PDA

View Full Version : Tony George's worst fear is...

rabbit
03-07-03, 01:46 PM
...a non-Indycentric CART.

The Indianapolis 500 is fading into oblivion. Nobody cares anymore. Heck, they are looking at best-case scenario estimates of 36 entries. That's hardly the stuff positive headlines are made of. CART almost killed itself trying to get back to Indy. Now it will experience its greatest growth by ignoring it. Indy has long been the IRL's 500-pound gorilla. What good is an "Indy" Racing League if Indy is no longer the center of the racing universe? None.

The media will come around. They just like to beat on someone while they're down. The IRL will be the one that's down in due time. Then the media will turn on it.

pchall
03-07-03, 02:04 PM
That's always been a problem. When the championship series is bigger than Indy, everything is haywire in the Hulman-George universe.

sundaydriver
03-07-03, 03:16 PM
Boy George's worst nightmare is going to be Toyota and Honda leaving to go Cup Racing taking with it their teams. Who will then be around to run in circles?

Spicoli
03-07-03, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sundaydriver
Boy George's worst nightmare is going to be Toyota and Honda leaving to go Cup Racing taking with it their teams. Who will then be around to run in circles?

DaeWoo, Hyundai, Kia ? :saywhat:

I seriously hope CARt can come thru with a schedule date opposing the I500. And downtown street race in Chicago could be the biggest race on the schedule.:thumbup:

I'd be there in a heartbeat.

"Never again. Never Again." Paul Tracy, 2002

RaceChic
03-07-03, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Spicoli
"Never again. Never Again." Paul Tracy, 2002 Bring it on.............This might just end up being the overall consensus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JLMannin
03-10-03, 05:23 PM
If CART were to do a race in direct opposition to Indy, I think it would be cool to have it on a European road course. I think going up head to head with Indy and NASCAR on TV is not a good idea. I think the real benefit of a race in direct opposition is to rid the series of teams with Indyitis.

I have changes my tune from that of an advocate of Cherry-Picking to one of aversion to IMS.

RaceGrrl
03-11-03, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by JLMannin

I have changes my tune from that of an advocate of Cherry-Picking to one of aversion to IMS.

My attitude about cherry-picking the 500 was always one of "Well, if they have to go, at least they can go and kick ass." Now I'm just pleased that they don't have any apparent interest in going at all.

pchall
03-11-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
My attitude about cherry-picking the 500 was always one of "Well, if they have to go, at least they can go and kick ass." Now I'm just pleased that they don't have any apparent interest in going at all.

It is better not to go at all.

But I have always thought it was better to go and kick a$$ if that was what the Month of May meant to your sponsors.

Too bad TG and Company cheated Paul Tracy and his sponsors last year.