PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland coverage

G.
06-27-05, 12:43 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the broadcast. All of it.

Pre-show concentrated on the driver (seabass) and team. They even got the Whinedretti to comment on NHRacing.

Daly only one "well, well, well" that I heard, and it fit the situation (CdM crash, I think).

Video crapped out for a while, they tried to keep us up on what was happening.

Fading out to commercial with RocknRoll HoF bands doing auto/competition related songs was very cool, I thought. Some will hate it I'm sure. ;)

Most important, there was great action on the track! Leader gets punted ( :( ) last minute splash-n-go 's, bouncing cars in super-slo-mo, etc.

Great show!

Sean O'Gorman
06-27-05, 01:35 PM
Pre-show concentrated on the driver (seabass) and team. They even got the Whinedretti to comment on NHRacing.

What did Whindretti say? I taped the race (haven't watched it yet) but cut out the first 30 minutes because I had to save room on the tape for both Atlantics races from Portland and both World Challenge races, and wasn't hope to change tapes.

mueber
06-27-05, 02:39 PM
As for me, I'd rather have more racing and less human interest. The race could have gone the distance if we didn't spend so much of the broadcast time getting all warm and fuzzy, but I understand why things are the way they are.

Racing Truth
06-27-05, 02:52 PM
See, I thought Daly was terrible myself. He botched the Turn 1 incident, as he kept blaming Bremmer for it. It couldn't possibly have been a Hunter-Christ brainfade, could it? :gomer:

Daly aside, the overall quality is excellent. :thumbup:

Winston Wolfe
06-27-05, 03:17 PM
Overall, coverage was better than before, and Cleveland is such a good track to see all of the action going on at almost the same time...

It was cool that they were following cars a turn or two ahead, which passed through the camera, then in the background the cameraman picked up on a rapidly closing "stoopid" Mario closing on the HVM car, and he launched himself over the rear tire.... :D

I also enjoyed the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" music selections prior to each break for commercial.... I like how the announcers "shut up" for 30 secs, while you just hear music and see the cars.... :thumbup:

Overall, I enjoyed the broadcast and would like to have see more in car stuff, because Cleveland is such a fast track, with very few reference points, as was pointed out by Mr. Daly.....

Keep up the good work !

CARTNUT
06-27-05, 04:14 PM
I also thought the broadcast was great! The only thing that started to get to me a little toward the end was Rick Benjamin's DJ voice. And I pretty much have liked him in the past but I think he may just need to lay off the caffiene a bit during the race.

dando
06-27-05, 05:13 PM
Once again, TeeVee screwed the fans @ the track. It would have take ~5 minutes off the post-race coverage to finish the race. :shakehead So the fans @ the track get treated to not only a shortened race, but no little celebration on the track so thet PT could go directly to the podium. The donuts in T1 were visible by ~10% of the fans that were in attendance. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
06-27-05, 05:57 PM
The donuts in T1 were visible by ~10% of the fans that were in attendance. :thumdown:

But that's what they brought the drifters for. :gomer: ;)

Insomniac
06-27-05, 06:27 PM
Once again, TeeVee screwed the fans @ the track. It would have take ~5 minutes off the post-race coverage to finish the race. :shakehead So the fans @ the track get treated to not only a shortened race, but no little celebration on the track so thet PT could go directly to the podium. The donuts in T1 were visible by ~10% of the fans that were in attendance. :thumdown:

-Kevin

That's a shame. The TV window was quite big too. We had a half hour+ of filler before the race got underway.

JohnHKart
06-27-05, 07:27 PM
That's a shame. The TV window was quite big too. We had a half hour+ of filler before the race got underway.

They could have easily cut the human interest at the beginning to ten minutes as CBS does with Formula One broadcasts and then we would have got the whole race. I do understand they are trying to build interest, but for me it's all about the racing and I could not really care less about profiles and stories. I fast (oops DVD now) jump forward to the green flag then I go back and watch if there's anything interesting in the beginning. Why cut off laps from the most important thing, the race, and then have no time for victory lane?

John

cameraman
06-27-05, 07:35 PM
They could have easily cut the human interest at the beginning to ten minutes as CBS does with Formula One broadcasts and then we would have got the whole race. I do understand they are trying to build interest, but for me it's all about the racing and I could not really care less about profiles and stories. I fast (oops DVD now) jump forward to the green flag then I go back and watch if there's anything interesting in the beginning. Why cut off laps from the most important thing, the race, and then have no time for victory lane?

John

If they had started at 12:45 instead of 1:00 they would have had a two hour window with 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after or more if the race took less than 120 minutes. The only reason I can think of that they don't do that is the international feeds are only 2 hours and they start on the hour.

dando
06-27-05, 07:51 PM
But that's what they brought the drifters for. :gomer: ;)
You stick around in the >90 degree frying pan to watch dat **** then. :p

-Kevin

dando
06-27-05, 07:53 PM
If they had started at 12:45 instead of 1:00 they would have had a two hour window with 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after or more if the race took less than 120 minutes. The only reason I can think of that they don't do that is the international feeds are only 2 hours and they start on the hour.
Actually it started @ 2. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
06-27-05, 08:05 PM
You stick around in the >90 degree frying pan to watch dat **** then. :p

-Kevin

Yeah I don't think you'll be seeing that from me anytime soon.

My dad went to the track on Saturday for the Trans-Am race (he lost interest in open wheel years ago) and stuck around for the drifting. He thought it was goofy, but entertaining. Where did I go wrong? :shakehead

CART T. Katz
06-27-05, 08:42 PM
speaking of tv, there was no kangarootv for this race, so some big diamondvision screens or jumbotrons in the relatively safe areas of the track would have really been helpful.

an fm dedicated station of the pa would have been cool too. just some minor inconvieniences to an overall very enjoyable race weekend.

Napoleon
06-27-05, 09:10 PM
speaking of tv, there was no kangarootv for this race, so some big diamondvision screens or jumbotrons in the relatively safe areas of the track would have really been helpful.

At the fan forum Rena Shanaman (sp?) said they wanted them there, and saved them a space until late, but they had signed their license agreement to use whatever they have to license in the last week or so. They will be at other tracks.

dando
06-27-05, 09:21 PM

an fm dedicated station of the pa would have been cool too. just some minor inconvieniences to an overall very enjoyable race weekend.
Agreed. Despite the fact that most of the track is visible, a jumbo or two would have been nice. I was also surprised that there weren't any scanner rentals available. :confused:

-Kevin

TravelGal
06-27-05, 10:36 PM
I was also surprised that there weren't any scanner rentals available. :confused:

-Kevin

I haven't seen scanner rentals in a while. Granted I only go to a couple of races a year. It has seemed to me that as soon as Kangaroo TV really came in, the scanners went out.

Insomniac
06-28-05, 11:26 AM
Double Post.

Insomniac
06-28-05, 11:28 AM

That is a very good point. And makes perfect sense why they couldn't/didn't start the race 15 minutes earlier. I sometimes forget other people outside of the US can see these races. (and they might actually pay for broadcast rights)