PDA

View Full Version : Left Out In The Fallout?

FanofMario
06-20-05, 11:11 AM
Nobody knows for sure how much damage has been inflicted by this boycott, but you do have to be concerned for Scott Speed. The kid just flatout impressed me every time he got out on the track. Smooth and quick in every sector. Will he be a victim of all this political crap now? Since the USGP might seriously be in jeopardy is Scott Speed's F1 career? :saywhat:

TRDfan
06-20-05, 11:30 AM
He was supposed to be on Windbag, but according to Despain, Red Bull put him on a plane and got him out of the mess.

RTKar
06-20-05, 11:31 AM
Nobody knows for sure how much damage has been inflicted by this boycott, but you do have to be concerned for Scott Speed. The kid just flatout impressed me every time he got out on the track. Smooth and quick in every sector. Will he be a victim of all this political crap now? Since the USGP might seriously be in jeopardy is Scott Speed's F1 career? :saywhat:

I would think not, quick drivers are in demand but him having a home GP is.

Sean O'Gorman
06-20-05, 12:14 PM
If anything, it increases the need for Scott Speed to be in a car because his presence in '06 could help repair the damage from this past weekend.

JoeBob
06-20-05, 12:17 PM
This does hurt Scott Speed's chances - if racing has become more about where you're from, and less about how fast you are. You're crazy if you think Scott Speed will have any impact on F1's popularty in the United States.

Eddie Cheever was a Europe-Trained American in F1. Did he draw any new fans to F1? Either you enjoy the series or you don't.

Having an anonymous American won't draw in any new fans. Alex Zanardi going to F1 probably drew more fans to F1 than Scott Speed will. Zanardi was fairly well known and popular with the American public - his fans tuned in to see him in F1. Who is the fanbase you see suddenly becoming interested just to watch Scott Speed?

Badger
06-20-05, 11:08 PM
I disagree. Underacheever has alway been an arrogant jerk who talked down to anything below F1 while telling everyone that "he did it the right way by racing in Europe". Speed is a home grown talent, and more importantly, he appears to have the goods, something that Under never had. Though his ability to continue racing for so long with such mediocre results is amazing in itself.

racer2c
06-20-05, 11:12 PM
This does hurt Scott Speed's chances - if racing has become more about where you're from, and less about how fast you are. You're crazy if you think Scott Speed will have any impact on F1's popularty in the United States.

Eddie Cheever was a Europe-Trained American in F1. Did he draw any new fans to F1? Either you enjoy the series or you don't.

Having an anonymous American won't draw in any new fans. Alex Zanardi going to F1 probably drew more fans to F1 than Scott Speed will. Zanardi was fairly well known and popular with the American public - his fans tuned in to see him in F1. Who is the fanbase you see suddenly becoming interested just to watch Scott Speed?

I agree except that Cheever sucked and Speed has real potential. Speed getting a fulltime seat will not make national US news. Although the tire debacle did. Scott will contemplate a breast job before it's all said and done. :shakehead

Ankf00
06-20-05, 11:14 PM

Americans will only care if Speed is winning. Nothing riles people up like an American kicking foreign ass.

RacinM3
06-21-05, 12:42 AM
Jackie Stewart said it right this weekend when he said the only thing that could help F1 in the US was an American at the sharp end of the F1 grid .....something that Cheever never came close to managing.

aka: I agree with Ank.

Dr. Corkski
06-21-05, 01:33 AM
Scott will contemplate a breast job before it's all said and done. :shakeheadBreast reduction? And I am not suggesting Speed has manboobs. :laugh: