PDA

View Full Version : KK in the Toronto Star

KLang
07-06-05, 09:54 AM
article (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1120601416881&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes)

On unification:

"Frankly, at this moment that's a red herring," he says. "We have our business under control. We have all we need for the future." :thumbup:

On the current status of Champ Car:

"I'm pleasantly surprised with the progress we've made," he says. "The momentum is positive, but there's still a lot of work to do. I'm not going to say we're there, yet."

On Milwaukee:

"We screwed up," Kalkhoven admits. "Staging a Saturday afternoon race, which began at noon, and going up against a baseball game was a dumb thing to do."

I've only been to Milwaukee once, many years ago. Is the problem as KK states?

On the earl engine situation:

"It doesn't affect us," he said. "We control our own engine supply with Cosworth. I'm sure for the IRL, Toyota's departure will have some serious repercussions, but I don't rely on the bad luck that others suffer to build our success." :p

NismoZ
07-06-05, 10:16 AM
The Milwaukee problem was EXACTLY as KK stated. I could not understand that decision when it was made...except their strong desire to get on network TV. I fear for CC's return to The Mile because of this mistake.

RaceGrrl
07-06-05, 10:26 AM
Holy crap, a series owner who admits he made a mistake. I think I might faint.

cameraman
07-06-05, 11:49 AM
The Milwaukee problem was EXACTLY as KK stated. I could not understand that decision when it was made...except their strong desire to get on network TV. I fear for CC's return to The Mile because of this mistake.

They might well return because they view the problem as their own scheduling screw up and not the race itself...

KLang
07-06-05, 11:57 AM
They might well return because they view the problem as their own scheduling screw up and not the race itself...

That is my take on it as well. Plus there is probably some value in denying that date from the earl.

TKGAngel
07-06-05, 12:14 PM

:)

I think its a refreshing change, instead of some of the holier than thou attitude taken by some of the other series (NASCAR and F1 I'm looking at you).

I don't think its in KK's/the series best interest for him to lie to the fans. His fan base is loyal, and proven to remember the smallest detail about who said what when (if the questions asked at the Cleveland Fan Forum are any proof).

NismoZ
07-06-05, 01:14 PM
Bingo on all of the previous four...I'd like the "Week After Indy" to mean something positive again someday however, not just be part of a defensive strategy. :)

Racing Truth
07-06-05, 02:47 PM

That's what I thought too. :eek:

It's encouraging. No one's perfect, but admitting mistakes means you are willing to learn from them. :thumbup:

FRANKY
07-06-05, 02:53 PM

Well he has another one he can admit too. The Brewers were playing the Dodgers in Los Angeles that weekend. :o

devilmaster
07-06-05, 03:08 PM
Well he has another one he can admit too. The Brewers were playing the Dodgers in Los Angeles that weekend. :o

I think he meant the Fox Saturday afternoon baseball game on TV.....

trauma1
07-06-05, 03:09 PM
they way the Brewers are playing i really wouldn't be so worried about them poaching any fans :rofl: :eek:

FRANKY
07-07-05, 01:38 AM
I think he meant the Fox Saturday afternoon baseball game on TV.....

I doubt it. Brewers were playing in the evening, and baseball is a Saturday Sunday sport with the majority of games after the race. I think they messed up, but no worse than a chilly night race. They'll get it right next year, dump the race the next.

devilmaster
07-07-05, 06:05 AM
I doubt it. Brewers were playing in the evening, and baseball is a Saturday Sunday sport with the majority of games after the race.

k..... lets try this again.

there is a US broadcast network called Fox. Fox has national coverage (which means all across the united states) of Saturday afternoon baseball games, which start at 1 pm eastern. Fox does this pretty much every Saturday starting in May.

On June 4th, viewers to Fox had their choice of two televised games at 1 pm eastern:

Saturday, June 4, 2005
1:00 PM
San Francisco Giants at New York Mets
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Boston Red Sox

Now, Champcar ran their race at 1 pm eastern, noon local on that same Saturday. They broadcast their race on a rival broadcast network called CBS.

So the Champcar race went head to head against Fox Saturday afternoon baseball. We know the brewers weren't playing in town or even that afternoon..... Thats why it makes sense that if KK says they went up against a baseball game, it must mean the game on TV at the exact same time.

FRANKY
07-07-05, 12:14 PM
So to make it perfectly clear, what would have happened if Champ Car had the race on Sunday?

devilmaster
07-07-05, 01:04 PM
So to make it perfectly clear, what would have happened if Champ Car had the race on Sunday?

1) doesn't matter.....they ran on saturday.

2) KK comments said they ran up against a baseball team. you said brewers played at night at the dodgers, so how could that be? I explained it to you.

eof

FRANKY
07-07-05, 01:23 PM
1) doesn't matter.....they ran on saturday.

2) KK comments said they ran up against a baseball team. you said brewers played at night at the dodgers, so how could that be? I explained it to you.

eof

But if they ran on Sunday they would have had the same problem, running up against a baseball team.

Baseball was just a lame excuse.

Sean O'Gorman
07-07-05, 01:34 PM
I dont see how baseball effected things at all, even if the race was on a Sunday, I can't imagine too many people having the disposable income to do both in the same weekend. Then again, I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch the Brewers in the first place. :saywhat:

G.
07-07-05, 01:44 PM
Then again, I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch the Brewers in the first place. :saywhat:Sometimes they play the Cubs. :gomer:

nrc
07-07-05, 05:04 PM
But if they ran on Sunday they would have had the same problem, running up against a baseball team.

Baseball was just a lame excuse.

Same "lame excuses" we got heard about the IRL saturday afternoon race. Saturday afternoon is a lousy time for a race. Do you disagree?

mueber
07-07-05, 06:39 PM
The only people who ask about the possibility of a “merger” between Champ Car and the IRL anymore are “journalists.” Everybody else knows it will never happen. I wonder how many more times people like Kalkhoven have discuss this before the “journalists” get it.

NismoZ
07-07-05, 08:07 PM
Maybe it's KK, FTG and a few of US who don't get it?

Insomniac
07-08-05, 07:51 AM
I don't know if he was talking about the number of fans at the track or the television ratings.

If he was talking about TV ratings, I don't know if the next day is any better. There was at least a NASCAR race on TV. Is he saying people chose to stay home and watch TV instead of go to the track?

All I can really say is it looks like they won't run on Saturday again and hopefully it will make a difference.

FRANKY
07-10-05, 09:55 PM
Same "lame excuses" we got heard about the IRL saturday afternoon race. Saturday afternoon is a lousy time for a race. Do you disagree?

Which is why 2006 is more of the same?

I don't mind a Saturday race in Milwaukee it beats anyday in Ansan.

nrc
07-10-05, 11:13 PM
Which is why 2006 is more of the same?If the rumored schedule comes to pass and the race is Saturday afternoon they deserve whatever attendance they get.

I don't mind a Saturday race in Milwaukee it beats anyday in Ansan.
Whether you mind doesn't answer the question of whether you're claiming that a Saturday date has no impact on ratings or attendance.

RTKar
07-10-05, 11:38 PM

The same thing. Champcar just doesn't have the drawing power it once did. Saturday could be made to work, whether it's at night or during the day. Milwaukee sports fans are very cost conscious and tend to be day of event ticket buyers, make the race a worthwhile happening and people will show up. If any venue has the "American driver" thing going, it would be Milwaukee. The Milwaukee crowd historically was a different crowd than what attended RA. Of course there's cross over but not enough to keep the stands full.

Insomniac
07-11-05, 11:25 AM
The same thing. Champcar just doesn't have the drawing power it once did. Saturday could be made to work, whether it's at night or during the day. Milwaukee sports fans are very cost conscious and tend to be day of event ticket buyers, make the race a worthwhile happening and people will show up. If any venue has the "American driver" thing going, it would be Milwaukee. The Milwaukee crowd historically was a different crowd than what attended RA. Of course there's cross over but not enough to keep the stands full.

Which is why the MotoRock idea was good. I know people think it taints the race, but getting more things going on for the purchase of a single ticket could help. When people hear a ChampCar race is coming, they probably don't think should I buy a ticket or not, they think, what's ChampCar? Until ChampCar is more recognizable, it wouldn't hurt to pair it with something that is.