PDA

View Full Version : Live 8

dando
07-01-05, 09:05 PM
Who's watching? I'm going to record it and skip through the Elton parts. :gomer:

Here's the playlist so far:

http://drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

No Zepp reunion for this one. :( :thumdown:

The Who, Pink Floyd, and Paul McCartney to close out the show?!? :cool: I caught The Who a couple of years ago here in Cbus...those old ****s rocked the house down.

-Kevin

Lizzerd
07-01-05, 11:15 PM
Hey!!! Calling The Who old ****'s is calling me and old ****. Oh, wait, I am an old ****. Saw 'em first in '75 in Bloomington IN. Kieth Moon was awesome, jumping around and banging skins the whole time.

Experienced (please note, not "saw") Pink Floyd first in '77, Soldier Field. Hard to imagine Roger Waters and David Gilmore on speaking terms. Another tour would be outstanding from those guys all together.

Al Czervik
07-02-05, 12:05 AM
Not to put a major downer on this, but it's been my experience that economists make poor rock stars, and rock stars make poor economists.

extramundane
07-02-05, 12:52 AM
No Zepp reunion for this one. :( :thumdown:

Why would you want that? Page and Plant are effing embarrassing these days. John Paul Jones is only marginally better. And who's going to play drums? Don't even say Jason Bonham. He's reduced to playing covers of Misty Mountain Hop in Foreigner, for chrissakes.

There comes a time to give it up. These guys have reached that point.

Oh, and, The Who ain't The Who without Entwistle. That's a fact.

Ankf00
07-02-05, 01:25 AM
*shrug*

$18 lawn tix for Houston, what's the harm? the $ goes to a proper place...

Lizzerd
07-02-05, 01:54 AM

Agreed. The guy made his bass sound like a freight train. :thumbup:

dando
07-02-05, 02:11 PM
Not to put a major downer on this, but it's been my experience that economists make poor rock stars, and rock stars make poor economists.
:shakehead

I'd expect that kind of narrow-minded BS from the crackforum, but not around here. I can't play an instrument or sing very well, therefore I can't appreciate music or express an opinion about music. @ least they are using their talents for a good cause...to raise the consciousness of people around the globe about a problem that simply shouldn't exist. Perhaps you subscribe to Sam Kinison's philosophy on wiping out hunger:

You want to help these people? Stop sending them food. Don't send these people another bite, folks. You want to send them something, you want to help these people? Send them U-Hauls, send them luggage, send them someone like me, I'll walk out there..send a guy who'll go,

'Hey, we just drove 700 miles with your food and it occurred to us that there wouldn't be world hunger, if you people would LIVE WHERE THE FOOD IS! YOU LIVE IN A ****ING DESERT! YOU LIVE IN A ****ING DESERT! NOTHING GROWS OUT HERE! NOTHING'S GONNA GROW HERE! YOU SEE THIS? HUH? THIS IS SAND. YEAH. DID YOU KNOW NOTHING CAN GROW IN THIS ****? HERE, EAT SOME OF IT, TASTE IT. KNOW WHAT IT'S GONNA BE A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW? IT'S GONNA BE SAND! YOU LIVE IN A ****ING DESERT! GET YOUR KIDS, GET YOUR ****, WE'LL MAKE ONE TRIP, WE'LL TAKE YOU TO WHERE THE FOOD IS! WE HAVE DESERTS IN AMERICA -- WE JUST DON'T LIVE IN THEM, *******S!"

A funny bit, but it's not meant to be taken litterally.

Oh, and this ain't about politics. This is a problem of life and death.

http://www.cheddarheads.co.uk/nfle/nfle99/whoopcan.gif

-Kevin

dando
07-02-05, 02:12 PM
*shrug*

Aye, dawg. For once we agree. Someone make a note of dat ****. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
07-02-05, 02:17 PM
Why would you want that? Page and Plant are effing embarrassing these days. John Paul Jones is only marginally better. And who's going to play drums? Don't even say Jason Bonham. He's reduced to playing covers of Misty Mountain Hop in Foreigner, for chrissakes.

Why? For sellfish reasons, really. Zep is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I'm too young to have seen them in concert in the 70s. I've only seen them 'live' during Live Aid, and in a movie. Phil Collins was pretty good filling in for JB for Live Aid. Folks don't remember the true greatness the original Genesis was. They only remember the pop wankers they and PC turned into late in their careers. Anyway....

Would they disappoint? Prolly, but you never really know.

re: The Who. So what? My point was that they rocked and rocked hard. To me, they sounded great, and they put more energy into their show than any number of younger bands I've seen in recent years. I can only imagine how great they were live w/Ent playing bass.

Peace.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
07-02-05, 02:29 PM
One of these days, a "classic" rock band will decide to "franchise" their band name and just keep replacing members long past when all the original members have died.

Winston Wolfe
07-02-05, 06:27 PM
can someone explain how those Effing WANKERS at MTV go to the idiot VJs when the guitar solo is coming up for "Comfortably Numb".....

Hello ?

What, no one at MTV has heard the song before ????

KLang
07-02-05, 06:35 PM
I was amazed that MTV didn't break in earlier. :thumbup: They sounded pretty good for a bunch of old farts. :D

Sean O'Gorman
07-02-05, 06:42 PM
Should've had on XM

coolhand
07-02-05, 06:42 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

yep, i dont need rock stars to convince me what is the right thing to do. And screw this concert. It is just a big power trip on their part thinking they have influence over everyone. When in truth its mostly confused young people.

i would rather download their music and listen to it when i want too (because it pisses them off)

Classic Apex
07-02-05, 07:03 PM
Should've had on XM

I did. The Cure ending the show in Paris was perfection. I'm so glad Porl Thompson is back in the band.

:cool:

coolhand
07-02-05, 07:11 PM
I did a little reading and found out some of these musicians are getting paid to do this. Not all are though. :shakehead

swift
07-02-05, 07:16 PM
a reporter from my local hard rock radio station was at the barrie (90km north of toronto) live8 concert. some of the bands on the bill are the usual fare of the station; deep purple, motley crue, neil young...

for some asinine reason the promotors thought it would be worthy to have a performance beamed in by sattelite of a famous canadian performer. they fired up the jumbotron and presented to the crowd...

celine dion.

the booing lasted over 15 minutes.

Insomniac
07-02-05, 09:09 PM

There are a lot more people involved in and supporting this cause than musicians and actors.

I don't know where your experience comes from, but a lot of them are successful in helping to raise $millions for their various causes.

Some celebrities come off poorly, instead of trying to raise awareness, they try to force, or tell us what we should think because that is what they believe. However, all these people are in a position to shed light and raise awareness and it's nice to have people who can do that instead of just sweeping things under the rug.

Insomniac
07-02-05, 09:11 PM
*shrug*

Was this to watch a live feed from the concerts?

Insomniac
07-02-05, 09:13 PM
a reporter from my local hard rock radio station was at the barrie (90km north of toronto) live8 concert. some of the bands on the bill are the usual fare of the station; deep purple, motley crue, neil young...

for some asinine reason the promotors thought it would be worthy to have a performance beamed in by sattelite of a famous canadian performer. they fired up the jumbotron and presented to the crowd...

celine dion.

the booing lasted over 15 minutes.

So I guess that means you don't want her back? :)

RusH
07-02-05, 09:18 PM
I did a little reading and found out some of these musicians are getting paid to do this. Not all are though. :shakehead

praytel.......

speak, we want to know who the traiters are! ;)

Seriously, leave political opinion out of it. Do you even play a musical instrument? :shakehead

coolhand
07-02-05, 09:29 PM
praytel.......

speak, we want to know who the traiters are! ;)

Seriously, leave political opinion out of it. Do you even play a musical instrument? :shakehead

you think they all are doing it for free?

thinking that cancelling the debt of these nations (basically giving them money) solves anything is foolish. As long as corrupt reigms are running those places that money is going to line the pockets of the well fed. The few legitament governments already have had their debt canceled.

and me playing a musical instrument is illrelevent. them being able to does not mean they are gods or somthing.

JohnHKart
07-03-05, 09:02 AM

Can't agree more. The Who ended for me in July, 2002. I've seen some good reports lately about Plant's shows, but I'm pretty sure the guy can't cut it anymore. Now as for old geezers that can still cut the mustard, Mr. David Coverdale of Whitesnake still has the goods....and can easily wipe the floor with any of these old bastards. He positively burned the house down last weekend at the House of Blues in Hollywood. He's quit smoking, is in fantastic shape.....god bless ya David!

John

chop456
07-03-05, 10:24 AM
Should've had on XM

Was only in the car long enough to hear Madonna.

Sounded like someone dragging a bag of cats down a bumpy road. :gomer:

It's amazing that someone can make a career on being sexy and outrageous when they're a pasty, gap-toothed pig.

Sean O'Gorman
07-03-05, 11:11 AM
Now as for old geezers that can still cut the mustard, Mr. David Coverdale of Whitesnake still has the goods....and can easily wipe the floor with any of these old bastards. He positively burned the house down last weekend at the House of Blues in Hollywood. He's quit smoking, is in fantastic shape.....god bless ya David!

John

Can you really give credit to a guy for not dropping off in performance when he sucked in the first place? :laugh:

fourrunner
07-03-05, 01:37 PM
One of these days, a "classic" rock band will decide to "franchise" their band name and just keep replacing members long past when all the original members have died.

I'm sure a Classic Rock band will do it .... The Motown Group "The Temptations" have been doing it for years!! :eek:

JohnHKart
07-04-05, 07:42 PM
Can you really give credit to a guy for not dropping off in performance when he sucked in the first place? :laugh:

Well I probably don't like any of KROQ losers that can't sing that you like like REM and Depeche Mode.....David Coverdale has been a major influence on many vocalists that sing their asses off and has been an amazing songwriter and a legend in rock and roll that's been doing this for over 30 years. I don't like a lot of stuff but I'm not going to say they suck. He can still get on stage and kick total ass without being some bald and fat has been that can't sing anymore, (or worse be dead from a drug overdose) and that's all that matters.

John

TedN
07-04-05, 07:44 PM
Full set from Pink Floyd at Live-8. Bottom left hand corner, watch or save target as ...

www.Q107.com

Enjoy!

Ted

Insomniac
07-04-05, 08:06 PM
Well I probably don't like any of the new wave losers that can't sing that you like like REM and Depeche Mode.....David Coverdale has been a major influence on many vocalists that sing their asses off and has been an amazing songwriter and a legend in rock and roll that's been doing this for over 30 years. I don't like a lot of stuff but I'm not going to say they suck. He can still get on stage and kick total ass without being some bald and fat has been that can't sing anymore, (or worse be dead from a drug overdose) and that's all that matters.

John

R.E.M., new wave losers??? :flame:

chop456
07-04-05, 10:38 PM

They're no Whitesnake.

Ankf00
07-04-05, 10:52 PM

werd, lay off the Stipe, yo.

JohnHKart
07-04-05, 11:00 PM
New Wave is the wrong word.....Kroq, alt rock, whatever. Music tastes are like politics or what kind of women you like everybody has their own thing. Flame wars best avoided.

John

Insomniac
07-05-05, 08:37 AM
New Wave is the wrong word.....Kroq, alt rock, whatever. Music tastes are like politics or what kind of women you like everybody has their own thing. Flame wars best avoided.

John

It's not the new wave part. It's the loser part. 16 albums over almost 25 years. I understand it's not your taste in music, but they are far from losers. I can't stand country music, but I wouldn't call Garth Brooks a loser. I can respect that he makes (or did make?) good country music.

oddlycalm
07-05-05, 04:27 PM
and me playing a musical instrument is illrelevent. them being able to does not mean they are gods or somthing. What is relevant is that this is a "no politics" zone, something you choose to ignore on a semi-regular basis. Those of us wishing to engage in political discourse can be found at the following location: Political forum (http://www.politicalforum.com/)

I used to visit regularly but got banned for discussing Champcar racing... :gomer:

oc

eiregosod
07-05-05, 06:32 PM
I used to visit regularly but got banned for discussing Champcar racing... :gomer:

oc

Whoa Whoa Whoa. I thought you just got up and left :eek:

G.
07-05-05, 06:59 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa. I thought you just got up and left :eek:
he's joking.

chop456
08-04-05, 03:02 AM
Well I probably don't like any of KROQ losers that can't sing that you like like REM and Depeche Mode.....David Coverdale has been a major influence on many vocalists that sing their asses off and has been an amazing songwriter and a legend in rock and roll that's been doing this for over 30 years. I don't like a lot of stuff but I'm not going to say they suck. He can still get on stage and kick total ass without being some bald and fat has been that can't sing anymore, (or worse be dead from a drug overdose) and that's all that matters.

John

Well, I just heard what's apparently Coverdale's latest on Launchcast. "All in the name of love"(?) I honest to God thought it was a 1-800-Flowers commercial or something. I hope that's not the best song on the album.

JohnHKart
08-04-05, 05:08 AM
Well, I just heard what's apparently Coverdale's latest on Launchcast. "All in the name of love"(?) I honest to God thought it was a 1-800-Flowers commercial or something. I hope that's not the best song on the album.

That song is eight years old!!! His latest is five years old. There was some great stuff on the eight year old Restless Heart and also on the five year old Into the Light. There wasn't much high voice stuff, so it was nicer to hear his great lower register.

John