PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car makes changes to Cleveland start

coolhand
06-25-05, 02:28 PM
The Champ Car World Series took steps to decrease the likelihood of a first-turn, first-lap incident in Cleveland Saturday, announcing a new start procedure for Sunday’s Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland Presented by U.S. Bank.

A barrel will be placed in the center of Burke Lakefront Airport’s front stretch for the first lap of tomorrow’s 94-lap event, directing drivers to the left side of the strip that leads into the treacherous first turn. The move opens up the radius of the first corner for drivers and will remove the temptation for drivers to dive up the inside, or right side, of the runway – a move that usually results in contact in the corner.

In addition, drivers will line up left of the yellow centerline leading into the first turn, with a drive-through penalty given to any drivers that puts a tire over the yellow line on the opening lap. The Champ Car Stewards will review and decide on any incidents where a car is forced to the right of the line.

Drivers will still be able to fan out four-wide at the entrance to the turn during the race start, as is the custom in Cleveland. The barrel will be removed, along with all restrictions concerning the center line, after the first lap of the race. Sunday’s Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland Presented by U.S. Bank will take the green flag at 2 p.m. The event can be seen live on CBS Sports beginning at 2 p.m. Eastern Tim

TravelGal
06-25-05, 03:41 PM
So is this a good thing? I suppose so for the sake the metal and fibre involved but on first impression, it sounds like dumbing down the race to me. Knowledgeable racers, what say ye?

CARTNUT
06-25-05, 03:47 PM
Time for STANDING STARTS!

Racing Truth
06-25-05, 03:54 PM
So is this a good thing? I suppose so for the sake the metal and fibre involved but on first impression, it sounds like dumbing down the race to me. Knowledgeable racers, what say ye?

I think its teh suck, but understandable. Turn 1 at Burke is one of those turns we all look forward to, but given Open-Wheel racing's current state, you don't want teams having to replace a bunch of cars.

Insomniac
06-25-05, 04:47 PM
This rule is for you Tagliani!

nissan gtp
06-25-05, 05:27 PM
sounds like a stoopid idea :thumdown:

this ain't barrel racing

Joelski
06-25-05, 05:32 PM
This rule is for you Tagliani!

EXACTLY!!! :thumbup:

coolhand
06-25-05, 06:51 PM
what would happen to these cars if they hit that barrel? :eek:

pchall
06-25-05, 07:15 PM
sounds like a stoopid idea :thumdown:

this ain't barrel racing

They tried the same thing with orange marker cones a number of years ago. It didn't help one bit -- there are always a few idiots who think the race can be won in Turn 1 on Lap 1.

pfc_m_drake
06-25-05, 07:20 PM
They tried the same thing with orange marker cones a number of years ago. It didn't help one bit -- there are always a few idiots who think the race can be won in Turn 1 on Lap 1.
Quoted for truth.

Insomniac
06-25-05, 10:17 PM

I think the hope this time is with the penalty they won't go inside the yellow line (or the barrel). I wouldn't mind a clean start like at Portland. We'll see tomorrow. :)

nrc
06-25-05, 10:57 PM
:thumdown:

Didn't they try this once before with cones? Didn't that generate just as big a mess as ever?

Mike Lawler
06-25-05, 11:50 PM
what would happen to these cars if they hit that barrel? :eek:

Think about the excellent TV coverage with a camera mounted to the barrel.... hay what about an idiot cameraman inside?

Ankf00
06-25-05, 11:56 PM
this time the entire field has to stick to one side, as opposed to before they seperated both ailes cars with those cones correct?

Methanolandbrats
06-25-05, 11:58 PM
It is becoming very difficult to follow this series.

Insomniac
06-26-05, 12:33 AM
It is becoming very difficult to follow this series.

Because they put a barrel on the course to avoid losing 4 cars in Turn 1?

Fio1
06-26-05, 01:53 AM
Why don't they just start them on the back straight?

KLang
06-26-05, 08:43 AM
They re-configured the 1st turn at Portland and I don't recall anyone complaining. The change worked perfectly at Portland. At Cleveland they aren't in the position to change the runways or taxiways so they are trying something different for just the opening lap. Guess we'll know the results in a couple hours.

trish
06-26-05, 02:02 PM
First turn not too bad. You still got your mini "big one" for those who watch for the crashes. :)

Rob
06-26-05, 02:18 PM
They decided not to use the barrel idea for the race after all.

nrc
06-26-05, 10:14 PM
Fortunately they thought better of the idea after it evidently helped create an incident in turn one for the first Atlantic race.

Ankf00
06-26-05, 10:45 PM
large massive projectiles on course are probably a bad idea :)

Dr. Corkski
06-27-05, 12:38 AM
Fortunately they thought better of the idea after it evidently helped create an incident in turn one for the first Atlantic race.http://www.toyotaatlantic.com/Content/Photos/2005/By400/20050625P_0011.jpg
http://www.toyotaatlantic.com/Content/Photos/2005/By400/20050625P_0005.jpg

Most of these guys have been racing long enough to know you can't win a race on the first lap. Looked like most of the Champ Car field realized that.