PDA

View Full Version : And USGP 06 is on for Indy

Spicoli
06-20-05, 09:47 AM
So says ron green of IMS about 15 minutes ago. :gomer:

Speedway Plans for 2006 Grand Prix as Angry Fans Leave Town
6/20/2005

By wibc.com

Although there’s a lot of speculation today that Formula 1 racing is dead in Indianapolis as a result of yesterday’s debacle, the public relations director of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway says planning begins now for the 2006 U.S. Grand Prix. But a lot of fans heading leaving Indianapolis today say they won't be back.

Ron Green told the WIBC Morning News that it takes a year of planning to hold a major race. So work begins today, even though IMS officials know there will be hard feelings.

“At this stage, we’re planning on having a race next year. But certainly the events yesterday left a sour taste in many people’s mouths,” he says.

The F1 contract with the IMS runs through next year.

As for ticket refunds to angry fans from yesterday’s race, Green says there hasn’t been time yet for Speedway officials to discuss the options. He says those talks will begin very soon.

“That’s something that will be discussed in the coming days...and we’ll respond appropriately.”

That was on the minds of many who packed the Indianapolis International Airport to head home after watching only six cars compete in yesterday's F1 race.

One man who came to Indianapolis from Denver says he's not angry with the IMS, but they will hear from him.

"They're the people I bought the ticket from so I'm going to be talking to them about getting my money back," he said.

"This was my first (F1 race), and now my last," said Scott Wise of Los Angeles.

Some of the F1 fans at the airport laid the blame for yesterday race directly on the shoulders of F1 CEO Bernie Ecklestone.

"We need to fire Bernie and his governors."

last modified: 6/20/2005 9:08 AM h

edited to paste story.

Andrew Longman
06-20-05, 09:50 AM
But will anyone be there (fans or teams)?

Seadog
06-20-05, 11:03 AM
Ironically for me, this was the first year I didn't attend. I have tickets every year in J Stand but I didn't have the time to make the 10 hour drive. I'm glad I didn't have the time.

If F1 comes back to Indy next year, I'll be there. There's no f'n way they can screw this up two years in a row.

racer2c
06-20-05, 11:09 AM
So much for hardball.

Guess those furrin' formoola one guys never heard of the Chitwood stunt act!

trauma1
06-20-05, 11:11 AM
this ought to make the sisters happy, plucking down 20 mil for a 6 car show :rofl:

Spicoli
06-20-05, 11:14 AM
this ought to make the sisters happy, plucking down 20 mil for a 6 car show :rofl:

Doesn;t work that way, from what I have been told.

Track rental.

Andrew Longman
06-20-05, 11:25 AM
If F1 comes back to Indy next year, I'll be there. There's no f'n way they can screw this up two years in a row.

What makes you say that? What shred of evidence do you have that they (Max, TG, BE, etc.) can do anything right when it comes to protecting the interests of their customers?

Napoleon
06-20-05, 11:44 AM

Track rental.

That does not make sense because it is up to TG to promote attendence at the event. This would not be the case if it was a track rental.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050618/SPORTS01/506180419/1052/SPORTS01

eiregosod
06-20-05, 11:47 AM
So says ron green of IMS about 15 minutes ago. :gomer:

exactly which series will be racing the 2006 USGP?

It wouldnt surprise me if the IRL races it.

TrueBrit
06-20-05, 11:49 AM
It was always my understanding that the FIA nevers rents tracks. In fact, because the FIA has it's greedy little fingers in every little pie almost the ONLY way the track owner's can make any cashishe is through ticket sales. That was one of the reasons the F-1 version of the LBGP went bye-bye all those years ago...the governing body wanted so much money that the ticket sales would have been prohibitive....of course anyone that has even thought about attending the British GP at Salivastone knows a thing or two about exorbitant ticket prices....

Spicoli
06-20-05, 11:58 AM
That does not make sense because it is up to TG to promote attendence at the event. This would not be the case if it was a track rental.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050618/SPORTS01/506180419/1052/SPORTS01

Not sure what to say about that, but I was told that it was a track rental in the area of $10m.

eiregosod
06-20-05, 12:00 PM
It was always my understanding that the FIA nevers rents tracks. In fact, because the FIA has it's greedy little fingers in every little pie almost the ONLY way the track owner's can make any cashishe is through ticket sales. That was one of the reasons the F-1 version of the LBGP went bye-bye all those years ago...the governing body wanted so much money that the ticket sales would have been prohibitive....of course anyone that has even thought about attending the British GP at Salivastone knows a thing or two about exorbitant ticket prices....

This is bernie's credos in action. In fact he now deals with governments to underwrite grandprix (the loss being turned into tourism promotional stuff).

As for Salivastone :laugh: , no wonder the race is not sold out yet, with ticket prices at £300 ($600)

Andrew Longman
06-20-05, 12:27 PM
From Indystar article:

"Bernie Ecclestone said Friday he believes Indianapolis Motor Speedway is failing itself and, more importantly, the U.S. Grand Prix by not promoting this weekend's race more aggressively."

Good thing they didn't promote more. They'd have even more pissed off fans.

On Topic the article also says:

The decision to return will be George's, Ecclestone said. The Speedway's primary form of revenue is ticket sales, which means a crowd of 120,000 (the 2004 crowd estimate) doesn't cover the estimated $15 million the Speedway pays Ecclestone's company to stage a race. Ecclestone also receives all the proceeds from television broadcasts, the paddock club and title sponsors.

"It's the Speedway that's suffering, not us," Ecclestone said.

Chitwood would not comment on whether the Speedway makes money on the USGP.

"We think this event is good for our company," he said. "It fits our business goals."

Ecclestone said he doubts there is enough money in Central Indiana to support three major races. In addition to the 500, the Speedway will host NASCAR's Allstate 400 at the Brickyard on Aug. 7.

"That's why you've got to bring people in," Ecclestone said. "I thought that was the point of being here."

trauma1
06-20-05, 12:33 PM

Track rental.
what is the agreement??, i was understanding FTg was forking out 15 to 20 mil to have bernie bring his circus to IMS :confused:

Spicoli
06-20-05, 12:37 PM
what is the agreement??, i was understanding FTg was forking out 15 to 20 mil to have bernie bring his circus to IMS :confused:

I was told a couple years ago that BE rents the facility from TG. BE effectively controls everything but the promotion of the event, including net ticket sales. Things may have changed as this was during the 01 or 02 event.

Ziggy
06-20-05, 01:11 PM
Im pretty sure it's the other way around. Tony pay's Bernie (15 million) Bernie gets signage, Tony gets ticket sales and concessions.

Spicoli
06-20-05, 01:30 PM
Im pretty sure it's the other way around. Tony pay's Bernie (15 million) Bernie gets signage, Tony gets ticket sales and concessions.

Could be. Or maybe that was the first contract. All I know is its more money than I will ever see.

EVL29
06-20-05, 01:51 PM
"One man who came to Indianapolis from Denver says he's not angry with the IMS, but they will hear from him.

"They're the people I bought the ticket from so I'm going to be talking to them about getting my money back," he said. "

Defender made the news,eh? :laugh:

Spicoli
06-20-05, 01:54 PM
"One man who came to Indianapolis from Denver says he's not angry with the IMS, but they will hear from him.

"They're the people I bought the ticket from so I'm going to be talking to them about getting my money back," he said. "

Defender made the news,eh? :laugh:

Defender lives east coast. I had a beer with him on Saturday. :thumbup:

Seriously.

devilmaster
06-20-05, 01:59 PM
Could be. Or maybe that was the first contract. All I know is its more money than I will ever see.

Now now, you're probably one of the most vocal ones on TG.

Next time you see Fred Nation, tell him that you'll quiet down for 5 to 10 mill a year, then start your own Champcar team with that money. Tony pays for Champcar team - thats a headline for the ages ;) :D

Spicoli
06-20-05, 03:09 PM
Now now, you're probably one of the most vocal ones on TG.

Next time you see Fred Nation, tell him that you'll quiet down for 5 to 10 mill a year, then start your own Champcar team with that money. Tony pays for Champcar team - thats a headline for the ages ;) :D

I almost feel sorry for Fred today.

almost. ;)

Tony George
06-20-05, 03:21 PM
I got to listen to the Inheritor speak last Thursday evening. He talked about his visions among other things. He is such a skilled orator! :gomer:

Rus'L
06-20-05, 04:08 PM
I was told a couple years ago that BE rents the facility from TG. BE effectively controls everything but the promotion of the event, including net ticket sales. Things may have changed as this was during the 01 or 02 event.

This is COMPLETELY wrong.

Spicoli
06-20-05, 04:13 PM

nice to meet you too. Care to share with the class the details of the contract?

Spicoli
06-20-05, 06:46 PM

OK, but according to Dave Callabro - IMS employee, on 1260WNDE local sports radio about 5:15 gomer Central Time TODAY:

"This is a TRACK RENTAL DEAL by BE."

So you might wanna take it up with him.

nissan gtp
06-20-05, 08:56 PM

Seriously.

next up, Doc Austin, he's east coast too :rofl: :saywhat:

Rus'L
06-20-05, 10:27 PM
OK, but according to Dave Callabro - IMS employee, on 1260WNDE local sports radio about 5:15 gomer Central Time TODAY:

"This is a TRACK RENTAL DEAL by BE."

So you might wanna take it up with him.

F1 doesn't pay for anything.

What people are probably getting confused over is that F1 comes in and runs the event exclusive of the local contingent. Thus, it feels like a track rental, but the promoters pay a lot for this "privilege."

Besides, if it was a track rental, why does IMS lose a ton of money on it every year?

Methanolandbrats
06-20-05, 11:06 PM

Seriously. :saywhat: this must be an omen of reunification.

trauma1
06-21-05, 07:53 AM
apparently tg is paying bernie a bit of cash this according to f1racing.com

"F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is tipped to land in court after Indianapolis Motor Speedway bosses fumed at their unfair treatment in the US grand prix. Indy CEO Tony George forked out a cool $13.5 million for Sunday's absurd six-car procession."

Rus'L
06-21-05, 08:29 AM
apparently tg is paying bernie a bit of cash this according to f1racing.com

"F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is tipped to land in court after Indianapolis Motor Speedway bosses fumed at their unfair treatment in the US grand prix. Indy CEO Tony George forked out a cool $13.5 million for Sunday's absurd six-car procession."

Game, set, match.

Sean O'Gorman
06-21-05, 10:21 AM
Hey, that $13 mil got him six more cars than a victory in court in Jan '03 would've. ;)