PDA

View Full Version : KK Says Hyundai "Interested"

NismoZ
06-20-05, 11:44 AM
Well, I'll be...for all the "badging" talk we've gone through this one finally seems to be getting serious. I remember mentioning Hyundai on the same day a Korean race was first discussed a long time ago. If Chevy wants out apparently Hyundai wants in. KK says he's not interested in selling, but badging for the IRL is good business and he says he's a businessman first. Very interesting. I'd hate to see KK in the position of appearing to "save" the enemy with one of his acquisitions, but couldn't this be used to leverage...SOMEthing besides engine profits?

stroker
06-20-05, 11:48 AM
Doesn't make sense. Why badge an IRL engine for a Korean mfg when they don't race there? Makes more sense to badge a CC engine and build on that relationship, doesn't it?

The latter has the advantage of stiffing FTG as well.

:thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
06-20-05, 12:22 PM
Doesn't make sense. Why badge an IRL engine for a Korean mfg when they don't race there? Makes more sense to badge a CC engine and build on that relationship, doesn't it?

Maybe Hyundai doesn't feel there is any benefit from badging a Champ Car engine?

The fact that a Korean manufacturer is more interested in racing in the IRL than a series that is racing in their own country should be more proof that the international model that Champ Car is chasing wont work.

nrc
06-20-05, 12:43 PM
Maybe Hyundai doesn't feel there is any benefit from badging a Champ Car engine?

The fact that a Korean manufacturer is more interested in racing in the IRL than a series that is racing in their own country should be more proof that the international model that Champ Car is chasing wont work.Trying to hijack yet another thread into a complaint about Champ car will only get your posts deleted and/or the thread closed.

This thread is not about Champ car. If you were privy to discussions between Champ car and Hyundai where Champ car said they were looking for someone else to badge engines and Hyundai said that they weren't interested then you can feel free to post details on that in the Champ car forum.

By all accounts Ford and Champ car are happy about the current arrangement. If KK were entertaining any thoughts of selling the badge to anyone else he certainly wouldn't piss off his current sponsor by saying so in the middle of their deal.

Mark521
06-20-05, 01:06 PM
Doesn't make sense. Why badge an IRL engine for a Korean mfg when they don't race there?

It makes sense to me if I was Hyundai and I was trying to sell cars here. This would be one way to speed along the acceptance of Hyundai in the US.

I wonder if Hyundai knows the costs involved (costs to Cosworth, IRL badging/marketing fee, team support, etc). I'm sure that Honda & Toyota are looking forward to losing the occasional race to Hyundai, too.

cart7
06-20-05, 01:49 PM
I think the real question is why Hyundai would be interested in badging the Chevworth for just one more year? That engine has one left on it's life cycle within the irl spec, why bother for just one year and only 1 team that runs them?

racer2c
06-20-05, 02:03 PM

The fact that a Korean manufacturer is more interested in racing in the IRL than a series that is racing in their own country should be more proof that the international model that Champ Car is chasing wont work.

:shakehead

NismoZ
06-20-05, 02:05 PM
Of course 521 has it, 7th largest manufacturer, FIRST largest market. Makes all kinds of sense. Glad to see Cosworth is doing so well, was just wondering how this might impact the open wheel relationship here as regards continued competition/animosity or merger...especially with the dual impact of Danicamania AND the GP fiasco. LOTS of things involved. I just can't help think how silly TG might look presenting Japanese and Korean mfgrs. back home in Indiana, when Cosworth can do likewise and get away with it in ChampCar...but why do it when FORD finds they are the ONLY homegrown motor left in a whole category of racing? Sorry I picked the wrong forum to start this, but this is one of those topics that in the end can deeply impact both, I believe.

Turn7
06-20-05, 02:10 PM

No, it is proof that the IRL with its, ugly, under preforming, not up to safety standards, bad copy of a good thing fits the Hyundai corporate model to the T.

Hyundai is a car marketed toward the lower class in this country and they know where to find that audience.

Champ Car isn't the place for that but, Tooneys abomination is and maybe GA too.

NismoZ
06-20-05, 02:13 PM
And Cart7...Asian businesses think beyond the quarterly bottom line, WAY beyond. Cosworth has proven they can build a better engine (maybe) even than Honda. Since the acquisition the results have been eye-opening to say the least. Don't you think they could build and run successfully in ANY spec either TG or CC mandate? I'm confident Hyundai thinks they can...no matter WHICH way the open wheel landscape changes.

trauma1
06-20-05, 02:26 PM
i really don't think having Hyundai on a earl engine is going to save earl or ftg. if it comes to that thier pretty much toast!! if yoda and chevy are gone and the best they can come up with is Hyundai they are hurting big time. I just wonder where that big engine announcement is???

NismoZ
06-20-05, 02:34 PM
That's what I'm saying...this may have something to do with it. Don't know WHAT, but could be related.

JohnnyQ
06-20-05, 04:46 PM
No, it is proof that the IRL with its, ugly, under preforming, not up to safety standards, bad copy of a good thing fits the Hyundai corporate model to the T.

Hyundai is a car marketed toward the lower class in this country and they know where to find that audience.

Champ Car isn't the place for that but, Tooneys abomination is and maybe GA too.

My company car is a Hyundai Sonata. I hate to admit it but it's a pretty decent car. Beleive me :cool: I beat the hell out of it and it runs like a champ. The funny thing about guys who buy BMW's and Mercedes etc. They don't have the skills or the tinks to realize the cars abilities.

Wally
06-20-05, 05:41 PM
My company car is a Hyundai Sonata. I hate to admit it but it's a pretty decent car. Beleive me :cool: I beat the hell out of it and it runs like a champ. The funny thing about guys who buy BMW's and Mercedes etc. They don't have the skills or the tinks to realize the cars abilities.

Thats my take.
If you look around a Hyundai dealer or read their marketing plans in the Automotive News their plans are to build a better Accord.

Jag_Warrior
06-20-05, 08:19 PM
Thats my take.
If you look around a Hyundai dealer or read their marketing plans in the Automotive News their plans are to build a better Accord.

The fastest growing automotive maker in the world as of last month. They're making aggressive moves with plant investments, pricing, warranties... and now, marketing.

Unlike Chevrolet, Toyota and Honda (in the IRL) or Ford (in Champ Car), Hyundai would probably play up in general advertising their participation in the IRL's Indy 500. They've done limited racing before (WRC is the last I know of), but this would be their biggest step into the U.S. racing scene.

Unlike Ford or Chevy, they have lots of spendable cash. I just wonder if they're interested in a common engine between the series, or in any way helping to end this foolishness.

Insomniac
06-21-05, 07:50 AM
I think the real question is why Hyundai would be interested in badging the Chevworth for just one more year? That engine has one left on it's life cycle within the irl spec, why bother for just one year and only 1 team that runs them?

I don't think it would only be for one year. Hynundai probably doesn't have any type of racing division, so they are basically wanting to outsource the work to Cosworth. Which also probably explians why they aren't considering ChampCar because they can't make engines and why would Ford split the badging? Besides ChampCar wants to stick with a single engine for now, which is very smart considering current sponsorship.