be sent to the Presidents of the Member Clubs, Associations or Federations 2 months before the date fixed for the meeting. This period shall be reduced to 1 month and a half for notices convening Extraordinary General Assemblies, which must be accompanied by a complete agenda.

Jag_Warrior
07-07-05, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info, Cameraman. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
07-07-05, 02:25 PM
Max probably should not have allowed himself to be talked into standing for re-election in 2001. He has done some great things for motorsports in general and at the FIA in particular. It's unfortunate that he stayed after becoming ineffective and in doing so lost the confidence most of the teams not only in F1 but in WRC as well. We can only hope that his successor will do as well as Max did in his earlier years.

Basically, the same thing happened with Balestre who made huge strides in bringing the FIA in the modern world during his early years but became an eratic and emotional dictator before the end and left under a cloud of disgrace. Max has simply stayed on the shelf past his sell date. All of us get to old to function as we once did, and few of us seem to be able to judge when that is.

oc

Insomniac
07-08-05, 08:04 AM
To think, all he has done the couple years is try to slow Ferrari down and it's all the other teams that want to get rid of him. :)