PDA

View Full Version : Honda: announced withdrawl?

coolhand
07-02-05, 06:01 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050702/SPORTS01/507020420&SearchID=73212953593057

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Honda has provided written notification that it will withdraw from the Indy Racing League after the 2006 season. But don't sound the alarm yet, the league's top official said Friday from Kansas Speedway.

League president Brian Barnhart said Honda Performance Development, a California-based company that builds race engines for the auto manufacturer, is preparing to continue with the IRL.

Barnhart said the written notification the company provided by the Thursday deadline only highlights "a flaw" in the handbook.

The IRL asks manufacturers to submit withdraw letters 18 months before they intend to exit. But nine months later they can recommit, creating a window for making decisions.

"All of the manufacturers have withdrawn 18 months before the season (at hand) only to turn around and reapply," Barnhart said. "It's something we didn't consider when we made the rule."

The difference is, Chevrolet meant it last year and Toyota officials have said the company will focus on NASCAR after its IRL contract expires next year.

As for Honda, HPD's Robert Clarke said Friday his company needs more information about the IRL's 2007 rules before it makes a commitment either way.

"We've got no formula to respond to yet," he said.

Barnhart said Clarke has been involved in all planning meetings, a sign that the IRL and Honda are still working together.

"On one hand, (Clarke) has provided written notification that he's out for 2007, and yet he's told us he's got 18 engineers and spending in the tens of millions of dollars on an engine that officially he doesn't know anything about.

"You do the math."

Barnhart also said he thinks Hyundai joining the IRL "is dead."

Yasukawa points to Sharp

Scott Sharp shook an angry finger and then lashed out at Roger Yasukawa to reporters last week at Richmond, Va., after contact between them sent Sharp spinning into the wall.

Yasukawa is now pointing the finger at Sharp, insisting the former IRL co-champion (1996) is guilty of frequently putting himself in bad positions.

"Part of the game is patience and if you don't get that right, the consequences aren't good," Yasukawa said.

Sharp, who admitted Friday to being emotional after crashing as the third-place car, said Yasukawa needs to remember Yasukawa's accident later in the race with Darren Manning happened in a similar manner.

"If I hadn't (seen) the Target logo (on Manning's car in the replay), you could have told me that was my car," Sharp said. "It's over; we all make mistakes."

nrc
07-02-05, 09:34 PM
"On one hand, (Clarke) has provided written notification that he's out for 2007, and yet he's told us he's got 18 engineers and spending in the tens of millions of dollars on an engine that officially he doesn't know anything about.

"You do the math."Ok. Three engine suppliers minus three equals zero. What did you get, Brainfart? :gomer:

Unless the new rules cater to Honda and you can come up with a new supplier to compete against, Honda is gone. Does Barnhart think he can pull a rabbit out of his hat?

RusH
07-02-05, 09:37 PM
Ok. Three engine suppliers minus three equals zero. What did you get, Brainfart? :gomer:

Unless the new rules cater to Honda and you can come up with a new supplier to compete against, Honda is gone. Does Barnhart think he can pull a rabbit out of his hat?

TG is on the horn, to the Flintstones. :cool:

cart7
07-02-05, 09:50 PM
geezus, looks like Hyundai sent their letter in before they were even in the league. :rofl:

"We've got no formula to respond to yet," he said.

I'll give ya a hint Bob, BB said the engine spec would be similar to the current, just with some cost cutting changes.

Can you say no sealed motors or lease plans? :gomer:

buh bye Honda. :laugh:

pchall
07-02-05, 10:08 PM
Can you say no sealed motors or lease plans? :gomer:

buh bye Honda. :laugh:

But will Ilmor and Cosworth be happy letting :gomer: omers like Foyt use their kwality tewls on their engines knowing where they comed from?

;)

coolhand
07-02-05, 10:11 PM
I dont think Cosworth would want to hand over the secrets to their engines.

especially to a crowd like the IRL who would use different eninges in a heartbeat. (also if Honda is in the series, talk about cheaters).

p.s. what could foyt do to the engine? :confused:

cart7
07-02-05, 10:28 PM
p.s. what could foyt do to the engine? :confused:

Special kwalifying nitrous injectors. :gomer: ;)

coolhand
07-02-05, 11:02 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

what happened when people confronted him about that in the 80s.

didn't storm off in a fit?

cart7
07-02-05, 11:51 PM
Kinda like that car that recieved the "Foyt preparation" that Special Ed drove to victory in the inaugral Freedom 100 winning by like a lap and a half.

What a joke, eveyone (who didn't crash themselves out) that was left in that race were running in a pack because those dog azzed engines wouldn't let them break away, meanwhile Special Ed is a mile ahead, apparently on super turbo charge mode and could've coasted to victory lane.
I was surprised the Hulmans didn't have yellow shirts laying down rose petals on the main straight as he came down to take the checkers that day, it was so scripted. :laugh:

devilmaster
07-03-05, 12:00 AM
Honda may stay if TG begs enough, but the money they put into teams will be gone - no need to pay teams to run against other honda runners..... which really means honda in the truest sense is gone.

trauma1
07-06-05, 09:14 AM
sounds like illmor will not be a player in engine making, they are unable to cast engine blocks according to autoweak, they are just set up for now to do rebuilds, that's were all those old 3.5 come in penski would just do rebuilds on them

Unless some agreement is reached, the IRL appears to have two choices: an update of either of the existing engines built by Cosworth (now badged Chevy) or Ilmor Engineering (badged Honda), possibly with an automaker’s name on the valve covers. Both options present challenges: Cosworth is now owned by Champ Car series owners Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven; and Ilmor Engineering in Plymouth, Michigan, was recently separated from its parent company in England, which was absorbed by Mercedes-Benz. Ilmor’s Michigan shop is essentially a rebuild facility, and does not have the capacity for major castings such as cylinder heads and engine blocks.

Racewriter
07-06-05, 12:00 PM
Ilmor’s Michigan shop is essentially a rebuild facility, and does not have the capacity for major castings such as cylinder heads and engine blocks.

No, but Dart Engineering is a short distance away, and they do.

trauma1
07-06-05, 12:06 PM
i doubt penski will deal with them, earl is screwed unless menard is going to build engines and mechachrome

Brickman
07-06-05, 12:06 PM
sounds like illmor will not be a player in engine making, they are unable to cast engine blocks according to autoweak, they are just set up for now to do rebuilds, that's were all those old 3.5 come in penski would just do rebuilds on them

Unless some agreement is reached, the IRL appears to have two choices: an update of either of the existing engines built by Cosworth (now badged Chevy) or Ilmor Engineering (badged Honda), possibly with an automaker’s name on the valve covers. Both options present challenges: Cosworth is now owned by Champ Car series owners Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven; and Ilmor Engineering in Plymouth, Michigan, was recently separated from its parent company in England, which was absorbed by Mercedes-Benz. Ilmor’s Michigan shop is essentially a rebuild facility, and does not have the capacity for major castings such as cylinder heads and engine blocks.

I think KK likes Cosworth to make a profit. I doubt he would turn down business because of politics. It would stink up his business.

Besides, I'm not sure why it would have to be even the same engine, and there are definately other builders out there.

KLang
07-06-05, 12:12 PM
I think KK likes Cosworth to make a profit. I doubt he would turn down business because of politics. It would stink up his business.

KK stated a month or two ago that he'd be happy to sell FTG engines. Problem would be replacing the manufacturer support to the teams.

trauma1
07-06-05, 12:14 PM
BB has been spouting they will go back to the 3.5's of 2002 , i guess there are a bunch lying around, then i quess penski would get the rebuilds. did cossie have a 3.3 lying around?????????

Brickman
07-06-05, 12:34 PM
KK stated a month or two ago that he'd be happy to sell FTG engines. Problem would be replacing the manufacturer support to the teams.

I agree.

50% less of a problem IF Honda stays.