PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Greece

indyfan31
06-30-05, 12:10 PM
Since most of our vacations are based around marathons I asked Mrs. Indyfan31 to pick a place that has an intersting race and that SHE'd like to visit. As a result of that we're traveling to Greece in November (not a bad choice eh?).
Anyway, I've never been off this continent so I have no idea what's good and bad about one airline or another. However, I did find out that the UK based versions of Travelocity and Expedia are cheaper than their American counterparts. But I have questions such as: has anyone ever flown Alitalia or even Olympic Airlines? (Greek, honest). They seem to have the best rates and arrival times. Should I bother to rent a car in Athens? Do they use Euros? Where did you exchange your dollars, here or there?

These questions and MORE! I'd appreciate any help y'all can give this yankee.

eiregosod
06-30-05, 03:54 PM
I have never been to Greece. They do use the Euro there. if you're flying Alitalia, I assume that you'd be stopping over in Italy (which also uses the Euro) .

Beware comparing UK prices, as £1 is worth $2

Weather should be comfortable in Greece at that time.

indyfan31
06-30-05, 04:22 PM
Yeah, the prices really startled me at first, until I realized they were Pounds. Even after the conversion they are still over $100 less per person.

coolhand
06-30-05, 04:38 PM
Olympic is a good airline, but it is greek and probably is not run in a similar way as the western eruopean and American airlines. so expect different food and possibly a little tougher time for as an english only speaker.

Air France has cheap fairs right now because people are not going to france much recently. So connecting through paris is a possibility.

Also Luftansa throught frankfurt is the other. both good airlines with codesharing with american airlines. that way you can get miles out of this trip.

All i have been to in Greece is Athens which is has alot to see and some of the Greek islands.

mykonos
Santorini
and rhodes.

they are all best reached by cruise ship.

cameraman
06-30-05, 07:34 PM
Driving in Greece pretty much sucks and parking in Athens is close to impossible. They have added some type of traffic restrictions in Athens to try to reduce the numbers but I don't know the details. You will be able to drive & survive if you want but it is just plain frustrating especially if you do not know exactly where you are going (they don't believe in street signs). It is safe to say that the entire Greek population drives like a jackass. And gas costs more than gold.

Also you need to get an international driver's permit if you want to rent a car.

pfc_m_drake
06-30-05, 09:58 PM
But I have questions such as: has anyone ever flown Alitalia or even Olympic Airlines? (Greek, honest).

When I was in college, I had a real good friend who was from Greece...he always flew Alitalia. FWIW.

coolhand
07-01-05, 12:45 AM
Also you need to get an international driver's permit if you want to rent a car.

its called an American Drivers licence.

worked for me with hertz

CARTNUT
07-01-05, 03:22 AM
its called an American Drivers licence.

Where does one get an "American" Drivers licence?

I could only get one for California! ;)

'NUT :gomer:

Robstar
07-01-05, 03:24 AM
We have a Greek girl at work - she always flys Olympic... so I guess that says something (her family is loaded too, they just prefer it - or they're tightazzes hence the wealth :D )