PDA

View Full Version : Discuss...

Racing Truth
06-27-05, 07:31 PM
This. (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15109.html) Now, reading it, I see a bizarro-MarkC quality to it.

Make up your own minds.

RTKar
06-27-05, 09:59 PM
"...it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that Mario Illien and his longtime partner Roger Penske, a major player in IRL, are just in the process of moving elements of Ilmor Engineering to new premises in Brixworth in England and within weeks this will be fully independent of the Mercedes-Benz F1 project. This will be perfectly positioned to build engines for IRL in 2006, perhaps badged by another manufacturer, such as Hyundai."

Well, there won't be the biggie mfg. budgets propping up teams nor the series for that matter, better yet, imagine Foyt buying engines from Penske.

coolhand
06-27-05, 10:14 PM
imagine Foyt buying engines from Penske.

then complianing his enigne does not ahve enough power :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-27-05, 10:18 PM
That article and this thread illustrate what's wrong with racing. From 1960-1995 I just loaded up the cooler and went to the track. It was fun. It was an escape from daily life. It was a leisure time activity. Since 1995 when FTG had his brainstorm, racing is about the same as reading the Wall Street Journal and it sucks.

indyfan31
06-27-05, 10:59 PM
This. (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15109.html) Now, reading it, I see a bizarro-MarkC quality to it.

Make up your own minds.

Is MarkC in high school? It reads like it was written by a 10th grader. :shakehead

RTKar
06-27-05, 11:12 PM
That article and this thread illustrate what's wrong with racing. From 1960-1995 I just loaded up the cooler and went to the track. It was fun. It was an escape from daily life. It was a leisure time activity. Since 1995 when FTG had his brainstorm, racing is about the same as reading the Wall Street Journal and it sucks.

I agree wholeheartedly but with the media what it is, not to mention the net, we are much more informed and information is "discussed" and rehashed like it never was before. There has ALWAYS been controversy and issues surrounding motor racing, especially at the speedway, it's the nature of the sport but since it's become mfg oriented and the dollars waged tremendous, the depth of the issues cannot be swept aside as readily as they once may have been nor will they go unnoticed.

Andrew Longman
06-27-05, 11:36 PM

Nailed it.

Politics and silly season have always been part of the sport, but now it IS the sport of OW racing and it turns off millions of fans. NASCAR gives the casual fan so much less to think about that has little to do with racing. People want to watch their parents argue only a little less than watching the politics play out in their favorite sport.

Wally
06-27-05, 11:53 PM
What Methanolandbrats said......sad but true. :shakehead

Oh and huck fonda and robert clarke......

Sean O'Gorman
06-27-05, 11:57 PM
I think I started getting frustrated with the state of the sport around 2001, and just plain disillusioned with professional auto racing about two years later.

With every passing weekend, I lose more and more interest in watching this stuff, I just haven't figured out if it is because the racing changed or because I changed.

Jag_Warrior
06-27-05, 11:58 PM
Is MarkC in high school? It reads like it was written by a 10th grader. :shakehead

You must really dislike 10th graders, huh?

:D

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-05, 12:06 AM

,,,just,,,rememer,,,it,,,could,,,be,,,worse,,,

mapguy
06-28-05, 12:13 AM

:thumbup:

Not bad for someone who drives a poor man's phallic symbol....

coolhand
06-28-05, 12:24 AM

oh Lord, i cannot read that mans stuff

but with MArkC you can expect a cogent article

Racing Truth
06-28-05, 03:37 PM
Nailed it.

Politics and silly season have always been part of the sport, but now it IS the sport of OW racing and it turns off millions of fans. NASCAR gives the casual fan so much less to think about that has little to do with racing. People want to watch their parents argue only a little less than watching the politics play out in their favorite sport.

Meth and Andrew nailed it perfectly. Say what you will about NASCAR, but at least their focus, over the last 10-15 yrs., has been on the track, not politics. Say you're something of a "car guy/gal," who kind of enjoys racing. Are they going to chose NASCAR or OW?

oddlycalm
06-29-05, 01:01 AM
That article and this thread illustrate what's wrong with racing. From 1960-1995 I just loaded up the cooler and went to the track. It was fun. Damn right, and my biggie challenge involved scheduling my business trips to coincide with the maximum number of races each season and making sure I paid attention to the various dates tickets went on sale so that I could make sure to have enough good tickets for my customers. TG took care of most of it and the economy took care of my entertainment budget.

Edit - The economy also pretty much took care of most of the customers I used to get tickets for. Between early retirements, plant closures and out sourcing, the number of people I used to take to the races that are still in the same jobs can be counted on my fingers these days. :(

oc

FanofMario
06-29-05, 08:53 AM
With every passing weekend, I lose more and more interest in watching this stuff, I just haven't figured out if it is because the racing changed or because I changed.

My sentiments exactly. :(

mueber
06-29-05, 10:22 AM

While I agree with the sentiment, I'm trying to force myself to go to the races in the same way I always have. I don't like the way things are, but I can't do anything about it, and yearning for the good old days isn't going to help.

G.
06-29-05, 12:14 PM
since the hijack is complete...

I guess that I am perfectly positioned to keep the fires burning. Did I really want to drive 1.5 hrs. to the Mile while tired and sorta hung-over? Yes and no. Did I really want to spend the day in the infield with the oldest g. at a race (and meet some of you)? You betcha!

Do it for the children, I guess.

And oh, BTW, I loved it.

Methanolandbrats
06-29-05, 01:08 PM
While I agree with the sentiment, I'm trying to force myself to go to the races in the same way I always have. I don't like the way things are, but I can't do anything about it, and yearning for the good old days isn't going to help. I'm not yearning for the good ol' days. I'm glad I experienced the early 90's, because that was probably the highpoint and it's not ever going to get that good again. I still go to the track, but that does'snt mean I don't understand that a handful of stupid, greedy *******s have turned motorsports into a political contest.

Jag_Warrior
07-05-05, 08:49 PM
I'm trying to force myself to go to the races in the same way I always have.

With all that goes on in the day-to-day, it gets harder & harder to convince myself that I'm in a good mood when I get to the track. I agree with Meth. I'm happy I was around to see what the glory days were like for CART IndyCar. I'm sorry, but that's what it was called when it brought the biggest smile to my face and that's how I still think of it... before some substance abusing son of a...

I gotta go.

Sean O'Gorman
07-05-05, 09:06 PM
I've found that part of my loss of interest in spectating has been it is so much more fun to actually drive at events.

As a spectator at a road racing, I basically mean nothing. At an autocross I'm on equal terms with pretty much everyone there, and on a good day, slightly better. ;)

Having the money to actually get on a road course can't come soon enough. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
07-05-05, 09:11 PM
I've found that part of my loss of interest in spectating has been it is so much more fun to actually drive at events.

As a spectator at a road racing, I basically mean nothing. At an autocross I'm on equal terms with pretty much everyone there, and on a good day, slightly better. ;)

Having the money to actually get on a road course can't come soon enough. :thumbup:Worthless wannabe. :rolleyes: