PDA

View Full Version : best Scotch advice

G.
06-22-05, 01:35 PM
It turns out that I needed to get a last minute gift for a guy, so I went to a liquor store that I frequent right down the road. On a whim, I asked the guy to recommend a good scotch for me (got my buddy Johnny Black). I said nothing too strong, not too mossy, basically a drink for a wuss palate.

He suggested Ardbeg. http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/acatalog/ardbeg_10_b.jpg

I was sort of shocked, I didn't picture him as a scotch drinker. He said that he likes it and it's very easy to drink. I read the self-promo description on the box. It says that it's a challenging drink, very heavy mossy taste, for the most discerning palate, etc., etc. Doesn't sound like what I am looking for. I ask again, he assures me that it is very smooth, great for beginners, just what I'm looking for.

You sure it's for beginners? Yeah, this is perfect.

I buy it, the Johnny, some beer and smokes. Rings me up, plastic comes out, bags my order, I head for the door. He says, "You'll like it, my friend. Trust me. Mix it with a little Sprite."

I almost dropped the bag on the floor. :shakehead

I'll give you a drunken review when I open that bad boy up. But sans Sprite.

skaven
06-22-05, 02:14 PM
Sprite with scotch. Blasphemy... burn 'em at the stake. :flame:

Mossy, eh? I prefer to call that flavor "peaty." Mossy is what your teeth feel like in the morning after a drunken bender.

I like the Lagavulin when I can find it on sale. It tastes like rusty, bloody nails pulled out of a bog. Yum. :)

When I don't feel like dropping a load of $$$ on scotch, I usually get the McClelland $20 bottle - Speyside version. A lot harsher, but 1/3 the cost.

Let us now how the Ardbeg goes down.

I almost dropped the bag on the floor. As an aside, my girl bought a bottle of Lagavulin at our store for a gift and it fell out of the box and shattered. She went back to the store sobbing and they gave her another bottle. :eek:

devilmaster
06-22-05, 03:08 PM
Teachers!!!!!!

;)

sadams
06-22-05, 03:39 PM
Since it's from Islay I would assume it to be on the peaty side.
But it should still be good stuff. :thumbup:

Turn7
06-22-05, 04:04 PM
This is my go to everyday drink.

http://www.maltwhiskey.com/images/mw_lismore.gif

Lismore; around 13 bucks a bottle and it is good. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
06-22-05, 04:07 PM
http://www.civicvideo.com.au/images/200503_top10/06-Anchorman.jpg

"Mmmm. I love scotch. I love scotch; scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly. Mmmmm, mmmm, mmmm. "

Don Quixote
06-22-05, 04:12 PM
A client gave me a bottle of 15 year old Laphroaig after I did him a big favor. It is unbelievably good, smooth, smokey, and peaty. At $60 a pop its a shame that it can't be an everyday scotch. I thought that I could make it last for 6 months, but about a month later it was gonzo. :(

RichK
06-22-05, 04:13 PM
I like the Lagavulin when I can find it on sale. It tastes like rusty, bloody nails pulled out of a bog. Yum. :)

That's a perfect description! :laugh: If you lived closer to me, I'd drive over the rest of my Lagavulin. Yuck!

I prefer The Macallan (as does fellow drummer/motorcyclist Neil Peart :) ), but I'm not much of an expert.

Mr. Vengeance
06-22-05, 04:32 PM
A client gave me a bottle of 15 year old Laphroaig after I did him a big favor. It is unbelievably good, smooth, smokey, and peaty. At $60 a pop its a shame that it can't be an everyday scotch. I thought that I could make it last for 6 months, but about a month later it was gonzo. :(

That's the stuff. :thumbup:

eiregosod
06-22-05, 05:10 PM
I was attending a conferrence in Glasgow last year. the organisers held a whisky tasting session :D

There was two expensive brands to try out. . I forget one, but I made sure I'd remember "Glenturret" , its made by the folks behind the famous grouse.

dando
06-22-05, 05:20 PM
What, no Chivas? :gomer:

Sprite, eh? :saywhat: I'll bet that clerk enjoys a fine cigar on occassion as well...Swisher Sweets. :)

-Kevin

skaven
06-22-05, 05:24 PM
That's a perfect description! :laugh: If you lived closer to me, I'd drive over the rest of my Lagavulin. Yuck!

Hop on your motorcycle and come on over... there are some nice twisty bits out here. :)

RichK
06-22-05, 05:31 PM
Hop on your motorcycle and come on over... there are some nice twisty bits out here. :)

You live in the best state in the nation, IMO (minus the interloping Texans :) ). It would be worth the ride!

skaven
06-22-05, 06:01 PM
You live in the best state in the nation, IMO (minus the interloping Texans :) ). It would be worth the ride!

Yeah, CO rocks. :thumbup:

Most people here blame you Californians for the rising real estate costs, but the Texans are the next biggest immigrant nation (followed by Chicagoans).

You guys bring avacadoes, sprouts, good wine and your fair complexions. Texans bring their 4-wheelers, get drunk on Bud Lite and **** **** up.

Turn7
06-22-05, 06:13 PM
But that is ok cause we bring money too. :p

RichK
06-22-05, 06:14 PM
Bumper sticker seen in Durango:

"If God had meant Texans to ski, He would've made BullS**t white!"

:laugh:

Turn7
06-22-05, 06:19 PM
They are just pissed that they were born to be servants to the Texans and pinch out a meger existance strapping popcicle sticks to our feet and sending us down a mountain.

Which in turn affords them a little humor in return as seasonal funds.

chop456
06-22-05, 10:39 PM
The Dalmore 21.

Incredible.

http://www.whisky.fr/contenu/img/8082.gif

Not an everyday at $70, though.

Sean O'Gorman
06-22-05, 10:48 PM
Something tells me, no matter how good it is, I don't think I'd ever want an "everyday scotch." :laugh:

racer2c
06-22-05, 11:45 PM
I don't drink scotch, but when I do it's always something old. ;)

RusH
06-22-05, 11:53 PM
Clan McGregor every day :gomer:

Ankf00
06-22-05, 11:56 PM
They are just pissed that they were born to be servants to the Texans and pinch out a meger existance strapping popcicle sticks to our feet and sending us down a mountain.

Which in turn affords them a little humor in return as seasonal funds.

werd. that and they can't shoot a deer worth **** so they need us to take up all their hunting leases to play out the population control :thumbup:

Ankf00
06-22-05, 11:59 PM
Since it's from Islay I would assume it to be on the peaty side.
But it should still be good stuff. :thumbup:

islay == on the salty side, all that bromine and iodine from the ocean leaks through the walls of those abbeys as the waves splash onto the shores

i hate islay....

glemorangie 15 year

balvenie double port

skaven
06-23-05, 02:43 PM
islay == on the salty side, all that bromine and iodine from the ocean leaks through the walls of those abbeys as the waves splash onto the shores

i hate islay....

Hater. :mad:

I guess the saltiness helps explain why Lagavulin tastes like "bloody, rusty nails." Trying to figure out the complexity, I think I was attributing the bloody taste to the bitter iron we find in our hemoglobin. However, blood tastes salty too, so that all makes sense.

Not that I'm a blood sucking, red-wing wearing kinda guy. ;)

Wheel-Nut
06-23-05, 03:05 PM
Best Scotch advice . . . . .drink Vodka!!

dando
06-23-05, 04:42 PM
Best Scotch advice . . . . .drink Vodka!!
Make mine gin. :cheers:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
06-23-05, 05:39 PM
Thanks for sharing the Ardbeg and Sprite story G., most entertaining. :laugh:

BTW, my rule is that anytime a person or a label tells me that something is challenging or only for refined tastes it's a rather reliable indicator that the product inside will taste like the south end of a northbound billy goat. I've lost track of how many expensive brandies from craft distilleries that tasted like lighter fluid mix with fresh mildew which apparently I'm not sophisticated enough to appreciate. :gomer:

oc

WestMcLarenF1
06-23-05, 05:47 PM
http://www.bevmo.com/115images/68192.jpg

I always enjoy a glass of this with an illegal Cuban cigar on special occasions......tonight's special occasion..........it's Thursday. ;)

Al Czervik
06-23-05, 09:40 PM
Can't find a good pic, but The Macallan 18 yr old is the best I've tasted. Not cheep (~$100/bottle), but pure nectar of the gods.

Lizzerd
06-23-05, 09:54 PM
The best advise I can give you is make it a JW Black with a splash of water on the rocks followed by a good steak. That's the way I do it, anyway.

G.
06-23-05, 11:40 PM
OK, I've tried it. Let's just say that licking the bottom of a fishbowl is sorta what this stuff tastes like. Not that I, or any of you, have licked the bottom of a fishbowl, mind you. Use your imagination. Or, more to the point, don't.

It is of high quality. I can taste quality, but, well, I am naming this bottle "Petey". Or is it "Peaty"? Ardbeg is an antiseptic. It is distilled from old tennis shoes. Good tennis shoes. The best tennis shoes. Think, Kornicova's tennis shoes. It would prolly eat my tennis shoes and turn them into a pile of flaming goo, the kind that you use to get rid of other flaming goo. It's just that good.

You just don't know what Ardbeg means.

It is clear. What the **** kind of scotch is clear? Hey, Ima n00b.

To recap, it is of a good quality, but it is much too "scotchy" for this wuss.

I named it Petey. Your lawn clippings may vary.

I need some Sprite.

And a beer.

Covered, all bases.

(would be good in the winter, but Ima n00b.)

Ankf00
06-23-05, 11:41 PM
shoulda gone with the balvenie double wood or port :D

Can't find a good pic, but The Macallan 18 yr old is the best I've tasted. Not cheep (~$100/bottle), but pure nectar of the gods.

MACALLAN makes alumni parties worth the boredom :D

G.
06-24-05, 10:00 AM
Can't find a good pic, but The Macallan 18 yr old is the best I've tasted. Not cheep (~$100/bottle), but pure nectar of the gods.http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/acatalog/macallan18yo.jpg

cameraman
06-28-05, 03:27 AM
Gentlemen,

Might I recommend Dalwhinnie 15 year old single highland malt scotch
A very smooth Speyside malt.

http://www.awa.dk/whisky/dalwhinnie/dalwhinnie.jpg

Wheel-Nut
12-29-05, 11:46 AM
Old thread . . . but, tis the season.

I'm going to go buy and try the Macallan 12 year old. I'll let you know if I survive. Just something different for New Years Eve . . .

dando
12-29-05, 11:57 AM
Best scotch advice I ever received was drink bourbon. ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

CARTNUT
12-29-05, 05:36 PM
Best scotch advice I ever received was drink bourbon. ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

Best bourbon advice I ever received:
http://www.whisky.fr/contenu/img/415.gif

'NUT :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
12-29-05, 06:19 PM
I like my bourbon like I like my women, aged 12 years and mixed with coke.

IlliniRacer
12-29-05, 06:27 PM

that's just sick. extremely funny, but sick :p

Reminds of a near death experience - I was doing research with a colleague at a satellite campus in East St. Louis. Between research groups, we would risk our lives and run across the street to a convenience store for coffee. One day, as I'm paying for my coffee, the lady behind the counter asks me "You don't use no cream and sugga?" To which, my friend proclaims loudly - "He takes his coffee like he takes his women - hot, black, and strong!" Not quiet sure how I made it back across the street alive. I brought a thermos from then on.

dando
12-29-05, 09:23 PM
How dare you!?! :mad:

Mix bourbon w/Coke?!? Never! :flame:

;) :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-29-05, 09:24 PM

good stuff, woodford reserve is great too

dando
12-29-05, 09:27 PM

:drools:

:thumbup:

-Kevin

Lizzerd
12-30-05, 02:06 AM
Funny that this thread should re-appear tonight. It was one of my bowling nights tonight and one of the guys on the team, the retired phamacist, told me to follow him to his car when we were done. "Why?" "I have that bottle of Chivas Regal for you. Don't you remember?" "I remember talking about Scotch last week..." "I told you I don't drink it but have a couple bottles that I'll never use, and you can have one if I remember to bring it and it's in my car." "Oh, okay, sure! Thanks, Jerry!"

New Years Eve will be a Scotch on the rocks night for sure!

jcollins28
12-30-05, 02:11 PM
Best advise for Scoth? Don't drink it! I never really aquired the taste for Scoth. I prefer Burbon myself.

TravelGal
12-30-05, 09:23 PM
That picture of Macallam really made me drool. We do the 12 year route because the 18 year is too much for the exchequer. Nevertheless, it's the best we've found and I've tried quite few that are readily available.

Good thread. I missed it the first time. Good recommendations there are few others I'll give a shot. Heheheh. Yes, joke. Sort of. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I believe I'll go have a drink. After all, it IS New Year's Eve eve.

cart7
12-30-05, 10:21 PM
Make mine gin. :cheers:

-Kevin

Make mine Rum.

Scotch....ugggghhhhhhh...