PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Driving

Rogue Leader
07-02-05, 11:53 PM
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lilimo0703,0,3483939.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

In the vein of the last post I thought Id put this upfront here...

See my last post in the checkpoint one...

The driver here was my friend Marty, he is alive with a broken leg. I am in a rage right now......

RaceGrrl
07-03-05, 12:58 AM
I can't imagine how you would even be able to talk to him right now. Nobody ever thinks it's going to happen to them, because most people are a terrible judge of how impaired they are. My coworkers drive drunk on a regular basis and think that because they only have a mile or two to drive that it's ok.

What a terrible tragedy for the family.

nrc
07-03-05, 11:44 AM
Tragic :( One bad decision can ruin so many lives.

B3RACER1a
07-03-05, 07:18 PM
One of my best friends, Jeremy, really just like a younger brother, was killed by a drunk driver in October 2002. The kid that hit him was drunk along with the 3 others in thier F-150. They crossed a lane of traffic and hit head on with my friend killing him at the scene, but not instantly. Of course everyone in the truck was ok, just drunk. And just to top it off, the kid still says its Jeremy's fault he's dead because he said Jeremy was speeding even though the crash investigation proved he wasnt. Up to that point I've never hated anyone.

I know how you feel, just with a different perspective.

redmist
07-03-05, 10:03 PM
that sucks, bad deal all around. just out of curiosity what was his bac?

Rogue Leader
07-04-05, 10:39 AM
that sucks, bad deal all around. just out of curiosity what was his bac?

A lot, supposedly he downed a bottle of scotch himself......

I have more details I unfortunately cannot share in such a public place yet, but lets just say hes very screwed.....

TravelGal
07-04-05, 04:18 PM
This is such a terrible thing. I feel so bad for you, Rogue Leader, in addition to the principals involved. I went back and read the entire checkpoint thread. So many on my father's side of the family were alcoholics, it's a topic I'm pretty familiar with. Lots of them had their license lifted from time to time. It's only by the grace of God that they injured no one over the years. I wish I had some sage advice but all I can do is say that I'm feeling the same way you are. The urge to choke the guy and I don't even know him. To have the dichotomy of having had him as a friend also........... :(

oddlycalm
07-04-05, 07:47 PM
but lets just say hes very screwed..... You are so very right. Assuming the medical issues get resolved, he can figure on a seriously long concrete vacation courtesy of the state. The back end of a vehicular homicide beef isn't going to be pretty at all, particularly considering the circumstances.

Really sorry that you're having to deal with such a painful situation RL.

oc

trish
07-07-05, 06:19 PM
I just saw this story on Channel 2 news. Very sad. My thoughts are with the family and also with your friend. Terrible....

Rogue Leader
07-07-05, 11:46 PM
His BAC was just released 0.28 which is more than 3 times the legal limit......

Hes facing a max of 30 yrs in prison.....

Ankf00
07-07-05, 11:53 PM
Jacqueline Saburido

http://www.statesman.com/specialreports/content/specialreports/jacqui/1128jacqui.html

this one dude from UT, his best friend is the one who ran into her and her friends head on going down 2222 after a party on Lake Travis

she's now a poster for Texas DPS anti-DWI campaigns

sorry dude, that's a s***** situation all around, you, his family, the others' families, and of course the departed :(

B3RACER1a
07-07-05, 11:57 PM
.28?!

Lizzerd
07-08-05, 12:54 AM
.28?

I don't think I could even drink that much. Well, maybe if I tried. I sure as heck wouldn't try to drive, though.

It's a tough time for you, Rogue Leader. Tougher, I'm sure, for your buddy's family and most of all the victim's families. Prayers be with all of you.

trish
07-08-05, 01:43 AM
Jacqueline Saburido

http://www.statesman.com/specialreports/content/specialreports/jacqui/1128jacqui.html

this one dude from UT, his best friend is the one who ran into her and her friends head on going down 2222 after a party on Lake Travis

she's now a poster for Texas DPS anti-DWI campaigns

sorry dude, that's a s***** situation all around, you, his family, the others' families, and of course the departed :(It's terrible that she has to go through so much pain and suffering. She must be an inspiration to others. I hope her suffering and advocacy has kept someone from going out and doing to another what Reggie Stephey did to her. Do you know what happened to him?

edit: Just came across this while looking at the photo documentary:

Reggie Stephey, convicted on his 20th birthday of intoxication manslaughter in the deaths of Laura Guerrero and Natalia Chpytchak Bennett, will be eligible for parole in 2005. He and Jacqui appeared in an Austin police anti-drunken-driving video. The damage he did, he says, is 'a pain that will never go away.'

Brickman
07-08-05, 02:12 AM
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lilimo0703,0,3483939.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

The driver here was my friend Marty, he is alive with a broken leg. I am in a rage right now......

I'm speechless, I use U.S. Limo to ferry my daughter to and from the airport... your friend's going to wish he had more than a broken leg when all is said and done.

Prayers in a very difficult time.

Hard Driver
07-10-05, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear about this tragidy.

I'm sure this guy is your buddy and not some evil guy, just a dumb ass. I have had a friend or two who drove totally sh--faced before in my younder days. But as a parent now, I have no sympathy for being that drunk and then driving the wrong way down the road. I don't care how long he goes away for, it will not be long enough, just because that might as well have been intentional being a .28. And if anyone was with him and let him drive, they should have repercussions as well. :flame:

Rogue Leader
07-14-05, 12:42 PM
Update

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lilimo0715,0,3746086.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

He was just upgraded to 2 counts of 2nd degree murder, and my sources tell me the DA has a very good case against him. Part of me feels bad part of me wants to see him rot in prison......

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, this is a trying time for me and my friends.....

oddlycalm
07-14-05, 02:08 PM
He was just upgraded to 2 counts of 2nd degree murder, and my sources tell me the DA has a very good case against him. Part of me feels bad part of me wants to see him rot in prison......

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, this is a trying time for me and my friends..... Man, this story just gets worse and worse. Once again, my sympathies. While it's hard to see a friend go down, this guy had some red flag warnings along the way that he was heading down a dead end road at high speed and he chose to ignore them. Whether this was an act of selfish indulgence or whether he had problems that he refused to get help for, his actions led to a predictable result which is why he's being charged as he is.

The 2nd degree murder charges along with the prior DUI and various traffic infractions make this pretty much a game over situation. Fighting the charges isn't an option because as soon as a jury sees a picture of that cute little girl and the trashed limo it won't matter what else is said, and that's probably as it should be. Probably the best move would be to take responsibility for his actions, plead guilty, hold his chin up and throw himself on the mercy of the court with a statement of full responsibility. That and a good pre-sentence investigative report might succeed in getting the sentences to run concurrently, which is probably the only hope he has of ever getting out and breathing free air again.

No silver lining here unless some post-adolescent male gets the message that his immortality complex is a serious and immediate threat to his own future existence as well as other and that results in him growing up.

oc

Rogue Leader
07-14-05, 02:39 PM
Man, this story just gets worse and worse. Once again, my sympathies. While it's hard to see a friend go down, this guy had some red flag warnings along the way that he was heading down a dead end road at high speed and he chose to ignore them. Whether this was an act of selfish indulgence or whether he had problems that he refused to get help for, his actions led to a predictable result which is why he's being charged as he is.

The 2nd degree murder charges along with the prior DUI and various traffic infractions make this pretty much a game over situation. Fighting the charges isn't an option because as soon as a jury sees a picture of that cute little girl and the trashed limo it won't matter what else is said, and that's probably as it should be. Probably the best move would be to take responsibility for his actions, plead guilty, hold his chin up and throw himself on the mercy of the court with a statement of full responsibility. That and a good pre-sentence investigative report might succeed in getting the sentences to run concurrently, which is probably the only hope he has of ever getting out and breathing free air again.

No silver lining here unless some post-adolescent male gets the message that his immortality complex is a serious and immediate threat to his own future existence as well as other and that results in him growing up.

oc

You are very much correct... I hope he goes the route you have described as his bail is now set over 1 mil, and the defense costs would bankrupt his family....

G.
07-14-05, 02:50 PM
Man, this story just gets worse and worse. Once again, my sympathies. While it's hard to see a friend go down, this guy had some red flag warnings along the way that he was heading down a dead end road at high speed and he chose to ignore them. Whether this was an act of selfish indulgence or whether he had problems that he refused to get help for, his actions led to a predictable result which is why he's being charged as he is.

ocBlasted drunk, politically-connected family, poor little girl.

RL, I'm sorry for you, I'm very sorry for the Flynn's, and to your buddy, well, ta ta for now. He's screwed. Welcome to the Greybar Hotel.

Brickman
08-02-09, 11:46 PM

They covered this story on 60 Minutes tonight.

Titled: "Is it Murder?"

Rogue Leader
08-02-09, 11:58 PM
Hm we didn't even hear about it.

I would have been interested to see.....

trish
08-03-09, 12:28 AM
Hm we didn't even hear about it.

I would have been interested to see.....

From what I found it's an old episode, from last year.

vuac5zZ1gqk

Rogue Leader
08-03-09, 07:39 AM
From what I found it's an old episode, from last year.

Thanks, I found it last night, apparently there was an update but I couldn't find out what that update was....

Insomniac
08-03-09, 04:38 PM
Thanks, I found it last night, apparently there was an update but I couldn't find out what that update was....

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5205158n

I haven't watched it, but that may contain the entire story aired Sunday night.

trish
08-03-09, 05:47 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5205158n

I haven't watched it, but that may contain the entire story aired Sunday night.

It's the same.

Andrew Longman
08-05-09, 07:53 AM
Wrong-Way Driver in N.Y. Crash Was Drunk, Police Say

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a3eyFZPoFC7s

Some things I will never get. Smoking a joint and chugging from a 1.75 while driving five little kids.

If you don't know the Taconic, it is an old twisting four lane that is a challenge to drive the right way.

cameraman
08-05-09, 03:16 PM
That is seriously ****ed up. :flame:

trish
08-05-09, 05:40 PM
There's a cover up going on with that one. How do you go from being the most wonderful, caring and loving person to a vodka swilling toker who drives high with kids in the car and kills seven people?

cameraman
08-05-09, 06:10 PM
She wouldn't be the first closet alcoholic.

Insomniac
08-10-09, 02:43 PM
There's a cover up going on with that one. How do you go from being the most wonderful, caring and loving person to a vodka swilling toker who drives high with kids in the car and kills seven people?

I'm going with science. That's how I can sleep at night. ;)