PDA

View Full Version : TG could have saved the USGP?

coolhand
07-05-05, 11:55 PM
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15184.html

It has never been properly explained what happened on the morning of the United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis. Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Tony George could have actioned a clause in the Concorde Agreement which gives the promoter and organiser of a race the right to make decisions with regard to their individual events that cannot be influenced by the FIA. When asked by a group of those involved why he was not using that mechanism to save the race all George would say was: "I can't do it. I just can't do it!"

coolhand
07-06-05, 12:22 AM
if true the quote about

"the USGP representing why tony needs to be in controll" is pure BS

devilmaster
07-06-05, 01:58 AM
if anything, this just shows that Tony, once again, is waaaay over his head when playing with racing's big boys.

I wouldn't be surprised if that morning of the USGP, the meeting was about to get started, TG walked in and Bernie told him to go sit at the kiddie table, to come if called, and any other time just shut the hell up. - not that mumbles is a well-groomed public speaker to begin with.

If he had a chance to save his race, but couldn't for some reason, then he made one of his biggest blunders, save the irl and its whole existance. Do you let your race go down the tubes and then try to put out all the fires after the fact? Or do you say: Damn the torpedos, I have a race to run and to make sure my track doesn't look bad!

And look what choice he made. Tony, yer an idiot. :shakehead

Insomniac
07-06-05, 09:12 AM
I'm not surprised. They probably didn't even consult lawyers or see if there was anything they could do. Just sat back and said "it was out of our hands, thanks for your money".

pchall
07-06-05, 10:39 AM
I'm not surprised. They probably didn't even consult lawyers or see if there was anything they could do. Just sat back and said "it was out of our hands, thanks for your money".

I was really suprised that TG dismissed the Michelin proposal of a non-points GP without much thought. The idea was at least worth discussion, even if the logistics seemed difficult.

Brickman
07-06-05, 12:29 PM
I was really suprised that TG dismissed the Michelin proposal of a non-points GP without much thought. The idea was at least worth discussion, even if the logistics seemed difficult.

What's to think about? It would suck and no one would show up.

What Michelin should do is send everyone a refund, then send those same people 2006 tickets, then Michelin should cut a deal with IMS not for 20,000 seats, but the whole place and it would at least guarantee that the USGP06' is not a flop.

JLMannin
07-06-05, 12:37 PM
Man oh man! You guys are not taking the big picture look at this. I was at the speedway Friday and Saturday, anf the crowd were quite impressive - much bigger than anything during the month of May, save race day. The Indy 500 must be the biggest and most important open wheel race at the speedway - the F1 race was quickly gaining popularity - thank goodness Michelin screwed up and gave TG the opening he needed to reassert the 500 as the biggest and most significant open wheel race in Marion County.

FanofMario
07-06-05, 05:29 PM
Man oh man! You guys are not taking the big picture look at this. I was at the speedway Friday and Saturday, anf the crowd were quite impressive - much bigger than anything during the month of May, save race day. The Indy 500 must be the biggest and most important open wheel race at the speedway - the F1 race was quickly gaining popularity - thank goodness Michelin screwed up and gave TG the opening he needed to reassert the 500 as the biggest and most significant open wheel race in Marion County.

I agree with the crowd description. That was the biggest turnout in the six year history of the Indy USGP---both practices and race day IMO. As dumb as Tony is (and his minions), I doubt that they even understood what the Concorde Agreement is what it could offer. :gomer: