PDA

View Full Version : Hope for NHL.....

devilmaster
06-28-05, 11:06 AM
A few things have happened here and there which lead me to believe that the NHL will be back this September.....

First off, was the language of the bargaining members on both sides. Their talk has lightened, disscussions of good progress, and a more upbeat discription of current talks.

The AHL affiliate to the Edm Oilers, the Roadrunners, asked the AHL to allow them to suspend operations for next year, and look for a new home for 2006. Their reasoning? Because they felt Northlands Coliseum (sorry, i don't do 'renamed' stadiums well ;) ) couldn't handle the logistics of both the NHL team and AHL team in the arena at the same time.

And now, an article with Jeremy Roenick. One who will never mince words and reporters love his rants (makes for easy writing). A guy who gives interviews like he plays hockey - doesn't hold anything back.

PRESTO, Pa. (AP) -- Philadelphia Flyers center Jeremy Roenick has some advice for hockey fans who blame the NHL lockout on players' greed: Once it's finally settled, stay home.

``We're going to try to make it better for everybody, period, end of subject. And if you don't realize that, then don't come,'' said Roenick, who spoke at a charity golf event he played in over the weekend.

``We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey,'' he said Saturday at the Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational in suburban Pittsburgh.

``I say personally, to everybody who called us 'spoiled,' you guys are just jealous ... we have tried so, so hard to get this game back on the ice,'' Roenick said.

Like New York Rangers right wing Jaromir Jagr, who came out last week and admitted that the union's gamble didn't pay off, Roenick said he doesn't think the players can get a good deal at this point.

``I know we are going to give up probably more than any union has ever given up in the history of (professional) sports and, to me, I think that's enough to bring the fans back -- to know what their players are going to give up as much as they have in the last year,'' Roenick said. ``If people are going to chastise professional athletes who are making a lot of money they need to look at the deal we are probably going to end up signing in the next three weeks.''

The questions now - will this new deal in turn save money for the fans? One of the most damning commentary on the game has been the amount of money it costs to bring a family of 4. Will this be enough to save the weak teams, or should they even be saved? Will the NHL turn into another NFL with teams signing players for 10 years then cutting them for salary reasons after 2 seasons, without the marketing power of the NFL? Can the NHL see a resurgence 5 to 10 years from now, like baseball has seen?

In the end, my biggest question to all - Can we please fire Bettman and Goodenow???? PLEASE?!?!?!?!?

Winston Wolfe
06-28-05, 11:51 AM
Once they are done with the agreement, I think the two "leaders" who got us all into this fine mess, should resign, and allow a "New Beginning" with the hiring of someone who can take hockey in North America into the new era.

Plus, I just cant stand to see Bettman's smug face any more !

extramundane
06-28-05, 12:01 PM
Once they are done with the agreement, I think the two "leaders" who got us all into this fine mess, should resign, and allow a "New Beginning" with the hiring of someone who can take hockey in North America into the new era.

I hear Tony George is tired of seeing American hockey players shut out by foreigners...

chop456
06-28-05, 12:08 PM
Excellent.

They'll be back just in time to discover that no one gives a rat's ass anymore. :thumbup:

tllips
06-28-05, 12:12 PM
The questions now - will this new deal in turn save money for the fans?

You're really funny. :laugh:

Nothing ever saves money for the fans. There will just be more for the owners' pockets. :shakehead

devilmaster
06-28-05, 12:12 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. But my cynical side knows that the owners basically got what they wanted, so Bettman, in most of the owners eyes, delivered on his basic promise to bust the union. That should guarantee him a few more years at the helm then leave 'quietly'.

I think Goodenow is pretty much gone the next time his contract comes up. I would also suspect that there is a big enough group of disgruntled players that will ask some hard questions before Trevor Linden becomes the head player rep again.

devilmaster
06-28-05, 12:13 PM
You're really funny. :laugh:

Nothing ever saves money for the fans. There will just be more for the owners' pockets. :shakehead

I know, but there is no 'dripping with sarcasm' font. ;)

dando
06-28-05, 12:38 PM
I'm usually a big JR fan, but JR should STFU when he rants about the fans. The players and owners need bend over and grab their ankles to get the fans back. Comments like this just make a bad situation worse. Cripes, they don't even have a broadcast partner lined up for the majority of the season. The joke of a deal w/NBC ain't gonna cut it. IF ESPN comes back, it'll be for a dime on the $. You watch.

And yes, both Goodenow and Bettman need to go once this is finished. Reportedly the deal will be signed by July 4th, but as with everything that happened with this labor farce, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm stuck with tix for next season, but I honestly don't know that I'll be back after that. It took me 7 years to go to a MLB game after '94, and I've been to a few since then. I have quibbles with taking it or leaving it.

-Kevin

JT265
06-28-05, 04:03 PM
Excellent.

They'll be back just in time to discover that no one gives a rat's ass anymore. :thumbup:

Chopper wins. I agree with Roenick abouit staying home and I will, as I'm willing to bet many fans are. Screw the NHL and every greedy bastard that's whining now that they can hardly afford valet parking for their Ferrari. Having watched a lot of these arrogant snotbags in the jumiors, suffice to say that if it wasn't for hockey, most of these brain surgeons would be organizing unions in the local Pizza Hut.

And as far a making a game affordable Steve, assbag Harold Ballard never put anything better than a Junior A squad on the ice in Toronto and sold out every game for 15 years. I doubt they will lower the $250/ea. ticket price anytime soon either.

Besides, without wheels and aero, it can't be a sport anyway, it's just merely a game. :p

CART T. Katz
06-28-05, 04:37 PM
i have an opinion on this BUT i'm not going to share it until i have heard all the interview. most of what i have seen and heard were jr telling the fans to stay home. i think what i'm thinking is what he's thinking, but i want to make sure.

dando
06-28-05, 04:52 PM
i have an opinion on this BUT i'm not going to share it until i have heard all the interview. most of what i have seen and heard were jr telling the fans to stay home. i think what i'm thinking is what he's thinking, but i want to make sure.
Watch it instead:

linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/motion/echo/index?campaign=motion&source=splashbutton&id=2095641&category=Motion%20on%20Demand&subcategory=NHL)

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-28-05, 08:52 PM
Roenick can eat my ass, no one gives 2 flips anymore. Losing money? DUDE, NO ONE WATCHES THE SPORT IN THE FIRST PLACE, THERE'S NO REVENUE, HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT TO MAKE THAT MONEY?

and now us real fans barely care anymore...

devilmaster
06-30-05, 10:25 AM
Another sign today of the impending deal.....

Hockey Canada announces the invitees to an Olympic hockey camp. The olympic involvement has been a source of contention for the negotiators. If they didn't get a deal done, NHL players were not going to play at Turin.

But at my favorite sports news site, TSN.ca.....

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story.asp?id=129234

Canada's team will mostly consist from this group of guys.....

Goaltenders:
Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Jose Theodore
Marty Turco

Defence:
Rob Blake
Jay Bouwmeester
Dan Boyle
Eric Brewer
Adam Foote
Scott Hannan
Ed Jovanovski
Scott Niedermayer
Chris Phillips
Chris Pronger
Wade Redden
Robyn Regehr

Forwards:
Shane Doan
Kris Draper
Simon Gagne
Dany Heatley
Jarome Iginla
Vincent Lecavalier
Mario Lemieux
Kirk Maltby
Patrick Marleau
Brenden Morrow
Rick Nash
Michael Peca
Keith Primeau
Brad Richards
Joe Sakic
Ryan Smyth
Martin St. Louis
Alex Tanguay
Joe Thornton
Steve Yzerman

tllips
06-30-05, 11:03 AM
Also, the Blackhawks are finding it necessary to get their coaching situation straightened out within the next week.

Most likely Trent Yawney.

dando
06-30-05, 01:07 PM
The deal is imminent. The word on the street here in Cbus has the CBJ's filling open staff positions. Also, I read that the All* game may not happen in '06 so that the NHLers can play in Turin. Prolly a good idea, but it delays the All* game date for Cbus. :(

Oh, and even after JR clarified his comments, he can kiss my @zz. :mad:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
06-30-05, 05:52 PM
Here's an excellent source. (http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/) The guy's well-connected, and was interviewed on Jim Rome awhile back. Also, scroll down for his take (a bit different than others) on Roenick.

devilmaster
06-30-05, 06:29 PM
Wow.... neat link. Thanks Truthy (you can tell i'm getting back into hockey mode.... i'm putting a y on last names again ;) )

Ankf00
06-30-05, 07:50 PM
NHwhat? oh those goofy canadians with the sticks... that's right...

screw that.

What: Texas @ Ohio State
Where: Columbus, Ohio
When: September 10th, 2005, 8PM EDT
Why: to see me and dando arrested on national TV
Who: Vince Young, AJ Hawk

dando
06-30-05, 07:54 PM

screw that.

How many days? :drools:

Oh, and the answer = 72 (you can put yer shoes back on f00boy). :p

-Kevin

Racing Truth
06-30-05, 07:56 PM

screw that.

:laugh: I am so READY for 9/10/05, "The Day Ankf00 left Columbus in shame. Well, after he got drunk anyway." :laugh:

devilmaster
06-30-05, 07:57 PM
I've heard what he said before and after. I understand what he said and feels, but I think his anger is misplaced, and should be directed towards the NHLPA and his fellow players.
-Kevin

Legace did that today too......

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129256

Ankf00
06-30-05, 08:02 PM
How many days? :drools:

Oh, and the answer = 72 (you can put yer shoes back on f00boy). :p

-Kevin

[midget from Bad Santa voice] you ho, I was solving partial differentials as a zygote while you were out giving yourself cooties shots on the playground. :p [/midget from Bad Santa voice]

and w00t Legace, he has brains, which is funny seeing as he's a goalie :D

dando
06-30-05, 08:24 PM
Legace did that today too......

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129256

Asked if Goodenow is to blame, Legace said, ''It's not just him, it's the whole (executive) committee.''

Funny. That should read (explitive) committee. :) G figger...a G gets it. 2/3s of the players should be lynching the NHLPA leadership. :shakehead

Sorry, JR....yer bros. screwed up. Suck it up and move on.

-Kevin

dando
06-30-05, 08:27 PM
[midget from Bad Santa voice] you ho, I was solving partial differentials as a zygote while you were out giving yourself cooties shots on the playground. :p [/midget from Bad Santa voice]

and w00t Legace, he has brains, which is funny seeing as he's a goalie :D
Interesting that you would quote Bad Santa...I envision you as a cross between the elfage and Harold/Kumar. :p

72 and counting.....

-Kevin

dando
06-30-05, 08:29 PM
:laugh: I am so READY for 9/10/05, "The Day Ankf00 left Columbus in shame. Well, after he got drunk anyway." :laugh:
d00d, there will be a new meaning to cow tipping once the Bucks are done w/the hornage. :gomer: :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-30-05, 08:34 PM
don't worry, I'll bring enough burnt orange shirts for all y'all tools :p

dando
06-30-05, 08:40 PM
don't worry, I'll bring enough burnt orange shirts for all y'all tools :p
Burnt. Orange. How fitting. :gomer:

Now, back on topic....Rick Nash is THE. REAL. DEAL. period. He may be the only saving grace to keep my interest in the NHL.

-Kevin

CART T. Katz
06-30-05, 09:39 PM

Now, back on topic....Rick Nash is THE. REAL. DEAL. period. He may be the only saving grace to keep my interest in the NHL.

-Kevin

at cleveland on saturday the columbus blow jackets (i didn't make that one up, one of the people who went to the race came up with that one) were out signing people up for something. as i was passing by the first time, i couldn't help but let out a "lets go AVALANCHE". :p ceebeejay bashing should be a paid competitive sporting event. ;)

speaking of rick nash, the gm in nhl 2004 (2005 sucks teh big one in terms of progressing from year to year, i couldn't dust it off to fix my hockey jones last year) for the ceebeejays is one of the stupidest gms in all the league. i attempted to trade some late round draft picks and a warm body for rick nash. with cpu approval turned on. TRADE ACCEPTED.

i think the ceebeejays may just become my personal farm team :cool:

/we now return you to your previous ceebeejay bashing already in progress

DjDrOmusic
06-30-05, 10:20 PM

-Kevin
Rick Nash came to one of my shows and even gave me an autographed puck....then I asked him who he was!! It wasn't meant to be an insult, I had no idea he played for the home team....but then again I'm a Sabres and Lightning fan!! ;)

devilmaster
07-01-05, 12:41 PM
Most everything I've been reading says that the deal should be done next week, or the week after....

I'm also hearing rumours they will revamp the NHL so much, there may be a new NHL logo..... :shakehead

Expected new rules may include:

tag up offside
net moved back 2 feet for more ice in front of the net
smaller pads and gear for goalies
a new version of icing
shootouts - with a real crazy 4 on 4 for 4 min, the a 3 on 3 for 3 min then the shootout
some version of no red line
possibility of a defensive zone penalty for playing the trap
a different point system - 3 points for a win, no points for an overtime or shootout loss
more penalties.

CART T. Katz
07-01-05, 01:17 PM
my opinion:

tag-up offsides and two line passes are going to make for very exciting up and down games
i have no problem with ties. i can enjoy a goalie duel as well as a wide open game. eliminating ties to go with a winner seems gimmickish to me for a sport with a history of having tie games
i hope these changes don't make for an overly offensive game. high scores are nice, but constant high scoring games gets old ala constant close finishes for the crapwagons.

JoeBob
07-01-05, 02:16 PM
Take the NCAA rules (including the various rink sizes, but without the required face shields) apply 'em to the NHL, and be done with it.