PDA

View Full Version : Michelin teams to boycott?!?

Pages : 1 [2]

dando
06-19-05, 02:45 PM
Man, those people sure look mad. I hope they don't do anything crazy... like lynch Tony George. :)
One could only hope.... ;)

-Kevin

NismoZ
06-19-05, 02:47 PM
It's good, though theat Matchett keeps defending the team's decisions...certainly not Michelin.

dando
06-19-05, 02:55 PM
What a crock of **** that response was by Newey on why the M cars gridded, but then parked! :saywhat: :shakehead :flame:

-Kevin

NismoZ
06-19-05, 02:57 PM
"If there is one thing Formula One is about, it's politics." I have heard many great quotes today. I wish I had been taking notes.

NismoZ
06-19-05, 03:02 PM
HA! The French network has turned off, because of all the flak Michelin is taking? Yup, politics.

dando
06-19-05, 03:04 PM
Bashfest! Varsha, et al. bash BE over his comments about the lack of marketing/promotion for the USGP. Me thinks his house of cards is about to come crashing down. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
06-19-05, 03:05 PM
This could very well be the nail in the coffin for 2007.
This will be long-lasting and painful for BE & co. IMHO, the rails have been greased for the other mfgs and M to leave in '07. Wow!

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-19-05, 03:08 PM
100 percent of the blame for this rest with Michelin. Bridgestone arrived with proper equipment and adhered to the rules. On one hand it's disappointing, on the other hand in a pure sporting sense, it's refreshing to see rules enforced. I wonder how that little French Michelin Tire Motorsport guy is doing today?

RaceCat
06-19-05, 03:10 PM
The guys on speed are speaking of feeling sorry for Tony George. I'm sorry I believe in KARMA. This is a disgrace to Formula 1 but the fact that it happend at TG's track is actually humorous to me. It's all about karma, I hope it costs him a pocket full of change. :)

dando
06-19-05, 03:10 PM
100 percent of the blame for this rest with Michelin. Bridgestone arrived with proper equipment and adhered to the rules. On one hand it's disappointing, on the other hand in a pure sporting sense, it's refreshing to see rules enforced. I wonder how that little French Michelin Tire Motorsport guy is doing today?
I agree, but no one wins after this debacle. Ferrari looks bad because they didn't go along w/the compromise, FTG becuz of the track changes, M due to the tire fark up, the M teams becus of the pathetic 'start' of the 'race', etc., etc., etc.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-19-05, 03:13 PM
I agree, but no one wins after this debacle. Ferrari looks bad because they didn't go along w/the compromise, FTG becuz of the track changes, M due to the tire fark up, the M teams becus of the pathetic 'start' of the 'race', etc., etc., etc.

-KevinFerrari did'nt go along with the compromise because Max said no points if they put in a chicane. Ferrari arrived prepared, so why should they be penalized.

trish
What compromise?

edit: that was to dando, not to the above post.

That doesn't sound like much of a compromise.

Jag_Warrior
The guys on speed are speaking of feeling sorry for Tony George. I'm sorry I believe in KARMA. This is a disgrace to Formula 1 but the fact that it happend at TG's track is actually humorous to me. It's all about karma, I hope it costs him a pocket full of change. :)

I feel something for him too, but it's not sorrow.

Pure :rofl:

gjc2
06-19-05, 03:14 PM

Is the possibility that there will be some problem with his Cup race to much to hope for? I think not.

George

devilmaster
06-19-05, 03:23 PM
Is the possibility that there will be some problem with his Cup race to much to hope for? I think not.

George

The announce team talked about how the paving done over the winter was terrible. they had to grind it down, and how they cancelled the first indy test due to it, they ground it again, and ran the indy 500.....

They talked about how its possible that bridgestone knew about the track because of firestone's indy 500 running. (they're the same company) They also talked about the nascar tire test was also delayed.

Its not too much of a stretch to say that the track could have played a part in this.

dando
06-19-05, 03:25 PM
What compromise?

Ferrari was the lone team not to agree to the chicane. IMHO, that was not a viable solution, but they look bad because they did not go along with it. M is in the wrong here, but it's the perception. See the article I quoted from earlier from ESPN/AP.

-Kevin

dando
06-19-05, 03:27 PM
Amen 'Cat. He's screwed since the M teams were on the grid to 'start'.

-Kevin

dando
06-19-05, 03:38 PM
How surreal. 2 bad BE left already. Someone smack FTG in the head with a beer can.

-Kevin

trish
06-19-05, 03:39 PM
Let me guess what the crowd is saying

F--k F1

dando
06-19-05, 03:48 PM
@ least Ruebens is the reasonable one of the bunch.

-Kevin

devilmaster
06-19-05, 03:58 PM
Someone smack FTG in the head with a beer can.

-Kevin

The guy talking to the drivers before the podium told them that the IMS people would not participate in the podium. TG was no where to be found....

dando
06-19-05, 04:01 PM
The guy talking to the drivers before the podium told them that the IMS people would not participate in the podium. TG was no where to be found....
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=f1&id=2089850

Fans were booing and some threw water bottles on the track in disgust. After just 10 laps, many spectators began heading for the exit gates. There were reports of thousands of fans showing up at the ticket office demanding refunds, and that police had been called to keep the peace.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Tony George didn't immediately respond to an interview request by The Associated Press.

FTG was last heard asking, "Where's Fred?". :gomer:

-Kevin

devilmaster
06-19-05, 04:03 PM
In chat we were discussing the possibility of trouble at the track today and tonite....

No one wanted it though.

Ed_Severson
06-19-05, 04:05 PM
Just got back from the race that wasn't ... what a ****ing disappointment.

I had been trying to decide between Bridgestone and Michelin for my next set of tires, but I guess that problem's solved.

A few laps in, a few idiots started throwing stuff at the track, and I saw a couple of extra special idiots throwing beer at the marshals. One guy managed to get a full water bottle over the catch fence, which both Ferraris drove directly over. Shortly after that, my wife and I left.

Thank goodness nobody got seriously hurt today, but if IMS doesn't send me my money back for this one, they'll be dealing with my attorney, and it'll be a cold day in hell before they see another dime of my money.

dando
06-19-05, 04:17 PM
Just got back from the race that wasn't ... what a ****ing disappointment.

I had been trying to decide between Bridgestone and Michelin for my next set of tires, but I guess that problem's solved.

A few laps in, a few idiots started throwing stuff at the track, and I saw a couple of extra special idiots throwing beer at the marshals. One guy managed to get a full water bottle over the catch fence, which both Ferraris drove directly over. Shortly after that, my wife and I left.

Thank goodness nobody got seriously hurt today, but if IMS doesn't send me my money back for this one, they'll be dealing with my attorney, and it'll be a cold day in hell before they see another dime of my money.
I'll bet that's the one we saw on TeeVee. Which turn were you in? Glad to hear you and your wife made it out safe and sound. Me thinks FTG and IMS will be dealing with a few attorneys shortly.....

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
06-19-05, 04:23 PM
We were sitting between 8 and 9. Quite a few people near there tried to throw items onto the track, but only one made it. After that, one of the marshals came over and started fingering the offenders to track security, at which point a few drunks began throwing things at him.

Just a bad day all around. Nobody wins in this one.

But hey, at least I got home in time for the start of the Champ Car race! :gomer:

oddlycalm
06-19-05, 04:55 PM
TG was no where to be found.... Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.... :laugh: Now the bumble**** has to do or say something, and he undoubtedly has no idea what that is.

I'm certainly sorry for the fans that paid money and showed up, but between TG's local yocal resurfacing farce and Mosely not being able to make a practical decision that takes safety into account, they certainly have ready made targets.

oc

Insomniac
06-19-05, 07:20 PM
Ferrari was the lone team not to agree to the chicane. IMHO, that was not a viable solution, but they look bad because they did not go along with it. M is in the wrong here, but it's the perception. See the article I quoted from earlier from ESPN/AP.

-Kevin

I thought they agreed to the chicane, but not to refuse to race with the Michelin teams. Jordan and Minardi were willing to do that.

Insomniac
06-19-05, 07:22 PM
Pointless now, but how in the world were they going to put a chicane in that quickly? Superglue the curbs to the track?

dando
06-19-05, 07:34 PM
Pointless now, but how in the world were they going to put a chicane in that quickly? Superglue the curbs to the track?
Tire wall ala The Glen.

-Kevin

dando
06-19-05, 07:43 PM
I thought they agreed to the chicane, but not to refuse to race with the Michelin teams. Jordan and Minardi were willing to do that.
From an AP article from just before the race (link is in a post earlier in this thread):

In an effort to salvage it, Michelin bosses met with Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone in a lengthy, closed-door meeting Sunday morning that ended roughly 90 minutes before the scheduled start of the event.

Several team bosses said nine of the 10 teams agreed to run if a chicane was placed in the final turn to slow speeds. Ferrari was the lone holdout.

-Kevin

KLang
06-19-05, 07:52 PM
I didn't actually watch any of this but from what I've read here I'm just laughing myself silly that this happened at FTG's track. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

NismoZ
06-19-05, 08:04 PM
Ferrari had no reason in heaven to bail out either Tony George, Michelin, the FIA or Bernie. It was NOT their responsibility or "fault" to see that the race either did or did not run. I totally reject any "blame Ferrari" scenerio. Who felt sorry for them with their earlier tire woes? I'm guessing this may make it easier for F-1 to make a "single tire" choice in the near future, and I don't think it'll be Hoosiers! I felt badly for many of the fans also, but how 'bout the one's throwing bottles and cans onto the track? We can understand their emotion but do any of you condone what they were doing? Now, I wish I HAD gone this year, just to say I saw F-1 history! All those 1000s of Mexican fans storming the track at the '68 Mexico City race doesn't even equal this...though all the teams ran at reduced speed so an even bigger riot didn't ensue!

Jag_Warrior
06-19-05, 09:51 PM

George

The Cup boys are still tender over Humpy's hack job on the track surface in Charlotte - plus they're having tire problems no matter where they run this year. Boy George might want to schedule some overtime and get the IMS surface 100% right before NASCAR comes to town.

I'd rather face down fifty mad F1 fans than ten mad NASCAR fans.

stroker
06-19-05, 10:16 PM

I thought that WAS FTG...?

L1P1
06-19-05, 10:34 PM

OT, but originally, FTG was a direction, not a noun.

IMHO, the clear solution was to put the chicane in (with tires or cones) but only award championship points to Bridgestone shod cars.

devilmaster
06-19-05, 10:41 PM

At first i thought it was too, but then he was the only guy to hand out stuff and Derek daly said that he knew him and was an old team mechanic now working for f1(he even mentioned his name, but i forget what it was)

L1P1
06-19-05, 10:48 PM
At first i thought it was too, but then he was the only guy to hand out stuff and Derek daly said that he knew him and was an old team mechanic now working for f1(he even mentioned his name, but i forget what it was)

I think Steve said he was a marketing guy from Allsport(?).

stroker
06-20-05, 11:20 AM
who knew the rejection of the EU constitution would lead to all this? :eek:

TFF!!^^^^^^^^^

stroker
06-20-05, 11:24 AM
OT, but originally, FTG was a direction, not a noun.

IMHO, the clear solution was to put the chicane in (with tires or cones) but only award championship points to Bridgestone shod cars.

I believe the acronym has dual-usage as both an imperative and an adjective if you add "-ing" to the verb.

:)