PDA

View Full Version : Kalkhoven comments on new chassis

pchall
06-23-05, 07:32 AM
"There is no big surprise about the fact that we need to update the chassis specifications to make the cars smaller, lighter and more maneuverable for city street racing which is becoming so popular," Kalkhoven remarked. "Obviously, we intend to retain the very successful chassis and car construction rules which have produced a remarkable safety record over the years. So that's the direction we're going in."

link (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9181)

It is interesting to note that the smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable "street racing" chassis would also work nicely at tracks like Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca.

Kalkhoven also has a cryptic remark about ongoing discussions with Honda:

"We're continuing our discussions with Honda, but it may not be about unification," Kalkhoven remarked. "It may be about other things."

Things like Honda Atlantics and a race at what Honda of America considers their home track?

Wheel-Nut
06-23-05, 09:41 AM
Things like Honda Atlantics and a race at what Honda of America considers their home track?

What's H o A's home track? IMS?

Andrew Longman
06-23-05, 09:43 AM
What's H o A's home track? IMS?

I believe that in Mid Ohio. Not far from Marysville

Methanolandbrats
06-23-05, 09:59 AM
"There is no big surprise about the fact that we need to update the chassis specifications to make the cars smaller, lighter and more maneuverable for city street racing which is becoming so popular," Kalkhoven remarked.

Popular with whom? Sounds like natural terrain road courses are dead.

KLang
06-23-05, 10:03 AM
Sounds like natural terrain road courses are dead.

Did you miss the race this past weekend?

Methanolandbrats
06-23-05, 10:36 AM
Did you miss the race this past weekend?No, I guess I should have said "additional natural terrain road courses". I guess we'll see in August.

dando
06-23-05, 10:53 AM
In 30 years of living in Cbus, I've never heard of MO referred to as Honda's home track, but it is ~ an hour from Marysville as the crow flies. They actually have their own R&D course near the plant in Marysville.

-Kevin

Napoleon
06-23-05, 11:00 AM

I would agree. Honda has long had a lot of signage a the track as a sponsor also, and manufactures the Civics used in MOs school (although I do not know if the track gets any kind of discount or freebes on them).

Winston Wolfe
06-23-05, 11:28 AM
I would agree. Honda has long had a lot of signage a the track as a sponsor also, and manufactures the Civics used in MOs school (although I do not know if the track gets any kind of discount or freebes on them).

Yes, they do get a considerable discount on the Civics they use for the Teen school, as well as the RSX that are used in the High performance drivers school, of which I participated in last year, during June.

Back on topic:
I am sure Honda could use the S2000 engine, or the new engine that will power the all-new Civic Si, which is rated at 200HP, to assist in powering the ladder series cars, should this speculation come to pass....
I think you will see Honda making a definite effort to win back their high level of desire in the sub compact market with the new Civic. This, of course, will not involve spacergate, stealing teams and drivers and lying directly to the public about their intentions to go to another racing series, but then again, "Baghdad" Bob Clarke wont be making the press announcements either !

Insomniac
06-23-05, 12:27 PM
"There is no big surprise about the fact that we need to update the chassis specifications to make the cars smaller, lighter and more maneuverable for city street racing which is becoming so popular," Kalkhoven remarked.

Popular with whom? Sounds like natural terrain road courses are dead.

With the people who buy tickets. ;)

pchall
06-23-05, 01:10 PM

And just a bit farther from the Ada plant.

rabbit
06-23-05, 03:02 PM
And just a bit farther from the Ada plant. :saywhat: I think you mean Anna. Ada only makes footballs. :gomer:

Honda has three major plants in West Central Ohio: Marysville, Anna, and East Liberty.

pchall
06-23-05, 03:30 PM
... Ada only makes footballs. :gomer: ...

Honda has three major plants in West Central Ohio: Marysville, Anna, and East Liberty.

Don't remind me of Jeff Klingler, please! :gomer:

Racing Truth
06-23-05, 03:36 PM

FINE!! :flame:

But can I remind you about DAVID Klingler? :gomer: ;)

EDIT: Assuming you are a Bungle Fan, and that's what you were referencing.

pchall
06-23-05, 03:37 PM
FINE!! :flame:

But can I remind you about DAVID Klingler? :gomer: ;)

I wanna forget completely about him, too!!! :gomer:

ChrisB
06-23-05, 06:28 PM
I agree with many here.. a "smaller, lighter and more maneuverable" chassis also works well with natural road-circuits too!

It's about friggin' time they designed these things for road-racing instead of the 1995 Indy 500. The wheelbase of the current cars (~120") is longer than a Nextel Cup (110") Taxicab! The 1978 Lotus had about a 108" wheelbase and the 1975 Lola F5000 had about 102".

And while they're at it.. how about fatter tires (more mechanical grip) and a ~17gal gasoline tank instead of a 35gal alky tank too!

Ankf00
06-23-05, 08:21 PM

University of Houston Cougar High quarterback, what a joke...

Ankf00
06-23-05, 08:22 PM
I agree with many here.. a "smaller, lighter and more maneuverable" chassis also works well with natural road-circuits too!

It's about friggin' time they designed these things for road-racing instead of the 1995 Indy 500. The wheelbase of the current cars (~120") is longer than a Nextel Cup (110") Taxicab! The 1978 Lotus had about a 108" wheelbase and the 1975 Lola F5000 had about 102".

And while they're at it.. how about fatter tires (more mechanical grip) and a ~17gal gasoline tank instead of a 35gal alky tank too!

come on buddy, you forgot to say "with 1000hp with the boost all the way up" :)

coolhand
06-23-05, 08:51 PM
4 digit HP numbers are somthing to brag about.

SurfaceUnits
06-25-05, 12:38 PM
Indiana State University Grad Develops New Champ Car Series Cars

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?id=14221

oddlycalm
06-25-05, 06:47 PM
It's about friggin' time they designed these things for road-racing instead of the 1995 Indy 500. Absolutely. Too long, too heavy and too 1995.

oc

pchall
06-25-05, 07:24 PM

I've been pointing out the extraordinarily long wheelbase of champcars for years now. The last one I got to measure was at 124 inches. Such a long wheelbase makes for a great speedway car, but not much else.

coolhand
06-25-05, 07:56 PM
wern't they longer in around 96-97?

Gnassi's reynards were pretty long compared todays cars i believe :confused:
http://www.champcar.ws/images/Champions/CAR_96vasser.jpg