PDA

View Full Version : Litigation!

Spicoli
06-20-05, 03:57 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050620/SPORTS0103/50620006

June 20, 2005

Fan sues over Grand Prix 'race'

Shawn Singleton ( left), of California, warns people who are trying for a refund of the ticket price for Sunday's U.S. Grand Prix to be prepared for nothing to happen. He said office personnel wrote "wants refund" on his paper and told him he would be notified later. Singleton said he spent seven days and almost $6,000 on his trip to Indianapolis. "This was a huge disappointment," he said. -- Matt Detrich / The Star

Special report
• U.S. Grand Prix wrap up
Related articles
• FIA summons teams to hearing

By Matthew Glenesk
matthew.glenesk@indystar.com

Larry Bowers, a Colorado resident, has filed a class action lawsuit against the Federation de l’Automobile (FIA), Formula One Group, Formula One Administration, Michelin Tires and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway following Sunday’s United States Grand Prix.

Bowers, represented by Indianapolis-based attorney William Bock III, filed suit claiming the 2005 USGP was fraudulent after 14 of the 20 drivers pitted and withdrew after the formation lap of the race because of a dispute surrounding the use of Michelin tires on the track.

The lawsuit claims Formula One, the FIA, Michelin, the teams equipped by Michelin and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway forged an agreement allowing the Michelin teams to participate in the formation lap and then exit the track prior to the start of the race.

“The alleged ‘race’ participated by just three teams did not constitute a true grand prix race under FIA and Formula One rules in that the race was started with an insufficient number of participants,” the lawsuit reads.

Bowers, who bought five tickets to this year’s race and has been a USGP ticket holder since its inception in 2000, is looking to receive a refund for the tickets as well as other costs paid toward attending the USGP.

The controversy failed to dissuade some fans from showing up today at the Speedway to renew their tickets for next year's race. Others, however, were there to ask for refunds. Speedway officials were not offering refunds, but did take note of those requesting their money back.

Read tomorrow's Indianapolis Star for more details.
Call Star reporter Matthew Glenesk at (317) 444-6492.

trauma1
06-20-05, 04:00 PM
:( sorry to say , nobody is going to get any $$ back from bernie, max and TG

Steve99
06-20-05, 04:36 PM
Singleton said he spent ... almost $6,000 on his trip to Indianapolis.
Idiot. Six grand on a trip to Indy?

TrueBrit
06-20-05, 04:37 PM

He must have ordered the hookers that still had (most of) their own teeth....I hear they're pretty pricey in that part of the world.... ;)

extramundane
06-20-05, 04:41 PM

Hey, when you hang out with Little Al for a week, the bar bills add up...

JohnnyQ
06-20-05, 05:07 PM

Well now the lawyers are involved. They'll get his six g's back with his take being a cool 600 bucks. I wonder if I can sue for Schumacher pulling over for Ruebens? I haven't been the same since. Any bottom feeders willing to take the case? :rolleyes:

Gnam
06-20-05, 05:11 PM
With Ecclestone conceding that fans "have been cheated," F1 will be under huge pressure, both moral and legal, to issue full refunds to all the Indy spectators.
Granted foxsports may not be the best for legal advice, but where did Bernie say the fans have been cheated?

http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/3704474]link

Wabbit
06-20-05, 05:31 PM

Guess on prices

Denver -> IND Airfare = $300
GP Ticket =$100
3 night hotel $150/night = $450
Total = $850
x 5 friends = $4250

Add food, rental car, parking, a couple more nights, lost wages/vacation time, etc. Yeah, It COULD be $6000. Most he could possibly get is his $500 for tickets back though.

Spicoli
06-20-05, 05:36 PM
Guess on prices

Denver -> IND Airfare = $300
GP Ticket =$100
3 night hotel $150/night = $450
Total = $850
x 5 friends = $4250

Add food, rental car, parking, a couple more nights, lost wages/vacation time, etc. Yeah, It COULD be $6000. Most he could possibly get is his $500 for tickets back though.

Yep, and this is where the damage gets done to the rep of the city. Dood got a race, right? Does this jacktard seriously think he's going to recover more than the ticket prices? Well, we will see. And Jessica Simpson is gonna come over to my house and scrub my floors nekkid. :rolleyes:

BTW - Bill Bock is a lawyer that works with Jim Knauer @ kgrlaw.com who represented CART/CCWS/OWRS vs. FTG

ironic, eh? ;)

Ziggy
06-20-05, 05:53 PM
Posted by "True Brit"

He must have ordered the hookers that still had (most of) their own teeth....I hear they're pretty pricey in that part of the world....

priceless, considering the source

change your name to "fluoride" and get back to us.

TrueBrit
06-20-05, 06:42 PM
Posted by "True Brit"

He must have ordered the hookers that still had (most of) their own teeth....I hear they're pretty pricey in that part of the world....

priceless, considering the source

change your name to "fluoride" and get back to us.

Hmmm, obviously hit a raw nerve eh? :D

TrueBrit
06-20-05, 06:43 PM
Yep, and this is where the damage gets done to the rep of the city. Dood got a race, right? Does this jacktard seriously think he's going to recover more than the ticket prices? Well, we will see. And Jessica Simpson is gonna come over to my house and scrub my floors nekkid. :rolleyes:

BTW - Bill Bock is a lawyer that works with Jim Knauer @ kgrlaw.com who represented CART/CCWS/OWRS vs. FTG

ironic, eh? ;)

You have nekkid floors? Got to be a bit parky in the winter, no?

Spicoli
06-20-05, 06:48 PM
You have nekkid floors? Got to be a bit parky in the winter, no?

Sorry, maybe some of it was lost in translation.

TrueBrit
06-20-05, 06:50 PM
Sorry, maybe some of it was lost in translation.

No, I was being cheeky... :cool:

RacinM3
06-20-05, 07:12 PM
Here is where his case falls through:

“The alleged ‘race’ participated by just three teams did not constitute a true grand prix race under FIA and Formula One rules in that the race was started with an insufficient number of participants,” the lawsuit reads.

There is even historical precedent for running a race AND awarding points with this few participants.

Shadow
06-20-05, 08:19 PM
No, I was being cheeky... :cool:

And here I thought you were making like Benny Hill.
:)

Ankf00
06-20-05, 09:18 PM
And here I thought you were making like Benny Hill.
:)

na, more like Mr. Bean :gomer:

Insomniac
06-21-05, 03:29 PM
I thought the Michelin teams would either start the race and pull in before completing the first lap or do one full lap and pull in to the pits. I was surprised they didn't even start.

oddlycalm
06-21-05, 04:31 PM
And Jessica Simpson is gonna come over to my house and scrub my floors nekkid. :rolleyes: OK, I'm not even a Simpson fan but that totally distracted me. What the hell were we discussing... :confused: And now that you've mentioned it, how could we have never once had a discussion on nekkid celebriy floor scrubbing during the entire history of 7G and OC? Geeeezus, endless threads about racing, hobbies, toys, family, cars and never once... :shakehead

OK, back on topic. Drive a stake through TG's heart on general principals and litigate with everyone else for the next 20yrs or until both Bernie and Max are in the grave, whichever comes first.

oc