PDA

View Full Version : How bout stoopid Marshall

spinner26
06-26-05, 04:35 PM
Hey wanker here comes the leader, get the hell outa the way! :flame:

KLang
06-26-05, 07:24 PM
da Matta says:

"I didn't see any blue flags," da Matta observed. "He hit me on the left front. The problem was I think Marcus was letting Glock by because I closed on them quite a lot on the front straight. When Glock went into the corner Marcus followed him but kind of ran wide to the outside. He ran wide and went off-line. I went into the corner right behind Glock but as I turned there was no air and my car just pushed and pushed. If Marcus wasn't there I would have made it, but he was coming back to the line and we collided. Poof! My left front corner was gone.

I don't think the stoopid tag applies just yet.

Napoleon
06-26-05, 08:44 PM
Well I saw this post, and thought since I was at the race should look at the tape before responding, in case it made a difference. It did not.

I do not know where KLang got that quote, but it is largely accurate, but for Da Matta saying “He hit me”. Da Matta plowed into him from behind.

When I looked at that corner, it was within a second before the incident occured. Marcus either: 1) had a mechanical problem or 2) had overshot. Marcus was clearly unusually slower then Glock at that point. It was not a typical letting a guy by who was faster. Something had happened.

So Marcus is off line, Glock goes by and then Marcus was heading through the corner and DeMatta cranked him from behind. It really looked to me that Da Matta simply failed to anticipate either 1) his closing speed on Marcus or 2) that Marcus was not pulling off and was continuing around.

KLang
06-26-05, 08:51 PM
I do not know where KLang got that quote, but it is largely accurate, but for Da Matta saying “He hit me”. Da Matta plowed into him from behind.

Oops, my bad: Champ Car link (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9236)

With the quote above and Cristiano's TV interview after the incident I really don't think he is blaming Marshall.

dando
06-26-05, 08:56 PM
Well I saw this post, and thought since I was at the race should look at the tape before responding, in case it made a difference. It did not.

I was there and I saw what you saw. However, the quote from Shorty is available here:

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/17865/

Proving yet again why he is regarded as a gentleman and a racer, Cristiano da Matta pointed the finger at himself in the wake of a coming-together with Marcus Marshall that resulted in his retirement and, likely, a second consecutive race win.

The incident occured on Lap 50 when da Matta came up to lap the cars of Marshall and Timo Glock in Turn Nine at the end of the back straightaway. Glock outbraked Marshall into the turn, forcing the Team Australia car into the marbles. Closing on the two cars a little faster than he anticipated, da Matta turned into the corner . . . to no avail.

“I was getting close to Marcus and Timo,” da Matta explained. “They went into the corner side by side and Marcus went onto the marbles and ran a little wide. I was pretty close. I was done with my braking and I turned into the corner but there was no air on my front wing. I went straight and hit Marcus in the left rear with my right front.

“It was just one of those stupid racing incidents. It can happen to anyone. Unfortunately, it happened to me today.”

His comments surprised me, too. I really didn't see Glock in T10, as I was looking down the the back straight for the leaders. I only caught CDM moving up FAST on Marshall, and the contact. :(

-Kevin

Ziggy
06-26-05, 09:35 PM
Ok, I will say it

Marcus Marshall is a rank amature. I watched him at Long Beach, and I watched him at Milwaukee. He does not de$erve to be on the same racetrack as the front of a Champcar field.

Money talks, and clowns like Marcus Marshall keep finding there way into Champcar grids.

FCYTravis
06-26-05, 11:12 PM
But, but, but, he's from Australia and has "TEAM AUSTRALIA" all over the car... I thought that was the future of Champ Car :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
06-27-05, 12:17 AM
Marcus Marshall doesn't have the talent to be able attempt anything stupid with a Champ Car.

Opposite Lock
06-27-05, 12:52 AM
Slightly different wording in David Phillip's article:

"I was getting close to Marcus and Timo,” da Matta explained. “They went into the corner side by side and Marcus went onto the marbles and ran a little wide. I was pretty close. I was done with my braking and I turned into the corner but there was no air on my front wing. I went straight and hit Marcus in the left rear with my right front."

Phillips SPEED article (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/17865/)

I turned my head towards that turn just in time to see Da Matta catch air, so I can't judge his closing speed or their relative lines. But he didn't appear to be irate as he got out of the car, as one might expect he would had he been blatantly mugged.

Fio1
06-27-05, 01:20 AM
With so many good drivers in Australia, how did he end up with that ride? Anyways, de Matta is a stand up guy, he calls it like it is. :cool:

Jervis Tetch 1
06-27-05, 02:48 AM
David Besnard should be in that car.

Anteater
06-28-05, 11:40 AM
But he didn't appear to be irate as he got out of the car, as one might expect he would had he been blatantly mugged.

CdM was pretty upset at the time of the impact, though--my husband and I had him set as the primary channel on our scanner, and he cut loose with a four-syllable expletive as his car bounded across the grass! When we caught up with him in the paddock later, though, he was philosophical about the incident, saying that the good news is that he has a good car now. He also thanked us for our support. :cool: :thumbup:

coolhand
06-28-05, 01:50 PM
Marhsall should be out and Haberfeld should be in that seat.

Imagine how competitve that team would be.

Tag is in the top 8 in alot of sessions