PDA

View Full Version : Valiante out / Marques in at DCR.

Wheel-Nut
06-23-05, 10:52 AM
:shakehead Is this a who has the most money type of deal?? You would think Dale would want some sort of stability in his team.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/17786/

Turn7
06-23-05, 11:39 AM
No.

Tarso is the only person other than Servia to put a Coyne car in the top 10.
Think back to Houston 1999 or 2K, he put the Swift chassis on the podium. Something of a feat that others couldn't do.

KLang
06-23-05, 11:45 AM
7th at Fontana in 2000 and 9th at Rio in 1999.

stats (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Drivers/Performance.asp?Year=2004&DriverID=184)

I don't get it either. 11th at Portland for Valiante seems OK for his first time out in the car. :confused:

Rob
06-23-05, 11:49 AM
No.

Think back to Houston 1999 or 2K, he put the Swift chassis on the podium. Something of a feat that others couldn't do.
Wasn't Moreno on the podium at Michigan one year? And don't forget about Barron's superb drive at Surfers a few years back when he nearly won it.

Ed_Severson
06-23-05, 12:22 PM
No.

Huh? WTF are you talking about?

Marques never even sniffed a podium in his time in Champ Car. Last year, he finished DFL or next to it in every race he ran. For God's sake, he even managed to wreck a car with a tow rope -- something that he should be intimately familiar with by now.

And, for the record, aside from Marques and Servia, these drivers also have put Coyne in the top 10 in at least one race:

Gaston Mazzacane
Joel Camathias
Alex Yoong
Geoff Boss
Gualter Salles
Darren Manning
Memo Gidley
Alex Barron
Michel Jourdain, Jr.
Dennis Vitolo
Roberto Moreno
Hiro Matsushita
Eric Bachelart
Alessandro Zampedri
Robbie Buhl
Buddy Lazier

Remind us again how great an idea this is, please. :shakehead

Insomniac
06-23-05, 12:26 PM
Huh? WTF are you talking about?

Marques never even sniffed a podium in his time in Champ Car. Last year, he finished DFL or next to it in every race he ran. For God's sake, he even managed to wreck a car with a tow rope -- something that he should be intimately familiar with by now.

And, for the record, aside from Marques and Servia, these drivers also have put Coyne in the top 10 in at least one race:

Gaston Mazzacane
Joel Camathias
Alex Yoong
Geoff Boss
Gualter Salles
Darren Manning
Memo Gidley
Alex Barron
Michel Jourdain, Jr.
Dennis Vitolo
Roberto Moreno
Hiro Matsushita
Eric Bachelart
Alessandro Zampedri
Robbie Buhl
Buddy Lazier

Remind us again how great an idea this is, please. :shakehead

Coyne has to do what he has to do. I wish a potential up and comer stayed in the seat, but Coyne needs the money too.

Also, the tow rope wasn't Tarso's fault. The saftey crew messed that one up.

Ed_Severson
06-23-05, 12:28 PM
I understand that Coyne needs the money, but that's no excuse for pretending like Marques is God's gift to race driving.

I hope Dale's getting a load of money for this, because if he isn't, he's likely to wind up going in the hole buying new parts every weekend with this knucklehead behind the wheel.

devilmaster
06-23-05, 12:58 PM
I hope Dale's getting a load of money for this, because if he isn't, he's likely to wind up going in the hole buying new parts every weekend with this knucklehead behind the wheel.

I'm pretty sure that Tarso has the money.... he did do a season of F1..... Was it jordan? my memory is failing me here....

[edit]Thanks, choppy.

JLMannin
06-23-05, 01:17 PM
I think Allesandro Zampedri is the best driver Coyne has stuck in a car for a full season.

chop456
06-23-05, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that Tarso has the money.... he did do a season of F1..... Was it jordan? my memory is failing me here....

Minardi, two stints.

theunions
06-23-05, 01:49 PM

Gaston Mazzacane
Joel Camathias
Alex Yoong
Geoff Boss
Gualter Salles
Darren Manning
Memo Gidley
Alex Barron
Michel Jourdain, Jr.
Dennis Vitolo
Roberto Moreno
Hiro Matsushita
Eric Bachelart
Alessandro Zampedri
Robbie Buhl
Buddy Lazier

Unfortunately Memo, who "with a modicum of good fortune would have resulted in comfortable top ten finishes" (Autocourse CART '99 Yearbook, p. 79), had a best result with Coyne of only 12th at Vancouver.

And yes, Pupo's podium was in the '96 U.S. 500, passing Ribeiro for third on the final lap.

Hiro's 10th at Surfer's '96 was his only points finish despite running the full season.

theunions
06-23-05, 01:54 PM

Uh...you must be thinking of his briefly leading opening Friday practice...he wound up starting 14th and running as high as 7th before the transmission broke 2/3rds of the way through, but even then he never did have a sniff at the podium.

coolhand
06-23-05, 02:06 PM
I heard Valiente acted like a jerk and did not get along with the team. Thus Coyne was glad to get him out of there.

after 20 years of racing in this series i wish Dale would figure out how to build his team up to somthing respectable. :shakehead

Ed_Severson
06-23-05, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately Memo, who "with a modicum of good fortune would have resulted in comfortable top ten finishes" (Autocourse CART '99 Yearbook, p. 79), had a best result with Coyne of only 12th at Vancouver.

Indeed. Perhaps someone should notify the folks at Champ Car that their results for the 2000 U.S. 500 Presented by Toyota (http://champcarworldseries.com/Teams/Performance.asp?Year=2000&TeamID=7) are incorrect. If memory serves, Gidley was actually driving for Della Penna at the time, but they have his results listed on Dale Coyne's record. Certainly not the first mistake I've found in their archived driver statistics -- I should have checked more closely.

Nonetheless, my point stands. Anybody who thinks Marques has been hired for talent and not money is out to lunch.

Sean O'Gorman
06-23-05, 02:21 PM
How do we know that Valiente didn't just have enough money for one race?

And there is nothing wrong with Dale's operation. Somebody has to offer a low-buck operation or else there will be less cars.

Turn7
06-23-05, 02:32 PM
Uh...you must be thinking of his briefly leading opening Friday practice...he wound up starting 14th and running as high as 7th before the transmission broke 2/3rds of the way through, but even then he never did have a sniff at the podium.

Maybe that was it....I was partaking massive fluids of the budweiser variety most of the time.

KLang
06-23-05, 02:39 PM
How do we know that Valiente didn't just have enough money for one race?

How do we know Valiente brought any money to Coyne? We don't.

Sean O'Gorman
06-23-05, 02:44 PM
Riiiight.

Turn7
06-23-05, 02:47 PM
'cause o'gobbleman was a shoe in for the seat with his mad driving skillz. Cept he done spent all his benjies on the chromed coffee can muffler for the autocross rig. Dale turned him down and took money from someone else.

Sean O'Gorman
06-23-05, 03:51 PM
'cause o'gobbleman was a shoe in for the seat with his mad driving skillz. Cept he done spent all his benjies on the chromed coffee can muffler for the autocross rig. Dale turned him down and took money from someone else.

Perhaps, but between me and Valiente, only one of us is getting paid to finish in the back of the pack this weekend. ;)

Dr. Corkski
06-23-05, 04:02 PM
How do we know Valiente brought any money to Coyne? We don't.You don't know if Marques is bringing any money either. To my knowledge he hasn't been paying for the rides he has gotten since the end of 2000.

KLang
06-23-05, 04:05 PM
You don't know if Marques is bringing any money either. To my knowledge he hasn't been paying for the rides he has gotten since the end of 2000.

I'm not claiming anyone is paying to drive for Coyne. That would be mr O'Gorman.

JoeBob
06-23-05, 04:06 PM
Did Tarso Marques also bring money to Penske when Penske hired him to run a few races? He has talent.

As for the safety truck thing - that was Tarso's fault, not the safety team's. Once the engine starts, you're supposed to let go of the tow rope.

trauma1
06-23-05, 04:08 PM
i really don't care at least there is 18 cars and a race, to bad for MV but maybe after the shootout if coyne holds one.

FCYTravis
06-23-05, 04:20 PM
Valiante wasn't bringing any money, probably...

If he was, he wouldn't have been put in the sponsored AMR car, leaving Ricardo to drive the Coyne-backed (unsponsored) Sonny's BBQ car.

JohnHKart
06-23-05, 07:31 PM
Marques was leading in that Panasonic Swift (was it in Houston?) when he spun out. Was that a Coyne car? This was around 2000.

John

Ed_Severson
06-23-05, 08:03 PM
Marques was leading in that Panasonic Swift (was it in Houston?) when he spun out. Was that a Coyne car? This was around 2000.

Uh, he spun out in a Coyne car in Houston during the 2000 season, but he wasn't leading. He was 10th.

Marques has never led a lap in Champ Car.

TorontoWorker
06-23-05, 09:01 PM
Also, the tow rope wasn't Tarso's fault. The saftey crew messed that one up.

Utter BullS**t! The tool decided he wanted to stay holding onto the rope! It's too bad they didn't wrap the rope around his b*lls. Bet he would have figured out quick how to release it! You also don't turn across the rope either.

Rogue Leader
06-23-05, 11:20 PM
Marques can definitely WAY outdrive Mazzacane, so it could be worse...

still would prefer Valiente

Jervis Tetch 1
06-23-05, 11:43 PM
Never thought I'd see the Gorilla back in Champ Car.

trauma1
06-24-05, 12:27 PM
appears MV is in the car during 1st practice?????????????

Insomniac
06-24-05, 12:27 PM
Utter BullS**t! The tool decided he wanted to stay holding onto the rope! It's too bad they didn't wrap the rope around his b*lls. Bet he would have figured out quick how to release it! You also don't turn across the rope either.

Okay, I stand corrected. I thought they didn't pull him straight which led to the rope getting tied up in his wheel.

trauma1
06-24-05, 12:36 PM
they just updated the scoring mv is out of the car , tarso in

Easy
06-24-05, 02:57 PM
and faster than RHR

darrylkropp
06-24-05, 04:10 PM
The good thing about having TM in this seat is that it will help generate interest for the two Portuguese races next month. :shakehead

TedN
06-25-05, 09:54 AM
Valainte was inteviewed this morning on The Auto Racing Zone radio program on The Fan 590 (http://www.fan590.com/) .

There was supposed to be a test sesion before Portland but it never materialized. He said the Portland deal was very last minute. He booked a same-day flight.

Coyne is apparently scheduling a shootout between Michael and Tarso after Cleveland.

Valiante specifically mentioned the lack of a driver/engineer relationship that is missing at Coyne, because of the constant driver swapping. It is hard to get consistant results.

Michael wants to move forward and finish out the year at Coyne. No mention of Jensen.

Ted

theunions
06-25-05, 01:57 PM
There was supposed to be a test sesion before Portland but it never materialized. He said the Portland deal was very last minute. He booked a same-day flight.

So did MarkC completely make up the following??? :saywhat:

06/15/05 With no rubber on the track, Valiante turned mid-59 second laps early on today in Portland in the No. 19 AMR car vacated by Oriol Servia.. The fastest time in recent Portland testing was AJ Allmendinger at 57.04 sec. and the fastest time turned by Servia on that day was 58.15 sec, again on a well rubbered in track and 58.9 sec on the first day of the test, which shows how much faster the track gets as rubber is laid down. The team spent much of the day getting familiar with each other and testing various setups. Heavy rains are forecast Thursday and into Friday with clearing before race day on Sunday. It appears we may see wet weather qualifying. 06/15/05 This rumor is upgraded to 'fact.' Michael Valiante was in the car today at Portland. No other drivers were tested and we hear Valiante will indeed race this weekend for Dale Coyne Racing. We hope to have his lap times soon. 06/10/05 We spoke to Dale Coyne this afternoon who informed us that he will test Michael Valiante next Wednesday at Portland, just prior to the race weekend. He may test a second, as yet unnamed driver, as well.

Dr. Corkski
06-25-05, 04:11 PM
So did MarkC completely make up the following??? :saywhat:Marxie making things up. Nope, never happens. :laugh:

Racing Truth
06-25-05, 04:23 PM
Marxie making things up. Nope, never happens. :laugh:

I'm stunned, appalled, horrified. My world is crumbling! :cry:

:p ;)

Cart4Live2003
06-25-05, 04:40 PM
And Tarso qualifies 10th for the race with with a time faster than Da Matta's provisional pole. :eek: