PDA

View Full Version : Lamarie on a short leash

Railbird
03-09-03, 11:40 AM
Contract to be reviewed after four events.

Personaly I thought he did everything asked of him at St Pete with points earned and no shunt.

I just wonder if we'll see Salo get some seat time during their next test.

pchall
03-09-03, 12:21 PM
How could they be expecting out-of-the-box brilliance from a guy who was testing a bad F1 car for several years and running some ELMS races? It hardly seems fair considering the limited seat time he had in a champcar.

Ziggy
03-09-03, 12:32 PM
His helmet is cool looking as well. But in these FlavoFlav times, Mika Salo is ex EuroTrash, might even be as good as a F3000 driver. Knows where the hot babes and good resturants are as well

Ziggy

JT265
03-09-03, 01:10 PM
That poses a ton of questions, doesn't it? Like you said, he brought the car home in the points, but didn't show any speed. Was this because he is slow, or did they miss the set-up?

Maybe Salo gets the drive after all.

Railbird
03-09-03, 02:09 PM
some fairly vague bar talk about Lamarie's inability to provide feedback to supplement the data acquisition as the main reason. Apparently the engineering staff, also from the dregs of F1, is still coming to terms with the fact that the ChampCar's da systems are less capable than what they're used to.

Either that or they're just a bunch of euro wankers coming to the realization that racing in the back of a CART field is a hell of a lot tougher than slogging testing miles at Paul Ricard.

Spicoli
03-09-03, 02:10 PM
I was in the pit @ St. Petes Fri/Sat/Sun

I think it was the setup. They didn't look like they were real happy with the car, but were trying lots of tweaks. I think Lemarie is good, but 2 more races, and we'll know for sure. They did about what I expected in the first race.

One thing you can be sure of - Pollock didn't come to ChampCar to f*** around. I have big expectations from the team. They have the resources, and that will get you wins.

I also didn't see Kalkhoven around at all.

Railbird
03-09-03, 03:33 PM
They have the resources, and that will get you wins.

They have a fairly strong infrastructure with the old Pac West deal but I'm no longer convinced that they have anything close to the financial resources some think. The second seat will appear only when someone shows up with the finances and Pollock will be in Malaysia rather than Monterrey in a couple weeks trying to drum up more sponsorship.

mapguy
03-09-03, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
The second seat will appear only when someone shows up with the finances and Pollock will be in Malaysia rather than Monterrey in a couple weeks trying to drum up more sponsorship.

Yoong?

Railbird
03-09-03, 04:02 PM
Yoong?

I never heard the name mentioned but that would be the logical connection of the dots.

JT265
03-09-03, 04:35 PM
Yoong?

I never heard the name mentioned but that would be the logical connection of the dots.

Well, that would be a nice way of turning your high end, "we aren't here to f*** around" deal into a Dale Coyne wannabe rival.

Spicoli
03-09-03, 08:50 PM
They have the resources, and that will get you wins.

They have a fairly strong infrastructure with the old Pac West deal but I'm no longer convinced that they have anything close to the financial resources some think. The second seat will appear only when someone shows up with the finances and Pollock will be in Malaysia rather than Monterrey in a couple weeks trying to drum up more sponsorship.

Care to elaborate on why you think this way?

Railbird
03-09-03, 09:18 PM

Don't mind at all.

I have a buddy who has business dealings with Pollock, Lizzerd knows who I am talking about.

I broke the story about PKR .here (http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001690) December 11th and here (http://pwrracing.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61098&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=4) December 16th of last year.

Since that time I have received weekly updates.

Although I'll be the first to admit that my thoughts are shaped somewhat by my experience and opinion, I can assure you that they are based solidly on facts.

Spicoli
03-09-03, 09:36 PM

Don't mind at all.

I have a buddy who has business dealings with Pollock, Lizzerd knows who I am talking about.

I broke the story about PKR .here (http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001690) December 11th of last year.

Since that time I have received weekly updates.

Although I'll be the first to admit that my thoughts are shaped somewhat by my experience and opinion, I can assure you that they are based solidly on facts.

(My God. You had Wilke on that thread! I despise that thing......:barf: )

Anyway, BOT, I knew about the Pollock thing too, right about the same time, and was at the announcement at CART HQ. Pollock is a smooth operator and made quite the impression. I think we all had/have alot of expectations from such a team. Lemarie - well, I don't know enough about him to say after 1 race whether he will make it or not. So are you saying that Kalkhoven didn't bring the buckets of money that everyone assumed he did? If they needed Yooooong's $$$ why didn't they take it when he was shopping around?

And I read that Yoooooooong is driving Aussie V8s this year anyway....

Overall, I sure hope they are "Coyne-ing it".:saywhat:

Railbird
03-09-03, 09:56 PM
I've never heard Yoong's name mentioned, like I said it was just the logical connection of the dots.

KK brought a budget, just not an F1 budget. For a second car it is going to take some cash.

I still have to assume Salo gets the primary seat if Lamarie is given the hook.

Dr. Corkski
03-10-03, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Spicoli
One thing you can be sure of - Pollock didn't come to ChampCar to f*** around. I have big expectations from the team. They have the resources, and that will get you wins.So did BAR. How many wins do they have so far? :laugh:

The guy sucked in French F3, F3000, Atlantics, Indy Lights, and look how his great feedback did wonders for BAR. Guys like that don't usually just magically find a way to get better in CART. On top of that he doesn't even bring any money, so why not have a professional driver like Salo instead of the skiier?