PDA

View Full Version : It's official...BMW buys Sauber

TrueBrit
06-22-05, 10:22 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4118472.stm

Wonder who Williams will use for a lump now?

trauma1
06-22-05, 10:26 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4118472.stm

Wonder who Williams will use for a lump now?

i hope it's good news for cossie, IMO cossie is williams best hope for a decent engine, i don't see frankie playing second fiddle to sauber

oddlycalm
06-22-05, 11:32 AM
Major financial reversal of fortune for Williams. Paying an engine fee as opposed to free engines plus additional consideration from BMW probably means a $50 million or more hole in the checking account going forward. Money issues aside, I'd love to see Williams use the Cosworth and kick BMW butt for the next couple seasons. ;) Long term I wish both teams well, and it should mean another well funded team trying to reach the front of the grid.

oc

Joe in LA
06-22-05, 12:17 PM
Odds on JV being employed by Team BMW next year? I see a contract buyout coming fast.

TrueBrit
06-22-05, 12:22 PM
Odds on JV being employed by Team BMW next year? I see a contract buyout coming fast.

Maybe, maybe not...

Andrew Longman
06-22-05, 03:33 PM
I'm afraid that without the BMW grunt, the Williams team will be in a poor way. That grunt made up for a decided lack of aero talent.

oddlycalm
06-22-05, 07:16 PM
I'm afraid that without the BMW grunt, the Williams team will be in a poor way. That grunt made up for a decided lack of aero talent. Williams has been saying otherwise and have alluded to having to take off downforce due to being down on power. Patrick Head's recent diatribe left no doubt that they feel like the BMW engines have not made as much progress as some of the others on the grid yet BMW was blaming Williams.

I agree it's possible that teams that have to purchase engines may only rarely find their way to the podium in the coming years... assuming F1 stays in one piece of course.

oc

Insomniac
06-22-05, 08:06 PM
Williams has been saying otherwise and have alluded to having to take off downforce due to being down on power. Patrick Head's recent diatribe left no doubt that they feel like the BMW engines have not made as much progress as some of the others on the grid yet BMW was blaming Williams.

I agree it's possible that teams that have to purchase engines may only rarely find their way to the podium in the coming years... assuming F1 stays in one piece of course.

oc

I thuink BMW lost quite a bit of power when they went to the single weekend and now two weekend rules. They were running those things on the edge before to get just a little more HP than Ferrari.

Gnam
06-22-05, 08:14 PM
Bangle finally gets to molest an F1 car. :gomer:

oddlycalm
06-22-05, 08:22 PM
Bangle finally gets to molest an F1 car. :gomer: :rofl:

Eeeeeeewwww... it'll have a Bangle butt on the rear and the front will look like Dame Edna after being surprised in the lieu... :eek:

oc

Andrew Longman
06-22-05, 08:34 PM
Williams has been saying otherwise and have alluded to having to take off downforce due to being down on power. Patrick Head's recent diatribe left no doubt that they feel like the BMW engines have not made as much progress as some of the others on the grid yet BMW was blaming Williams.

oc

I think you are right that BMW has not kept up, but my impression is the Williams chassis ans aero programs have not either