PDA

View Full Version : "Knowledgeable fans"

RacinM3
06-20-05, 07:47 PM
Watching the F1 race yesterday, I heard this again, used in the context that the speaker was surprised that American fans were actually pretty sophisticated when it comes to the workings of F1.

I mean, don't they know that not all of us are livin' in caves, adjusting the rabbit ears, sporting mullets and making cameo appearances on "Cops"?

Anybody else annoyed by this?

They should know that's just most of us, not all of us.

Ed_Severson
06-20-05, 07:59 PM
Anybody else annoyed by this?

A bit, yes.

I guess I don't really understand what the American media thinks is so mystical about European racing. It's certainly not hard to figure out, unless you're a complete dullard (which covers most of the NECKCAR crowd, I suppose).

Andrew Longman
06-20-05, 08:07 PM
It was specifically a comment directed at comments on the Speed message board.

It was not intended as a slight and so I do not take it as such.

And for what its worth, 95%+ Americans had no idea there was a race in Indy yesterday. The fact that there was some sort of broohaha over the race is of mild interest for some, but mostly confirmation that NASCAR is the only racing worth following.

But for those few of us who do follow the sport in the US, I suspect the comments were meant to say we know more than the vast majority of F1 fans around the globe who follow it casually.

nissan gtp
06-20-05, 08:53 PM
It was specifically a comment directed at comments on the Speed message board.

which made the comment all the funnier. wonder if Steve was talking about SCB :rofl:

coolhand
06-20-05, 08:55 PM
I mean, don't they know that not all of us are livin' in caves, adjusting the rabbit ears, sporting mullets and making cameo appearances on "Cops"?

:rofl:

about your question though... The Euros are very arrogant. I have worked with a English Engineer and he was the biggest ********er i have ever delt with, he could take his MS in ME and shove it up his ass. He thought that he was god becuase he went to school in england. :flame:

Ankf00
06-20-05, 09:10 PM
Perhaps if you didn't have Frank Grimes slap away that beaker of sulfuric acid you were about to drink, he'd have thought more highly of you ;)

G.
06-21-05, 10:47 AM
:rofl:

about your question though... The Euros are very arrogant. I have worked with a English Engineer and he was the biggest ********er i have ever delt with, he could take his MS in ME and shove it up his ass. He thought that he was god becuase he went to school in england. :flame:I work with a lot of them. It seems that the path to Uni and the granting of the engineering degree is seen as the destination in and of itself. IOWs, it's tough to get in and the Eurogeeks are pretty proud of themselves.

Then they get the enlightenment of G.

Once they get the real-world smackdown, they can be pretty good to work with.

What's really tough to overcome is their attitude of "Let's discuss our plan of action over with the committee for endless days."

No. Git er done!

[\hijack]

Andrew Longman
06-21-05, 11:11 AM
No. Git er done![\hijack]

And put sum gravy on that sumuvabitch!

coolhand
06-21-05, 12:27 PM
I work with a lot of them. It seems that the path to Uni and the granting of the engineering degree is seen as the destination in and of itself. IOWs, it's tough to get in and the Eurogeeks are pretty proud of themselves.

Then they get the enlightenment of G.

Once they get the real-world smackdown, they can be pretty good to work with.

What's really tough to overcome is their attitude of "Let's discuss our plan of action over with the committee for endless days."

No. Git er done!

[\hijack]

yeah, they are all sharpe people but they have this attitude that needs to be smacked out of them,

coolhand
06-21-05, 12:28 PM
Perhaps if you didn't have Frank Grimes slap away that beaker of sulfuric acid you were about to drink, he'd have thought more highly of you ;)

that the best you got? :thumdown: :gomer:

NismoZ
06-21-05, 11:17 PM
I tried a little experiment at the Rec Center monday morning. ESPN is always on when a lot of us get to the locker room, so I looked up and asked, "Hey, who won the big race yesterday!?"(knowing there was more than one to choose from.) I think I got close to 10 responses, it was hard to keep up, but they went something like this: I think it was the 16 car. I know it wasn't Jeff Gordon. You mean the Indy car race? They cancelled it, a lot of the drivers refused to race! No, they raced alright, but only about half of 'em. People were really pissed, they were throwing stuff out onto the track! B*** S***, Indy was 3 weeks ago! And so on...I've had people ask me to explain what happened, but they kinda fade out when I can't do it in 25 words or less. :)...oh, and not a SINGLE mention of Portland or LeMans!

racer2c
06-21-05, 11:38 PM
that the best you got? :thumdown: :gomer:

Hey it's greenie! :p :thumdown:

WestMcLarenF1
06-22-05, 11:58 AM

Well, I've never made an appearance on COPS, anyway...... ;)